Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scottish roadtrip?
  • sambob
    Free Member

Got one planned for the beggining of july, but not really sure where to go? Want to do GT and Kirroughtree, but that’s all i know. Big mountain non trail centre centre stuff is something else i want to do. Any recommendations? Cheers.

polodingalong
    Free Member

Thinking of doing one with some mates as well this year. We’re based south west of Scotland as it is but want to go north and see some other riding spots.

Plan is to start on the west coast and work up round the top and back down the east, stopping off at the following;

Devil’s Staircase
    Fort Bill
    Somewhere natural in this day, maybe Torridon if not too far north
    Aviemore (Laggan probably)
    Somewhere east coast, not sure yet.
    Inners/tress
    Home

Suppose you could do something similar but with Kirroughtree to start.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s a huge area to cover – I would try and do a couple of areas at a time to minimise the driving a bit, meaning you have the excuse to come up again on another trip! For instance you could go to the Fort William area for a couple of days and do a couple of stonking big day rides and then do the same from Aviemore. In between you could have more of a trail centre day at the Witches Trail and/or Laggan. That should take care of 5 days leaving you the opportunity to do a couple of the 7 stanes either side of the main riding! A trip like that should whet your appetite sufficiently for future trips to the North West and Skye and on the other side of the country, Braemar and the Angus Glens etc. Lots of good stuff!

You’ll get great route advice off here from trail gnarled veterans with 1000 yard stares – have a search, there’s been plenty of threads.

druidh
    Free Member

Wot s_f says. You’re going to spend as much time driving as riding. Choose a couple of areas and just ride there. Scotland will still be here when you are ready to come back.

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers all. I see your point about the driving. Would quite like to get up to fort bill, so might stop off at GT on the way up, camp nearby, the drive the rest the next day, purely because i don’t want to spend 8 hours in the car driving past some decent riding.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Do you have a long drive to GT sambob? Have you ridden there before? If you’re relatively close or have ridden there before I’d drive on past. Or you could do a quick lap of Inners to break up a long driving day.

Davesport

Ft Bill
    Laggan Wolftrax
    Balblair
    Carbisdale (If you’re tired)
    Golspie

D.

polodingalong
    Free Member

The other guys have a fair point with the driving. For us being late teens, early twenties the driving is still part of the fun, we want to go do some of the northern roads and see a bit more of the country.

Choosing an area and exploring it does sound like a good plan, certainly borders area you have Dalbeattie an Kirroughtree, my favourite of the stanes and the riding at Fort Bill. is excellent.

Where abouts are you driving up from?

flyingfox
    Free Member

Think I’ve seen this thread before? You could spend a week around Stirling and have some of the most amazing natural riding on your doorstep plus it’s a great place for so many other things too!

sambob
    Free Member

Driving up from the Peaks. Mever been to any of the 7 stanes, but ridden at fort bill before. Mind you, i haven’t done the red run. WOuld it be worth getting all the way up there for that?

Davesport

WOuld it be worth getting all the way up there for that?

Probably not IMO. But in combination with the Ten under the Ben route & the fact that Laggan Wolftrax is just along the road, probably sways things towards yes 🙂

AJ
    Free Member

We have much more than trail centres, but i’m sure you know that
    Shortbread is on the money.
    But at the end of the day it’s your call.

Trekster

There is a lot more to Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders than the Stanes as s_f and others know. Can you read/use a map? If so OS78 is your friend.

This can be added on to a Drumlanrig ride for a big all dayer 😀

This one out of Moffat;

This one out of Ae;

Very easy to spend a week in the D&G/Borders area without doing Stanes rides and given the likely cost of fuel you can save yourself a £or2 🙄

Srangely enough I could end up riding quite a bit down your way, Peaks this year. Wifes pal has moved down to Alfreton and I know a few people down that area I can meet up with.

sambob
    Free Member

Those look good trekster, cheers. Will probably stay down towards Dumfries + Galloway rather going further up north. Do you have any GPX’s for stuff around there?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

No offence to Trekster but the riding to the south (Lake District) and most stuff to the north of Glasgow/Edinburgh is far better than the natural Dumfries and Galloway stuff. The D and G stuff is good though, don’t get me wrong, but in my opinion the trail centre’s there are better than the natural riding. But there’s nothing to stop you coming up again and again and doing different areas, of course.

Trekster

Do you have any GPX’s for stuff around there?

No, still do it the old fashioned way i.e. using a map and getting lost to find my way back 😳
    If you do stay in the Dumfries area Kirroughtree is 1hr from Dumfries and GT/Inners 1.1/2hrs away, so you could do all the Stanes easily and maybe chuck in Whinlatter on the way up or home 😀
    Some budget accom suggestions
    http://www.kippfordholidaypark.co.uk/index.php
    http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/
    http://www.gorsebank.com/gorsebank_equestrian/Gorsebank_Wigwams.html

shortbread_fanylion – Member
    No offence to Trekster but the riding to the south (Lake District) and most stuff to the north of Glasgow/Edinburgh is far better than the natural Dumfries and Galloway stuff.

Nae bother Dan, would not disagree. I have been enjoying what is on my doorstep recently and with the current rising cost of fuel will be exploring a bit more 🙂 Hows the lurgy?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Getting there John! Will be riding by the wk end if I keep the feet up I hope! It’s a good point you make about fuel though – filled up today 😯

I guess the OP will be travelling with others so they could split fuel costs.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Another vote for

kirroghtree and dalbeatie (borders)

North highlands
    Devils stair case and the Ciarian path. Close to Fort Will and Laggan.

Way up north!
    Also love golspie wildcat balblair (like Mcmoab at Kirroghtre)

Have a look at torridon for some of the best big mountain riding in the uk.

Torridon

Kirroghtree

Balblair

All good just a case of deciding how long youve got and far you want to drive.

Sanny
    Free Member

Sambob

For big mountain stuff, look to the Cairngorms for starters – Cairngorm, Ben MacDui, Carn Ban Mhor, Beinn a Bhuird – all top notch riding. Aviemore will keep you busy for a very long time. A bit of everything from fast tree lined singletrack to big mountain epics. There is also some cracking riding to be had round the Ballater area as well as in the Angus Glens e.g Jocks Road, Lochnagar, Capel Mounth.

There is also terrific riding to be had round Dunkeld and Pitlochry.

Mail me if you want more info?

Fort Bill itself is a bit of a dump and the dearth of decent restaurants make for a challenging time if you like your food. The riding round Kinlochleven however is excellent if you like things to be of a more techy nature.

Shortbread is absolutely right re choice. The trick is knowing where to start. There should be a feature on MacDui in the next issue of the mag coming out soon. That should give you an idea of some of the big mountain stuff in the Aviemore area. In July, the tops should be snow free though one of my mates was still ski touring up there last June!

If you could only stay in one place, Aviemore would get my vote. There are three excellent bike shops, plenty of places to get a good meal and lots of accommodation options. You’re also a short drive from Laggan and could also do the likes of Learnie or Golspie if you based yourself there.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

PS Shortbread

Planning a mini epic for the late Spring – Aviemore – Feshie – Geldie – Derry – Falls of Avon and finish with Bynack Mor back to Glenmore as a day ride. Interested? Also have Braeriach in my sights after the weather stopped play last year.

italspark
    Free Member

set a date, big boy…..im there
    happy new year by the way

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scottish roadtrip?’ is closed to new replies.