Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scott Ransom, views?
  • julians
    Free Member

Anyone ridden a Scott Ransom?

What did you think of it? Or more specifically how does it compare to a specialized pitch, or enduro.

Cheers

robhughes
    Free Member

was thinking of buying one until i posted on here.
    expect -ve ness.

julians
    Free Member

ok thanks, sounds interesting…..

You dont see many about, I wonder why? They're quite cheap if looking at last years/years before model.

In a way its sometimes more useful to hear from the people who have negative opinions.

julians
    Free Member

Should have done a search before asking the question.

The issues seems to be centred around the proprietry rear shock, and snapped frames.

But those who havent had any issues, seem to be very happy with the way the bike rides.

Maybe a pitch or enduro is the safer option.

fisha
    Free Member

i like the look of it. one of scott's nicest looking bikes in a good while.

i remember when it came out, even some of the demo carbon frames snapped with the press riding them, and when i read up on them, the snap and cracking is something that was a theme.

as for the ride, dunno … never ridden one.

robhughes
    Free Member

06 s works enduro is the one to go for.
    bomb proof and great fun to ride.

Bregante

the guy who altitude adventure in the pyrenees used to work for Scott and he and his wife both ride carbon Ransom's. according to him the vast number of snapped frames have been the aluminium ones. A mate of mines experience seems to have bprne this out because he snapped two aly ones before scott gave him a carbon frame, which he's had for about two years and is still going strong. that shock is awesome when it works, the "traction" setting is superb

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

this will be the last year of the Ransom, it will be replaced next year.

GavinB

Alu ones snap, carbon ones are better.

Test rode one (Ransom 10) sometime ago, and didn't get on at all. Was fine on fast, swoopy singletrack but never felt at all composed on steep, rocky descending, plus I found all the switches for adjusting forks and shocks just got a bit faffy). I know someone who rides one for everything, from DH racing to all-day XC stuff. She's pretty light and so doesn't want a beefy DH bike. Having ridden one myself, I wouldn't buy one.

shermer75
    Free Member

Do you mean this kind of ransom?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ransoms were everywhere in the press when they were released, with pretty favourable reviews across the board.

Never seen many out there though. Price and shock I think were the main issues.

JimBowen
    Free Member

I've had a 2008 ransom 30 for the past year and love it. Paid £900 brand new 😉

After replacing the awfully unreliable Marzocchi forks with some Pikes it has been transformed.

No problems with frame, but blew a seal on the rear shock which scott serviced for free and the customer service was good.

Love the versatility of the bike and it has definately given me more confidence to ride steeper and rockier decents.

I would recommend a ransom. If you read reviews other people may have had problems but this is the case with most mtb products. sometimes you can buy a bike or component and be problem free, other times you may be unlucky and have problems. its all down to the post sales customer care.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Pretty good. Shock was good, Chain stay 'only aluminium part' snapped, twice.

Have carbon frame 10 with new swingarm going Cheap..Just need to get rid of it really.

JimBowen
    Free Member

What size fame RHno2 and how much do you want for it?

neil853
    Free Member

I've had a carbon Ransom for nearly two years and its been almost trouble free. Shock seal failed once and the guys at scott service uk turned it around free in a couple of days! its not as plush as a nomad or other longer travel bikes but its more capable as an all rounder. I've done uplift days and 24hr events on it and its coped really well with both!

As for the travel adjust switch i use that almost as much as changing gear! I'll miss it if and when i come to sell it. Overall it been a good bike, i'd recomend one.

JimBowen
    Free Member

Got to agree with neil about the travel adjust lever, use it all the time.

Amos
    Free Member

Slightly tenious but the funniest site I ever saw was a chap fully padded up in Dainese body armour full face riding a full carbon Scott Ransom (relevent bit) down the black run off whites level, as I wait at the bottom for my mate I look up to see this guy crawling down the run at 5mph with my mate in full lycra on his V-braked 1991 DBR team flying past him at about 30mph, the guy on the ransom looked shell shocked! had me in fits!

Sorry for the useless post but had to share that

JimBowen
    Free Member

Amos – sounds like a case of all 'all the gear, no idea' 😉

Amos
    Free Member

Massivley! Was a sight to behold! all the kit still sh1t 😆

RHSno2
    Free Member

Medium, shock needs servicing.

300 quid? Its in Switzerland but can bring it over next weekend.

JimBowen
    Free Member

RHsno2 can you e-mail me some details or photos?

bazrawlinson_8@hotmail.com

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scott Ransom, views?’ is closed to new replies.