• This topic has 44 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by irc.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Scotland touring route
  • SimonT
    Free Member

If you’re still following this, some more info that might be helpful?

The train companies do indeed play a game with ticket prices. From here I can get to Mallaig and back on 2 singles for £52 in April, but to Fort William is £80. Recent news stories suggest that they do check where you get on and off too. Different days also have different prices.

Mowgli – interesting – I’ll look into booking several legs separately.

Last year when I got to Glasgow, Scotrail were insisting on bike reservations for all trains. When I’d bought the tickets the travel centre assured me I didn’t need them (I’m assuming a rule change). So do insist on getting bike reservations for all trains in Scotland when you book. You can’t make them within 2 hours (I was told) of departure. I had to bluff but got away with it…

You can’t book bike res online (or can you now?). I look online & work out the best options for trains, then go to the travel centre in Worcester to book them together with the bike res. The folks at Worcester are very good at it.

Now I just have to wait until the May timetables are released, see what I can get. Touring the west coast of Scotland is fantastic and well worth all the train hassle.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You can’t book bike res online (or can you now?).

no still need to phone or go to the ticket office..

btw all trains north out glasgow basically need booked, you could get to stirling or mibbe perth without booking, but any further you defo need it

allyharp

Booking is a pain in the arse since you can’t do it online, and the accuracy of staff at ticket offices seems to vary a lot – with many telling you it’s not necessary.

I’d always make the effort to book if possible, but in my experience Scotrail conductors have never made too much of a fuss if you don’t have one.

In general West Highland line trains can take 6 bikes, but Highland Line trains only officially take either 2 or 4. I’ve been let on a 4-bike train that already had about 7 on it, but equally I’ve seen someone get asked to leave at Aviemore when I had a reservation and there wasn’t enough room for him.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Ok then – had a run through and you are fine till Lochinver.So you can run round the coast and pick up the drumbeg road,but and its a big one,its a slog to Kylesku,which means you will probably have to take in Scourie for munchies and a stop.Or you can miss out Scourie and head over to Achfary from Kylesku on the hill road(google earth it).From there you then run up the shoulder of Foinaven to Dionard and ride onto Durness for Munchies.Getting across on the ferry is no problem,just dont be late back or John the ferryman(old bugger) will leave you there.Its 23 miles there and back and the “road” is rough as anything,great views though.April to may(ish) there is no bombing(read road closures)on the Cape road because of the lambing.Now if Mr Deerman is no longer running the bus and no-one else takes on the mantle,you are well stuffed.I’m a local and the bus driver will not entertain me or anyone else for that matter(mucky bikes or some such crap).So your options are simply cycle out.Its worth thinking about Durness/Loch Hope/Gobernuisgach lodge/west Merkland and then either straight to Lairg or cut over into Glen Calvie from Corriekinloch and then onto Ardgy/Carbisdale youth hostel/train station.
    Let us know how you get on!!!

irc

Just to point out bike spaces can be booked online.The only exception I’m aware of is the Caledonian Sleeper.

Book at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

After choosing your tickets reserve seats. Only after this step is there a bike space option. Just picked up £10 singles from Glasgow – Inverness then Aberdeen – Glasgow in April.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Scotland touring route’ is closed to new replies.