Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scotland Trip – advice needed
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Having now read two articles on riding on Skye and one about riding in the Torridon mountains I'm desperate for a biking holiday in Scotland.

I have taken a week off work early September and hope to head up to the North of Scotland.

My week would consist of Golspie, Laggan, Torridon and Skye using a day each for the trail centers, two days in and around Torridon and the rest on Skye.

Has anyone rode any of these natural trails and can share their experiences/provide any advice? Is there a suitable reference book detailing any trails in these areas?

Thanks

Vader
    Free Member

Kenny Wilsons book will cover all the wilderness routes and is recommended. It is on the shelf in the bookshop above nevissport in Fort William but youll probably want to get your hands on a copy before you come up.

I've ridden everything rideable in Torridon and most of the NW, and carried a lot that isnt. Be prepared to shoulder your bike for some big carries, even on KW's routes. The nature of the riding (and carrying) often means that what looks like a short ride can quickly turn into a bit of an epic day out. Take extra tubes – drainage ditches cause a lot of pinch flats until you suss out how to ride them! Lastly go easy on the trails and carry muddy and boggy sections, they won't get repaired like the trail centre ones unfortunately

acjim
    Free Member

I'd recommend this guide book, have a good time!

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Vader's got it pretty much covered, especially on the time it takes to cover the distance on the remoter stuff – I'd go with 'judge the time and distance of a route, then double it!'. I took MBR up to Torridon a while back so feel free to drop me an email if I can help with any route specifics, but Kenny's book is a great start.

😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Vader is spot on. Torridon definitely for a couple of days – you must do the Torridon/Coulin/Achnashellach/Fionn Abhainn circuit.

Unless you particularly want to do Skye, would suggest Cairngorms instead for the best choice of big "rideable" rides either from Aviemore or Braemar/Ballater

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks, appreciated.

I'll see if I can source the KW Mountainbike Scotland: The Highlands from somewhere. I'll get the V-graphics book as a starting point as their office is just round the corner from where I live.

Hello Andy, having just re-read the Torridon MBR article this morning I recognise the name. The photos of the routes you took look amazing. I'll drop you a line over the weekend if that's OK.

Cheers

Vader
    Free Member

Captainmainwaring makes a very good point on the skye vs cairngorms and i'd second it unless you really are hell bent on Skye. They are both awesome, just very different. Keep and eye on the forecast though as the east and west will typically have very different weather. Although currently it appears to be hosing down everywhere!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Are the Torridon routes point-to-point or big all day loops?

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Don't get me mixed up with the other (much more talented) Andy McCandlish, he's the snapper – I'm just the route monkey 😆

Look forward to hearing from you if I can help.

Andy (McKenna)

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Either / both. There's a fair bit of scope up there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scotland Trip – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.