Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scotland Experts
  • Far
    Free Member

I know Skye has been discussed in some detail recently but I searched and couldn’t find an answer to my particular question – apologies if it’s been covered before. Anyway…

I’m heading up to Skye with a group of friends in May and we’re planning on riding the Sligachan loop. Most descriptions of the route describe the section through Srath Mor as being pretty boggy and rubbish. Has anyone ever ridden through the glen to the east (Srath Beag/An Slugan)?

Obviously this would add a bit of distance and climbing but if the trail’s better I figured it might be worth it?

Ewan
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m also interested in this route option – sounds interesting… anyone know the answer?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

looks ok:

more here

warning: Addictive website

Far
    Free Member

Thanks, it does look reasonably promising doesn’t it. It was actually looking at Geograph that got me thinking about it in the first place.

I was hoping someone might have ridden it but I guess we’ll just have to give it a try and see what it’s like.

cuckoo
    Free Member

I rode the Srath Beag/An Slugan route as part of the Sligahan loop in March last year.

I rode it in the direction Torrin to Luib. I say “rode it” but alot of it was hike a bike (at least for someone of my abilities anyway). For me crossing this glen came at the end of the ride (i started and finished in Luib) and to be honest i found it a bit of a slog in places. This wasn’t helped by it being a muddy time of year.

It would ride much better, however, in the direction Luib to Torrin in my opinion. This would leave you descending the pictured singletrack above 8) The climb from Luib would be a bit of a grind which would be “hike a bike” for a reasonable portion.

I can’t comment on how it compares to Srath Mor though as I have never ridden through that glen.

Take the dotted path towards Strolamas (the old road) which will get you off the main road (you can also avoid another main road section by going round the Moll road near Sconser).

The section through An Slugan uphill beside the stream would be mainly hike a bike to the highest point then it would be mainly rideable through Srath Beag down to Loch Slapin.

moremudplease
    Free Member

down glen sligahan to camasunary,steep climb up from there over am mam and up strath more to luib and beyond,we stayed at portree and done some tarmack miles down to the start of the glen and some road miles back to the sligachan hotel then took track along loch sligahan and around the headland back to portree,singletrack down the glen is sweet and rolls on forever,you won,t want it to stop,lots of water channels for drainage all rideable but will puncture your back wheel if you get it wrong,one guy with us had 4 punctures in a mile,climb up camasunary good gradient and rideable,it is slightly boggy through strath more but it didn,t detract from the days riding,give yourself plenty time and have plenty of tubes,puncture repair outfits with you,very remote,very good

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

when we did it the awful slog through strath mor was almost worth it for the lovely cafe at the luib museum. we were truly hanging by the time we got there having waded through all sorts of shite.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

we were up there for a dry and sunny easter this year. we did the route moremud pointed out and it was fantastic. the new path is VERY rocky which makes you concentrate so much you don’t realise how difficult it is! Its an ardous route though so take plenty of time and kit. miles don’t mean anything on it as your either climbing/pushing or scaring yourself silly. Skye has its own micro climate so take everything from sun cream to full waterproofs. if you can pick a clear day then the views are magnificent. one last thing, there are a LOT of stone water bars on the route my friend punctured 3 times on the descent to glenbrittle so either polish up your bunny hop skills or fit a DH tube!

its an awesome ride enjoy.

Far
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Sounds like doing the Loop clockwise starting from the Sligachan hotel and riding the Srath Beag/An Slugan trail from Luib to Torrin might be an option?

This would mean doing the main Glen Sligachan trail from South to North, I’ve seen the route described both ways (Kenny Wilson recommends this direction) but normally it seems to be done North to South?

Does anyone who’s ridden it have any comments on whether the trail works as well in this direction or would we be compromising the best bit of trail on the route?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I think the Glen Sligachan secion would be fine in either direction – it’s basically flat. May be more likely to have a tail wind heading south to north as well.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Glen Sligachan is rideable either way. Think there is a slight descent from North to South but it is negligible really. Top tip when riding through the glen is to aim for the black gabbro rock where possible, the grip is awesome.

Riding it South to North also gives you a short sharp descent of Am Mam into Camasunary as an added bonus (if you like your descents steep and rocky as opposed to smoother and flowing).

If you are going for the route including An Slugan/Srath Beag my tip would be to make sure you are mentally prepared for the hike a bike as it is quite a bit of hiking. Getting it over near the start of the ride would be a good move though.

Hope you have a good ride and don’t forget to post us a few pics on here afterwards 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scotland Experts’ is closed to new replies.