Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Scottish mountain Odyssey
  • fergal
    Free Member

I won’t pretend to be a virgin when it comes to riding my bike down mountains in Scotland, but i do love riding there and hearing about other peoples trials and tribulations.
    Please wax lyrical about your Scottish wanderings, or just maybe inspire with photos of your adventures, any outlandish descents you would like to tell us about, i won’t tell honest. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I took TJ up the Pentlands the other week, it was beautiful.

fergal
    Free Member

Ha ha the infamous TJ, Black hill on a tandem. Never ridden in the Pentlands where are the good bits.

druidh
    Free Member

There aren’t any (well, certainly not at the moment as it’s all a bit of a mudfest).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by good bits.

fergal
    Free Member

druidh please play ball, summer is on the horizon 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

fergal – Member
    druidh please play ball, summer is on the horizon

Not on mine it ain’t. Black Hill currently looks cold, dark and wet 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say the most fun trails are scattered fairly randomly over the Pentlands.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No mountains in the Pentlands for a start.

druidh
    Free Member

There would be if we built a 21 metre high cairn on Scald Law.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Go to this issue and there is the article i wrote about a bit of touring in the mountains. Kintail is an epic place to ride.

And from last weekend.
    See this thread.

13thfloormonk

Whose was the post about biking as many munros as possible? Started with some stunning photos of Ben Lomond. Was that you Dan?

I’ve written a few stories on here, start here and follow the link at the top back to the start

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cape-wrath-saga-the-final-days-kinlochbervie-to-durness-via-cape-wrath

Garry_Lager

The Pentlands must rank fairly low down on the list of Scottish Mountain Odysseys, but we must be thankful for what we have etc.

I reckon the climb from Spital farm to the Borestane is the best trail in the entire Pentland hills, and I recommend it to wee Fergal when the weather improves.

fergal
    Free Member

Proper mountains please, who brought up the pentlands!

by the way i don’t read singletrack, way to niche for moi.

Kbrembo
    Free Member
    fergal
    Free Member

Oh yeah photo’s of Ben Lomond would be nice, had the pleasure, but so enjoyable it’s nice to be reminded of the stunning riding.

fergal
    Free Member

Kbrembo thats more like it, cheers.

fergal
    Free Member

13thfloormonk fantastic blogging, followed your expedition during the summer, real inspiration to get out into the wilds and think outside the box.

Kbrembo
    Free Member
    singlespeeddan
    Free Member

13floor, Ben lomond wasn’t me but plans are definitely afoot for linking some bits I’ve found out about recently with some wel known routes.

robgarrioch

Made a bit of a solo effort last year here – Loch Maree & Letterewe. Only after being shown the true spirit by Mr. 13thFM though…

fergal
    Free Member

Kbrembo Torridon what can i say, nice looking wheels too 🙂

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Kbrembo, cracking pics. I recognise that Nicolai, do you ride Golspie and live in the Inverness area?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Torridon/Achneschellach circuit has to be the best in the UK. Awesome combination of riding and scenery

Annat descent by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Chippbutty…

Yip that would be me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Captain Mainwaring…link/onfo please…do-able as a weekender?

Pike

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m guessing thats the one in Kenny F Wilsons book. About 60km, doable in a day.

rickmeister

Fort William World Cup…. Greg Minnar less than 1 min before his start

Glen Bogle Beach

Loch Muick

Cairngorm Circuit

Jocks road. There is just about to be a bit of walking…..

Devils Staircase

Kenny Wilson’s “Walks With My Mountain Bike”

Torridon, up from Coulags

druidh
    Free Member

Kenny Wilson’s “Walks With My Mountain Bike”

😆

messiah
    Free Member

Ben Avon

Coming down from a Big Mac

River Avon crossing

Earn your descents boys

robgarrioch

Very lo-fi maps of routes around Torridon here – Torridon Circuit Google Maps.
    Parking at NG958569, then a mile or 2 north on the road to start the Coulin circuit. Hoping to do it once or twice this year myself…

irc

Some years ago a former workmate of mine and a friend did the full round of the Munros one summer by, or maybe with, MTB. There is a photo of them climbing the Innaccessible Pinnicle in Skye.

He had a nice print in his house of him abseiling off the short side of the Pinn with his bike over his shoulder. I think the bike he used was a rigid Rockhopper.

http://www.john.macpherson.btinternet.co.uk/fullimagepeopleg.html

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    epicsteve
    Free Member

I reckon the climb from Spital farm to the Borestane is the best trail in the entire Pentland hills, and I recommend it to wee Fergal when the weather improves.

I’m not convinced any climb could be a best trail – but perhaps that’s just me! My favourite trail in the Pentlands is the Nail Trail, followed by Black Hill – both off-limits when the ground is this wet though.

The only proper mountain I’ve mountain biked on was Mount Keen. Bit of a slog getting up there – but certainly the longest, fastest descent I’ve ever done!

Sanny
    Free Member

ir-bandito

What route was that you took?

Messiah

As ever, pics to inspire and make me want to ride the Cairngorms. Have you any more pics e.g. Braeriach, Lochnagar etc?

The MacDui route in the current issue is an absolute belter for a summer day with a bit of everything. I can highly recommend it.

Plans are afoot to try a bigger loop taking in Feshie over to Braemar and back via Falls of Avon and Bynack Mor as a Spring or early summer day ride

Right, now one for experts.

Where the heck is this bit of trail in the linked pic below?

Eagle's Coire

I can’t find Eagles Coire on the map. Any ideas of a rough location. It looks magic!

Cheers

Sanny

Garry_Lager

I’m not convinced any climb could be a best trail – but perhaps that’s just me! My favourite trail in the Pentlands is the Nail Trail, followed by Black Hill – both off-limits when the ground is this wet though.

It’s true that one of the drawbacks to the Borestane this way round is that the descent off the other side towards yellowbrick road is fairly ordinary. So you do a lovely sustained climb, nice out-in-the hills feeling, but the DH rewards are scant.

13thfloormonk

Haha! Finally learning the meaning of Gaelic hill names has payed off.

‘Eagle’ is ‘Iolaire’, and I remembered a ‘Coire na h-Iolaire’ near Bynack Mor. A little search on geograph…

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/229252

Carlos45
    Free Member

Over 10yrs ago I did a route from a book called “Scottish Mountain Bike Rides” or words to that effect. It started about 7 miles east of Ben Nevis, climbed on forestry track for 5 miles or so reaching one of the remote train stations north of Rannoch Moor, it was then some pretty awesome singletrack which dropped me out behind the back of Ben Nevis (due south) eventually by a river which we had to cross. Several miles later we ended up in Kinlochleven. This was about 30 mile in all if I recollect – it is a one way ride – i have to say it was fantastic – it was a bluebird day and very remote and not boggy like Ranoch Moor (apart from one 30 min section)

fergal
    Free Member

Some great pics and stories.

Sanny Braeriach really is an enigma, would love to know whether that descent north is a goer, will be up in those parts in may so will hopefully find gold in them there hills.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sanny, it was an attempt at the classic Cairngorms circuit a couple of years ago. For logistical reasons, we started at Tomintoul, but as we climbed the sides of Cullardoch, the weather closed in. We were saved, literally, by a pre-programmed gps. Found our way to the shooting hut on Bealach Dearg here

Home, the morning after by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Too much snow the following morning to carry on, so we pushed back down the hill, and went and stayed in a B&B in Aviemore for a couple of days and took on some low-level riding instead. But we’ll be back…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Scottish mountain Odyssey’ is closed to new replies.