Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scottish Point to Point – recommendations please.
  • finners

I need a break from it for a bit. I have a week off in February and would like to get away for a couple of days. I live in Dundee but would like to get the train somewhere, for example the Highlands. Then i would like to cycle for a day camp over night then cycle the second day and maybe get the train back later the same day. With maybe a possible camp the night before riding and the night i finish. Any ideas / recommendations??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What sort of riding? Estate roads / doubletrack or singletrack?

Train to dalwhinnie, ride over to corrour?

Blair atholl to Kingussie via glen tilt / glen feshie?

finners

TJ – doubletrack and singletrack preferable. Doesnt have to be too far either. Maybe only few hours riding per day. want to ride a bit and chill at the campsite. Just fancy getting away….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

From dundee you really want to be on the east coast line – getting to and from the west would be a pain. So the blair atholl to kingussie one is a good possibility – a couple of different routes possible but both with some hike a bike in the middle

Or from dalwhinnie east to camp under ben alder – one of my favorite palces and again choices of route possible

Both of these go up fairly high tho – so beware of snow and bad weather.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Fife coastal trail to Edinburgh then choo choo back home?

finners

nah, was hoping for something a little more Highland. Lochs n burns n hills n tings 🙂

balfa
    Free Member

Not convenient for you on the east coast but the obvious one that comes to mind is Fort William or Spean Bridge to Bridge of Orchy using the west highland way or the trails around kinlochleven. You could camp or stay at the King’s House. You might get some route advice in this thread.

Or maybe Dalwhinnie to Corour/Rannoch or going round Ben Alder and staying in Ben Alder cottage.

Most of these routes go fairly high at somepoint so snow/ice may be a problem.

j_me
    Free Member

Train from Dunkeld to Aviemore
    Aviemore to Tomintoul via Ryovan Bothy and Abernethy Forest
    Tomintoul to Linn of Dee via Glen Avon and Larig an Laoigh
    Linn of Dee to Strathardle via Glen Tilt, Fealar lodge and Glen Fearnach
    Kirkmicheal to Dunkeld via Glen Derby and Loch Ordie

Great route, easy done with two nights camping.
    Almost a straight line right through the Cairngorms National park.
    Good mix of single and double track.
    Plenty good campsites and bothies en route.

<edit>probably not advisable in Feb though !!!! </edit>

bedmaker

Train to Ardgay, Cycle to Ullapool, camp, back the next day.
    Out and back rather than circular but a nice route.

AntM
    Free Member

+1 bedmaker

j_me where is Glen Derby?

flatfish
    Free Member

Liking some of those ideas

j_me
    Free Member

j_me where is Glen Derby?

Glen Derby is a small glen SSE of Kirkmichael.
    Follow it to the ruined Mains of Glenderby then over the hill to Loch Oisennach, which is the top of the “Loch Ordie Loop”

I have OS way points if you want them, mail in profile,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Point to Point – recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.