Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Scotland and Midges
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The worst place I have been for the little buggers was Kielder. Unlike Scotland Kielder has no other redeeming features.

pictonroad

Do people build up a resistance to the midge?

I react terribly to blood sucking insects, swell up and itch like crazy, I’d love to spend more time in Scotland, Scandinavia, The Lakes etc. but it’s just not feasible.

Serious question, not trolling Scotland disclaimer…

sangobegger
    Free Member

Midges are man made in the Highlands. Just back from a weeks research at the Environmental Research Institute in Thurso (look it up it does actually exist) and they breed genetically enhanced, so soft resistant and deet loving species from a soup of tourist sweat and dried haggis droppings.
    Designed to act as a deterrent to folk without red beards and an attachment to tartin. So successful in fact, that even the sassanachs that do come to live in the Highlands only stay for a year or two before decamping and running away.

Come on up if you think you are hard enough!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seosamh77
    Free Member

100% head to toe clothing is the only way when it gets really bad. Other times make sure you have a fire on the go and plenty of deet or that smidge is ok, avon skin so soft is crap imo.

There’s certain times when they are more active than others too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw if you are camping next to a loch at sunset, get protected and watch the bats scoop up the midges, crack natural tele! 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

avon skin so soft is crap imo.

+1, too true…I was once sluthered in the stuff but was still eaten alive by the buggers! The smell of it becomes sickening after a few days too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aw aye, make sure your tent mesh is small enough to stop midges, last time I went camping(in august at loch eck, fierce!) my mate took one of those cheap lightwieght festival tents! big mistake, the mesh was effective as fish net tights!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Surely not that different to the rest of the UK but why is it such a problem?

Its the dampness, apparently they don’t like it when it’s too wet or too dry, but when there is a certain amount of wetness in the ground, it’s their ideal breeding conditions.. it’s why levels can be worse one week to the next. there is also a temperature range that they like best aswell, which I can’t remember.

edit: http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/B638434.pdf

sweepy
    Free Member

Been here twenty years now and no love here for smidge or SSS.
    Most days there’s enough wind to keep em down if you pick your site, when you really need it a decent net or jacket is all that works. And a tent with a decent net for when you get the hump wearing them and need somewhere to regain a bit of sanity.

rickmeister

Skin SO Soft drowns them…

Smidge, only way to survive sitting in the forest on a sunny day, marshalling at the World Cup in Fort William.

That or a midge machine if you have the space… can you hire these anywhere ?

Quick google and answered my own question… my mate has one in her garden and they do work and are very effective

http://www.midge-machines.co.uk/

dazzlingboy

As per others – Smidge and a head net. Taking up smoking red full strength Marlboro helps too.

globalti
    Free Member

Mosquito coils work.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Scotland and Midges’ is closed to new replies.