Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scottoiler UBS & Drivetrain Wear
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I switched to Scottoiler UBS a few months ago and until last night I was very impressed.
    Last night I took my daughter out for a ride and my gears were badly grinding. I check my chains often after a couple of months use and always replace at 0.75% wear which is normally around 1000 miles / 8 months per bike and I always change the cassette and front ring after 3 chains as a matter of course.
    When I got home I checked the wear with my chain tool and It fell into the 0.75 gauge easily, surprised I tried it on the 1% side and again it fell in easy with no resistance. Checking online I have ridden 234 miles on this chain, cassette and front ring and its worn well past any I have had before. The chain even has material missing from the side plates where it’s been rubbing. Unfortunately it has also worn the narrow wide and cassette past re-use. It’s not the first drive train on the bike and that one lasted ages and my riding hasn’t changed apart from using this bike less due to getting another bike.
    I always cleaned the bike after use and re-lubed in plenty of time before riding again as per the instructions
    I Think I’ll still keep using UBS but I’ll probably buy cheaper chains (I normally use sram 1091r) and check sooner to prevent the ring and cassette wear.
    I always thought the drive train sounded dry especially on a wet ride but hoped that by magic it was still being lubricated. Obviously not.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You fail to mention how often you clean the chain.
    Just throwing lube at a chain will not rinse off grit and dirt, you do still have to maintain it!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Cleaned after every ride whether it dirty or not. That was the whole joy of using UBS being so easy to keep the drivetrain looking brand new.

Oh and I didn’t fail to mention it

I always cleaned the bike after use and re-lubed in plenty of time before riding again as per the instructions

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as per the instructions

There were instructions?

I don’t own a chain checker so it could be FUBAR’d, I just run one chain/cassette until the shifting’s bad enough that I do something about it. But it’s still shifting pretty much like new at the moment after 500 miles of which about 400 must be with UBS.

My method is just to wipe the chain with a dry rag to remove any stuck on dust then liberally apply UBS while slowly turning the cranks until it soaked and starts to drip off, then keep spinning for a minute or so until enough has evaporated enough that it’s sticking to the chain. Bit of old plastic behind the cassette to protect the brake and give the whole cassette a couple of squirts from the bottle, then leave it to dry. Drivechain cleaned and lubed in one step.

Stayed clean so far and I’ve not ‘cleaned’ the bike with water since using it.

It’s nowhere near as tenacious as Muckoff dry lube though, that got 100-150miles between applications before any drivetrain noise was audible, UBS gets about 50.

I’ll keep using it over the dry months as it’s so cheap, but I’d use something else on the road bike or for really long rides.

andysredmini
    Free Member

From the website
    After a long ride wash your bike with water and give it a quick spray with UBS. Just leave it on and your bike is ready for the next run. Pay particular attention to the chain set and chain. If you can’t access a bike wash, spray with UBS as it will protect your bike and make it easier to clean when you can. UBS is safe to use on all bike parts EXCEPT brake pads and discs. If you get UBS on the discs or pads don’t panic! It easily washes off with water.

After every ride I cleaned the drivetrain so it was spotless (only because it was so easy to do) then sprayed the chain as I turned the cranks until the chain was soaked and dripping. Then I sprayed the cassette and chainring.

I read somewhere about not applying and riding straight away until it dried so I have never done that.

I’m not criticising UBS as the cleanliness is worth some decreased drivetrain longevity I’m just surprised how much less I got than when using more traditional lubes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you get UBS on the discs or pads don’t panic! It easily washes off with water.

Not sure this is a desirable quality in a chain lube.

deejayen
    Free Member

Is this the same lube they used to package with their Scottoiler squeezy thingy?

I tried one of them years ago, and wasn’t very impressed by the lube. The instructions said you had to re-apply it every 15 minutes or so. Also, they said it would wash off on in the rain, but that the rain water would keep the chain lubricated until it started to dry, then you were expected to give the chain another dose.

I seem to remember it was a load of hassle, messy, and not very effective. The final straw came when it froze up in winter.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ve used this stuff and cant honestly say that i’m happy with it.

“I’ve not read any instructions “which is probably why my chain does not look like the ones in the advertising blurb”

Mine doesn’t go sticky, its wet and drips off a bit, then it drys off………….
    The video showed 3 bikers with caked up bikes, a quick hose off and they were like new again, i tried this and it wased off the muck, the marks where the muck was remained as the hazy residue it left behind clung to the frame and made it look old and weary, so now i just wash it with soapy water and spray with GT85 when the weathers wet and it has a better effect “For Me” unlike the lucky sods in the video who had been out all day, had multiple runs and were rewarded with pristine bikes?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I gave up using it as an all over bike spray pretty quickly. It was no easier to clean than just a brush and a bit of water. It really worked well on the drivetrain though. That came up spotless with barely any effort. I agree with the comment above about it washing off brake pads. If it washes of pads easily what’s stopping it washing off the drivetrain easily?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Your error is checking your chain. I just don’t bother. I spend so much time doing it at work, selling drivetrain parts, but I do exactly the opposite on my own bikes. I fit a chain and cassette then run it until it skips. It’s amazing how much longer they last when you don’t give a shit!!

bigjim

what is this stuff? some kind of oil/water emulsion?

bikeneil
    Free Member

UBS. Utter BS?

whyrd
    Free Member

I’ve been using UBS on the road bike from new and just checked the wear, the 0.75 isn’t close to dropping in after 1000 miles. I use a wet sponge on the chain after nearly every ride, then re-apply using a dropper bottle, then finish with a few sprays whilst spinning the cranks. I will say that it’s s### on a wet ride when it washes off completely after about 2 hours.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scottoiler UBS & Drivetrain Wear’ is closed to new replies.