Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Scotland this weekend. Midges?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Morning, heading to Scotland this weekend and am pleased to see that the weather is due to improve. What’s the likelihood of having to deal with midges?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mental. I got torn to shreds last night just walking to my outside toilet.

paladin

Not all of Scotland is affected by midgez

coastkid
    Free Member

Was at Glencoe last week and all were blown and washed away 😀

Still cold enough to keep them away in the midge hot spots

withersea
    Free Member

Starting at Kirroughtree and going on to Newcastleton. Not sure whether either are hotspots.

creagbhan

Was at Kirroughtree yesterday. Beautiful day and not a midge in sight.

fasthaggis

Laughs at beerless fridge .I didn’t notice any this morning while I was washing our clothes on the rocks by the river 🙂

withersea
    Free Member

Woohoo sounds like a good weekend ahead!

scotroutes

The food scraps burning in the fire at the mouth of my cave seem to be repelling any that are around.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Scotland is generally midge free until middle of May. Still too cold for them. Definitely none out at the moment and even if they were about it is windy so they won’t be around.

withersea
    Free Member

It was the forecasted improvement in the weather that made me worry about it. 14 degrees this weekend. Riding with no jacket!

skindog
    Free Member

14 degrees! “taps aff”!

Northwind

They were out at dalbeattie at the weekend but just the little ‘uns and not very bitey. Takes longer for the flying sharks to gestate I think.

Hopefully we’ll get a proper hard cold spell now to murder a few billion of them.

imnotverygood

Hopefully we’ll get a proper hard cold spell now to murder a few billion of them.

You sholud be hoping for the death of more than a tiny minority of them

scotroutes

I really need to “favourite” this on YouTube
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-s8bRDT3Qg[/video]

Northwind

imnotverygood – Member

You sholud be hoping for the death of more than a tiny minority of them

As long as it’s just the billion that normally bite me at fort william, I’m happy.

richmtb

I’ve seen a few out already, noticed some in the garden during the week and the were a few out when I was up at Comrie.

Must admit I’m a bit concerned about what they will be like this year. There has been very little snow or frost in a lot of places this year. I think its going to be a bumper year for the little shits

kennyp
    Free Member

Midges don’t generally appear till mid to late May. I suspect what people are reporting is something else entirely.

That said, if I’m wrong (and I’m certainly no expert) then March midges is a horrible prospect.

obelix
    Free Member

BBC interview with an entomologist said that this year is going to be a bumper year: perfect winter for egg survival, etc

matt_outandabout

scotroutes, would you have any sugar in, I thought about popping round for some if you have.
    😉
    You will be OK at the moment, although they are trying to grow.

“entomologist”- is that someone with a beard, jumper and a job on the radio?

rene59
    Free Member

You get non-biting midgies as early as February, not in the same amount of numbers as the biting ones though.

scotroutes

I’m sure I could have helped you out – though I’ve only just read this. Been over on the West Coast for a couple of days. Man cannot live by bread Cairngorms alone!

matt_outandabout

Oooh, nice pic.

br
    Free Member

Starting at Kirroughtree and going on to Newcastleton. Not sure whether either are hotspots.

Barely Scotland, you are within sight of the border.

And based upon the weather on my two rides this week, you are more likely to encounter snow then midges.

woody21
    Free Member

http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home/

This might be of interest

felltop

Scotroutes – good wasn’t it? Traversed Beinn Alligin yesterday and got slightly sunburnt! Far too cold for midges yet.

withersea
    Free Member

Just back. Loads of midges, but as many of you said they weren’t biting!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Scotland this weekend. Midges?’ is closed to new replies.