Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scotland MTB Routes
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Heading to Scotland on Wednesday evening and haven’t had the chance to plan anything yet.
    Will be driving up to fort William and probably spending a night in Penrith on the way ( I live in Oxford so it’s a 8/9 hour drive to fort William).

I have never been to Scotland before but have always wanted to go to Torridon but it may be a bit far for this trip as I’ve got to be back by Sunday

So I’m looking for some recommendations of routes around Fort William – will probably attempt the dh track, but looking for some other more Xc rides.
    Will also be doing some hiking so it won’t all be riding time.
    I have a Garmin so gpx files would be great or the friend I’m going with can read a map.
    Any help would be great.

Cheers
    Gabe

hainman
    Free Member

Forty so minutes out of FW and you have Laggan.Great trails

bruneep

FW DH will be battered and bruised after this weekend. Do you really want to ride it? Many other places I’d want to do before that.

gaberin
    Free Member

Anyone have any good routes in isle of Skye?

bruneep
    robertgray05
    Free Member

On Skye – Glen Sligachan. Rocky, technical, physical riding in stunning scenery.

Kilmarie over to Camasunary then up the glen to Sligachan hotel. I always ride out and back (from either end), as the loop alternative you’ll see on some sites gets boggy and involves a fair bit of road riding. Not that the roads in those parts are unpleasant!

robertgray05
    Free Member

Also, near Fort William – big sections of the West Highland Way are amazing riding. From the top of the Devil’s staircase heading north, for example. And a section going north out of Bridge of Orchy.

The Ciaran Path is up there too – infamous natural singletrack – but I found it to be several levels of technical riding above my skill level. I reckoned I could ride, too!

gaberin
    Free Member

Have now actually booked accomodation in applecross, may still go to fort William on the way as will be staying in Crianlarich to do some hiking on the way.

Thanks for all the advice.. Now to choose a route in Applecross – all looks amazing !

matt_outandabout

staying in Crianlarich to do some hiking on the way

Ben More and Stob Binnien are the obvious candidates – however a beast of a climb IMO. If you are fit and feel like a big climb, go for it.
    If not, the hills just to the south are nicer – An Caisteal and Beinn a’Chroin is a great day out, cracking views if you get a clear one.
    Other than that, as you are heading via Glencoe to go North, why not look up some Coe classics?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scotland MTB Routes’ is closed to new replies.