• This topic has 137 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I think its brilliant but terrible at the same time. I experienced really short chain life with it (started a thread on here about it) but decided the pluses outweighed the negatives in some circumstances.
    I have probably been using it for nearly a year now over 3 mountain bikes, 1 road bike and a commuter.
    My chameleons whole drivetrain was knackered after 234 miles and needed replacing. My nomads has lasted a bit longer (close to needing replacing) but does shorter rides so gets lubed more often. I have gone back to traditional lube on my road bike, commuter and xc bike where i don’t care if they get messy.
    I really like the fact with it that you can simply hose the drivetrain off after a muddy ride and it looks new so for me that is worth the short drivetrain life on the 2 bikes.

Simon

Tried Ultimate Bike spray but I’ve gone back to traditional wet chain lube.
    I’d rather have a mucky drivetrain that lasts, rather than a clean drivetrain that wears out quickly.

roverpig

I find that UBS builds up over time. At first it wouldn’t last a whole muddy ride, but I’ve been applying it after almost every ride for a few months and now it seems to last just fine.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting, I guess I can take a small bottle/dispenser with me on rides and use as of when required if it runs out, given its not mucky it wont be a hard faff to do so

may just give it a shot this weekend see how it performs!

mikey3
    Free Member

I fell for the hype on this stuff,found it to be pretty crap,you need to set up an iv drip on the bike to make it last longer than 5 minutes.Think I,ll stick with a wet lube and clean and look after my chain/drivetrain ,I use my bikes daily and my stuff lasts ages but I guess I was looking for that holy grail of lubes that work and are clean,it doesn’t exist.

STATO
    Free Member

I use it on my commuter (SS) which gets left outside during the day. Its ok normally, but a wet ride in or hitting puddles (or rain during the day) means youve got no lube for the ride home. Applying every day and getting build up helps, but a few wet days in a row and your back to nothing, even with continued application.

nibby
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some of this. Mostly as I’m lazy and want the easiest way of keeping bike/drive/chain clean in the quickest possible time.

I’m put off a bit by some of the latest comments but previous were really good.

I suppose I’m looking for a one bottle solution that let’s me spray and forget.

They have a starter offer on at the moment of one 750 ml bottome and a 50ml trailpack application.

How long would something like that last me?

commute 4x per week and ride at the weekend, mtb once a week.

any updates would be great.
    cheers

scotroutes

The best I can say about this is that when you get home after your ride, this lube hasn’t spread itself all over your bike. Which is a bit strange as it’s certainly not on the chain either. Maybe it works if your ride lasts less than an hour, it’s never raining and you apply it before every trip

iainc

I bought some last time round and tried it on a few local rides on mtb. it didn’t work at all for me in that it was all washed off and chain sounding dry and squeaky within 20 minutes. Was fairly damp riding conditions mind.

I applied it correctly, to a clean, dry, degreased chain.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a love hate relationship with this product. My comments above still stand but I now have a few more negatives.
    I have given up on it on my commuter as it would need reapplying morning and night. I have given up on it on the road bike as it just doesn’t last long enough on a ride. I have given up on it on my xc bike again because it doesn’t last a whole ride.
    But I still use it on my nomad and chameleon. These do more rides but the rides are not as long so the scottoiler just about lasts long enough. But if the ride is wet I think it washes straight off.
    I still like the fact that the drivetrain can be easily washed off but I’m finding that even though I have applied it straight after washing the next day the chain and cassette is slightly rusty and looks very dry.

tomd
    Free Member

I was going to post up on this thread with my recent experience.

I bought the spray bottle and small trail bottle pack just after New Year to try out on the road bike and mountain bike. There seemed to be mixed reviews on this thread so I thought was worth a go.

For “normal” winter road riding it is totally useless as a chain lubricant. My commute is around 10 miles each way on a mix of roads and cyclepaths. There are quite a few puddles and mulch on the tracks but nothing extreme. It needs applied twice a day to avoid grindy chain syndrome.

Last week I forgot to reapply for the ride home. When I got the bike out on Monday the chain was rusted completely solid. I had been applying liberal amounts and coating the chain completely. I’ve gone back to normal lube again as I think continued use will seriously impair chain life, if it hasn’t already.

I have also used it to coat the frame on my road bike and mountain bike. It does make them easier to clean and hopefully helps a bit with corrosion from road salt. The jury is out on this and a bit of GT85 and rag would probably achieve a better effect for less money.

I’m also a bit uncomfortable with how much of it ends up down the drain, can’t be very good for the environment. It’s also expensive considering the waste. A can of GT85 and a bottle of good quality lube is less and lasts longer.

I wanted this to work and have given it a good go in winter conditions but I won’t be buying any more.

AlexSimon

I’ve gone back to RnR Extreme for drivechain.
    Too light for winter.
    For some reason, on the CX bike it seemed to make the paint easier to clean with a rinse, but it doesn’t seem to help on the MTB.

So for now, I use it on the CX frame and bits and bobs, but use RnR Extreme for the chain.

nibby
    Free Member

Cracking, thanks for the replies guys, great help.

I’ll stick with a bottle of gt85 and some lube and extra 20 mins cleaning.

cheers

lovewookie

I found that post ride wipe with a rag and apply to the chain was fine. but I’d reapply pre ride too, and for longer rides, I’d carry about 30ml in a small squeezy bottle if I needed it. Still haven’t used that.

for me, it’s better than scrubbing the chain, it’s much easier to dry off the chain and reapply.

however, this is mostly due to my post ride routine changing over the years, limiting time I spend with my bike…;-)

I used to get home from a ride, sort myself out, then spend about 20 mins cleaning the bike down, where it would then be left to dry in the kitchen.
    This then changed to coming back in, family stuff, forget to put the bike away until 8pm, put it in the shed, maybe remember to wipe it down, repeat for 3 or 4 days. Wash the bike maybe once a week. chain got very very crappy very very quickly.

I now have a small heater in my shed to dry the bikes out (and my tools) and the UBS has made keeping the drivetrain clean less of a heartbreak.

So I guess it does depend on how you do things, but for me it works, even if there is a small chance i’m underlubed..

iainc

^^^ nick, I have an unused starter pack I got from them online – not worth posting, but seeing as you’re local, you’re welcome to it ?

stevious

I tried this on a couple of our bikes and noticed that the jockey wheels had worn really quickly in that time. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just a coincidence?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I killed a whole drivetrain in no time using scottoiler. I cant remember the exact number but 230 ish miles rings a bell. It was all new parts and lasted about 1/4 of what I normally get from drivetrain when I use a more conventional oil

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve used UBS (or the predecessor, Active Fluid) for years on my winter/commuting/touring/general bike. I like it because it avoids the usual dirty gunk that builds up on a workhorse bike over winter. The crucial thing for me, however, is that I use the original Scottoiler oiler device, so it’s dead easy to squirt a wee bit on the chain whenever it is required.

Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?’ is closed to new replies.