Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scotland coast to coast Ratrace?
  • jkomo

Anyone here done it? How are the running sections, I am rubbish at running.
    What are the bike sections like?

TomHill
    Free Member

I did the”racer” (the whole distance in one day option) last year.

The first 10k run is pretty hectic and fast (or at least it was towards the front). A lot is along singletrack sections, with little chance for overtaking, so it is worth trying to get a good position early on. The road sections of riding are lovely, over good quality tarmac, with lovely views. THe cycling section after the first kayak is mixed, with some canal towpath, red-gradeish singletrack, than a lot of fireroad, and some bits of tarmac.

The final run is a bit of a killer. 25 miles or so of good, but rough paths over some pretty big lumps of mountain. If you want a good time, you’ll want to run most of it. If you want to complete it, a quick walk wouldn’t be the end of the world.

The final kayak… OUCH. Only a mile or so, but every bit of my body was cramping.

Superb experience, great race, well organised.

TomHill
    Free Member

Oh, I used a cyclocross bike. Best tool for the job by a long way.

jkomo

Jesus, the runs sound way out of my league.

mcwyc
    Free Member

Not done this before but just thought I’d add that I’m in for this as well – giving the racer a go. Bike choice is a big debate, don’t fancy riding my road bike or my zesty so may try and pick up an ebay cx or light hardtail just for the race.
    Give us tinker if you want to bounce any ideas/queries.

jkomo

I was thinking my Trance, which is pretty light for a full sus, with semi slicks if it’s dry.

TomHill
    Free Member

If you are using a mountain bike, I would absolutely recommend semi-slicks, even if it is wet. There are some long road sections. The time you may make up on the short sections where more knobbly tyres may be beneficial, will in no way compensate for the time lost/energy expended dragging knobbly tyres along tarmac/fireroad.

mcwyc – there were a few people using road bikes, with the biggest tyres they could squeeze in. Probably not ideal, but definitely preferable to the Zesty!

jkomo

Ok cheers. I don’t think I can do the runs. Do people actually run or is it a trek?

TomHill
    Free Member

I ran pretty much all of it, other than the steepest hills, where a fast trek was all I could muster. I’m afraid I don’t know what others did. I would imagine that if you are doing the two day version more people will be taking it slower and walking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scotland coast to coast Ratrace?’ is closed to new replies.