Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Scots dislike overtaking
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Haahaa!

Just done the double overtake as I drove into Huddersfield from the M1!

Bloke in front was half asleep, but I could tell he wanted to go, but he was too slow so I had the both of ’em and he pulled out behind me after I stormed past.

You snooze, you loose. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Bloke in front was half asleep, but I could tell he wanted to go, but he was too slow so I had the both of ’em and he pulled out behind me after I stormed past.

Par for the course around here. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Decent Troll CK. Good Effort.

Cheers. Wasn’t a troll though.
    Gary M, you’d think, but no.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well you’re clearly doing something to wind other drivers up.

aracer
    Free Member

the original complaint was people getting annoyed when you push back into a small gap further up the queue as you leapfrog your way past

No – it was about people getting annoyed when you pulled back into a perfectly reasonable gap in the “queue”.

If people are leaving decent gaps, then there’s no problem with pulling back into one – if they aren’t then I wouldn’t attempt to (if I can see the people in front are all driving too close I wouldn’t attempt such an overtake). The people actually causing the danger are the ones closing the gaps, not the person performing a perfectly legitimate manoeuvre – see HC rule 168.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just done the double overtake

I don’t mind double overtaking – fine, you snooze you do indeed lose. However queue jumping is different – I’m talking four or five cars back.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

The ultimate ‘value’ (proven) is that drivers who have passed the advanced test have an accident record seven times lower than the average

Misleading statistic alert!

Correlation does not necessarily mean a causal link! Have you learned nothing from STW?

It’s mostly older people taking the IAM, isn’t it? Aren’t most accidents caused by young men? Boy racers aren’t going to join the IAM are they? All those things if true would completely mess up the stats.

Statistics FAIL.

Is there anything the IAM teach that you wouldn’t pick up by thinking about your driving over the years?molgrips – Member

The ultimate ‘value’ (proven) is that drivers who have passed the advanced test have an accident record seven times lower than the average

Misleading statistic alert!

Correlation does not necessarily mean a causal link! Have you learned nothing from STW?

It’s mostly older people taking the IAM, isn’t it? Aren’t most accidents caused by young men? Boy racers aren’t going to join the IAM are they? All those things if true would completely mess up the stats.

Statistics FAIL.

Is there anything the IAM teach that you wouldn’t pick up by thinking about your driving over the years?

Independent analysis (ok sponsored by the IAM :-)) has shown that whatever your age, sex or accident record you statistically will have a much lower accident record after passing the test (and be a better driver)!

I have taught people of all ages, as I said from 19 year olds to 65 year olds. Ok statistically young male drivers cause more crashes than anyone else but they still only account for 20%, the other 80% have plenty to learn. In my experience middle aged, high mileage drivers (who think they are the best drivers) often have most to learn.

@Cougar, yep I gather your ‘I’d rather go to the pub’ comment was aimed more at the social side of the IAM, as I said that’s not our main aim..

If anyone is in the Bristol / Bath area and fancies a drive I’d be more than willing to.

An alternative to the IAM, the ADUK forum is setting up a ‘driver network too:

Defensive & Advanced Driving Courses

Cougar

@Cougar, yep I gather your ‘I’d rather go to the pub’ comment was aimed more at the social side of the IAM, as I said that’s not our main aim..

To be honest, I was mostly trying (badly) to be amusing.

Cougar

Actually, I’ll expand on that.

When I looked into this, I wanted to improve my driving, and I wanted to bring my insurance premiums down. It’s probably at least ten years ago.

I thought “I’ll do the advanced test” but then when I looked into it it seemed to be that there was no such thing as “the” advanced test, but there were a few different options run by different groups. The IAM seemed to be the most widely recognised, but they seemed to be selling themselves primarily as this big nobby social club based around their l33t driving skills. Frustrated and confused, I binned the whole thing off as being far too complicated.

My original comments were perhaps a little unfair, as I’ve not looked into it properly in recent years.

Dougal
    Free Member

Coffeeking posted a very similar thread a while back, just this time he went for the bait title.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/idiot-driver

CK – Between this and the dogs-on-trails thread a year or so back, we Scot’s sure are lucky to have such a nice chap as you around.

You have nowhere to be in such a rush that it is necessary to enter any hatched area, so chill out, wait a little more distance, and overtake when it’s really safe.

Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Scots dislike overtaking’ is closed to new replies.