Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Scots lot – Kirkintilloch
  • matt_outandabout

Wheres nice places near to live?

Thanks

Matt

druidh
    Free Member

Killin

BoardinBob

Killin’s 60 miles away from Kirki…

matt_outandabout

aye, and thats (possibly going to be) the problem…

fasthaggis

Milton of Campsie ( you could be a big Al regular 🙂 )

BoardinBob

Milngavie is nice and 10 miles away. Good riding on your doorstep, easy access to Glasgow. Looking at moving up there myself.

Strathblane is also very nice.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Milton of Campsie, Torrance, Lenzie (some parts of) are all nice enough. I live in Torrance FWIW, as does at least one other STW regular though I dont think we’ve ever met in person! Kirky itself is somewhere I’m not sure I’d live unless I was able to be very selective.

Avoid Lennoxtown and most places east of kirky. Bishopbriggs isn’t too bad but south of the train station is getting a bit more questionable again.

Milngavie is OK, some nice areas and some not so nice. Bearsden also mostly nice but more pricey.

MartynS

Milngavie, Bearsden.

Both my Grans Live in Strathblane

Dad Grew up in Lenzie.
    All seem nice…!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Milton of Campsie here.. perfect for me, close to the city and hills on the doorstep.

House is for sale too 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Having lived around there as a kid(strathblane , kirkintilloch) and my folks still live in Milngavie it would take an awful lot to move from where you are now Matt

None of the towns are awful but none are that nice IMO

Milngavie is a dull suburb, kirkintilloch an uninspiring town, stathblane is commutersville

Don’t think I would live in any of them by choice. Lenzie and Milngavie at least have a train service

deus

Stirling, or is that too far?

althepal

Live in Stepps, just between Kirky and the east end of Glasgow..
    Part of N Lanarkshire though so council tax and bin collections are much better!
    (jeezo, if the me from ten years ago heard me say that he’d laugh!!
    Anyways, Kirky itself is ok- nice parts and crappy parts- seems to suffer from weetown mentality of if you grandparents didn’t get one of the first council houses there in the 60s you’re an incomer-syndrome..
    Berasden, lenzie etc are nice but I prob couldn’t afford to live there!
    The area in general is good for its proximity to Glasgow but not actually being in Glasgow.. Some nice new roads built so if you drive you can be in the city centre in 15/20 min (outwith rush hour obv) but Lennox Forrest is only a short cycle away.. Think they’re trying to get some proper trails built rather than the (cough) unofficial stuff thats there..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Having lived around there as a kid(strathblane , kirkintilloch) and my folks still live in Milngavie it would take an awful lot to move from where you are now Matt

To be fair anywhere would be a bit naff in comparison with somewhere like Killin.

I don’t see your negativity towards the area, I’ve seen a lot of places and considered living in many of them and around here is not at the top of my list but it’s far far far from the bottom. So much so I’m avoiding very highly paid jobs in south central England to stay here. These areas are nothing like they were when you were a kid and some of the grotty areas of milngavie are just that but there are some lovely areas and in general it’s ideally placed near a really nice large city, far enough out to feel in the hills and away from the crowds and close enough to the hills for a decent weekend trip to be a snap decision. Personally can’t ask for more.

althepal

Jeezo- went back and read TJs post- that is fairly negative!
    What part of Edinburgh is it that you live in now then mate?

legend
    Free Member

Lenzie is really the obvious choice. A nice, if not exactly exciting, place and seconds from Kirkie. Glasgow’s just 15mins away on the train too, which means you don’t have to use the ropey pub

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Another vote for Milton of Campsie – really enjoy living here, easy access to Glasgow and the great outdoors, and they’re planning on building some nice new trails about a mile from here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I live in leith. It has its disadvantages as well but it ain’t dull. 🙂

Its just my opinion – and as I say my folks live in Milngavie nowadays

The location of these places is reasonable in terms of access to countryside and the city for sure. I just have a dislike of suburbs and commuter towns finding them souless and dull

Lenzie / milton I don’t know particularly and as I said lenzie has the advantage of the train line as does milngavie.

poly
    Free Member

Its all depends what you consider nice and close. e.g. We established a few weeks ago that TJ considers anything outside of Edinburgh (and possibly central edinburgh and leith) as depressing – but plenty of people live in ‘nice’ towns near Edinburgh and wouldn’t swap him. The same presumably applies here too – what are you looking for in a place to live? What do you consider close too… personally I’d rather spend as little time as possible commuting so would compromise on house to be closer to gain free time.

To illustrate the point:

TJ – Having lived around there as a kid(strathblane , kirkintilloch) and my folks still live in Milngavie

I’ve always suspected that TJ was secretly posh, and now he’s confirmed it! Having grown up in some less pleasant parts of Glasgow – anywhere in that area would be considered aspirational!

althepal

Oh aye, I hate these new estates that are springing up all over the place usually where there used to be marshland- no of course there’s never been a flood here but that’s nothing to do with the fact the estates only 2 years old and keeping our fingers crossed has seemed to work so far!
    Most of the places you mentioned don’t strike me as being (much) like that!
    Hmm-tries to remember if Leith (walk?) is still rough as or has been properly yuppie-fied in the 14 years since I last drank down that way..

althepal

What Poly said btw..!

althepal

Just to absolutely certain.. Do not, under any circumstances get Milton of Camsie and “The Milton” mixed up.
    Similar names, but very different!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

poly – not quite what I said.

I am sure there are nice places to live around there and as poly says its very much about what are your priorities. Maybe its a reaction to living there as a teenager for me?

Dunno what the schools are like nowadays and I know matt has kids – so anyone any info on the schools? This must surely be a large part of the decision?

althepal

Kirky has just built a brand new secondary school. All very nice and modern.
    Lenzie academy has got a good rep. Other than that…?
    You were pretty down on Milngavie (winner of Britain in bloom, best presented station, start of WHW etc) and Kirky (revamped canal paths, huge big skatepark, nice new road so you can get out quick) though TJ! I accept there’s new commuting estates springing up (and all over) but the majority of the residences aren’t like that! Hell it’s prob worse down here in Stepps- Cardowan anyone??
    Edit- having grown up in Springboig in the East end in the 70/80s (a sort of no mans land separating Shettleston, Cranhill and Barlanark) I would agree with Polys comment that the areas you seem to dislike are mostly (and always have been) pretty aspirational- I myself sometimes feel posh living in Millerston/Stepps for petes sake!!

matt_outandabout

Cheers all, and yes Killin and the views would be missed….not sure I would miss (some) of the villagers though….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough Poly and Allthepal. 🙂 Its all about where you are looking from what you see I guess. Me I see them as neither fish nor fowl

I’d have given my right arm to have had a monosyllabic name and to have not been the posh soft lad with the english accent when growing up in Glasgow and going to the local comp

To go back to the OP – for sure there are plenty of decent places to live in those northern Glasgow suburbs and towns if the bright lights of the city are not what you want. Anyone know more about the schools that given Matts situation being an important issue I guess

Does Lenzie have a decent town centre with a decent range of shops? I don’t know it at all but given its transport links and location maybe its the place? Big enough not to be too parochial? Sounds like the school is OK

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just have a dislike of suburbs and commuter towns finding them souless and dull

The one thing they offer is easy access to everything, peace and quiet generally and as much or as little village life as you feel the need to get involved in. In the other extremes you’re forced to either live next door to a thousand morons or live in a wee village with wee village mentality. Most offer pubs, most offer sports access and nice field surrounds and crime is relatively low.

GrahamS

I grew up in Mingavie and my sister lives in Kirkintilloch these days.

(and yes I am worried by how much I apparently have in common with TJ, especially as I’ve also lived in Edinburgh 😯 )

Anyways, yeah I think Milngavie is a fairly good place to bring up kids. Decent schools, lowish crime, easy access to country parks, nice middle class types.

I certainly enjoyed growing up there and kept my nose (fairly) clean.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Aberfoyle.
    Stirling.
    Callendar.
    Doune.

I myself sometimes feel posh living in Millerston/Stepps for petes sake!!

Holy smoke Batman!

matt_outandabout

meh, I dunny want the job anyway. The job at inteview did not match the description – by a long way!

irc

I’ve lived in Milngavie on and off since 1960s bar a few years in a flat in Glasgow and a couple of years in Canada. I’ve worked in Kirkintilloch and Lenzie in a job that got me all round the place.

Milngavie – good schools. One council house estate with a couple of areas that are dodgy late at night at corner shops. Not snobbery, my teenage son got robbed at knife point. A good pedestrianised town centre with a reasonable cross section of shops. If I was buying a house now I wouldn’t buy there unless I had family there. Why? Crap road connections compared with the rest of the Glasgow area. 20min minimum to get to the motorway network off peak. Double that or more in rush hour.

Lenzie and Kirkie in contrast have the new bypass so can get to the M80 in 5 minutes. Milngavie worked for me because I worked shifts so didn’t travel in peak hours.

As I said Milngavie has a few dodgy areas. Kirkie has far more.

Bearsen – One small dodgy area with a risk of homegrown violence. The parts of Bearsden within walking distance of Glasgow have a far higher risk of garages and sheds getting broken into. Same with Bishopbriggs which is all walking distance from Glasgow..

In contrast in Milngavie I don’t lock my car and in the last 21 years I’ve had one tax disc stolen. Milngavie is very low crime.

Me? If I was buying a house in the Kirkie area and being close to relatives wasn’t a factor I’d go for Lenzie taking into account walking time from the station and schools if my kids were school age. Good train service and car to central Glasgow in 10 minutes off peak.

steveoath
    Free Member

Lenzie – for reason’s above.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Scots lot – Kirkintilloch’ is closed to new replies.