Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Scotland and Midges?
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

So we’re thinking of a 2 week camping holiday in Scotland, a mixture of site seeing and visits to 7Stanes. We’d be gong end of August / beginning of September. I’ve mentioned this to a few people and everyone says the same thing ‘the midges are terrible that time of year, avoid.’ Is it really that bad?

Thanks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh yes.

bigjim

they can be hellish, but take midge nets, midge repellant, and smoke constantly and it’ll be OK.

honeybadgerx

They can be pretty horrific, though you’ll probably not have too much trouble when actually riding as they can’t keep up with you (on the downhills anyway!), it’ll be more at the campsites where you’ll have issues. Try and find a site that’s away from water/boggy ground and is quite breezy. The one at Sandyhills is quite nice plus right by the beach so should get a decent breeze, though it might be a bit busy in August.

Stock up on citronella candles, etc. and I find the Lifesystems Natural repellant pretty good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

Yes midges can be a pain but simple precautions help and you will not be in the worst areas for them. I wouldn’t let that stop you

forget anything bar proper repellents – DEET works and I have high hopes for Smidge but have not tested it myself. citroell and so on are useless

chrisdw
    Free Member

How good are you at fleeing?

Seriously though, there may be some running involved!

On an even more serious note. Go, but don’t camp. They really are relentless little sods. Cant get away from them. Going to bed at 1700 sometimes works, but you will still end up covered in nibbles.

Did an exped in Perthshire a couple of years ago and they arrive in giant clouds!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren’t they worst near water?

It’s not like the whole of Scottish Countryside is overun with them.

Dolcered

hateful little critters

anti histamines are useful, if like me you react badly to them.
    skin so soft from avon used to be a good repellant.

best thing ever, baseball cap with midgie net attached to it. youll feel a numpty at first, till un-hatted folks are getting bitten to death.

rocketman
    Free Member

Make sure your companions dress in black and you will be OK.

Midges love black

jota180
    Free Member

Aren’t they worst near water?

Well they hatch out of water, so yes but it only takes a puddle or two

grum
    Free Member

Usually the weather is so awful that the midges don’t bother you. 🙂

13thfloormonk

We enjoyed a couple of remarkable nights when by rights we should have been bitten to death (shady, windless pitches, in the trees, beside rivers, in July) but weren’t. The common factor to my mind was the use of midge coils. I didn’t believe they would do any good but it seems they did.

We had a campfire each night as well, so perhaps it was the combination of the two.

Smidge repellant seems to work well, and not as greasy as Avon Skin-so-soft.

edit: Oh, and the comment ^ about black clothes, very true, I usually wear black merino and its repulsive how many of them you see crawling all over it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

1) Smidge works quite well, smells nice, and isn’t greasy like Avon Skin So Greasy.

2) The midge problem can vary day by day. A slight breeze, bright sunshine, middle of the day – I never notice them in these conditions. They like still, moist air and shade, so if you’re under a tree at the side of a river at dusk, you’re in trouble!

EDIT – Spooky

flyingmonkeycorps

Avon Skin So Soft. Seriously.

**edit** too slow!

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

What is required is a constant strong breeze ,,camping can be hellish, Sandyhills is far from midge free but if we have had a dry summer (ha) they are less fierce, avoid camping in the trees at all costs

jota180
    Free Member

The common factor to my mind was the use of midge coils. I didn’t believe they would do any good but it seems they did.

I used to do quite a bit of trout fishing
    The morning and evening midge hatches were important for getting the best fly for the job

Sometimes the hatch just didn’t happen for some reason

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they attack inexperianced campers who choose nice spots out of wind and next to streams etc ….

i rarely have an issue with them unless i end up staying at an official campsite – where they seem to congregate

nice open spaces with good breeze is the way forward.

skin so soft is a myth – it doesnt keep them away it just drowns them/creates an oily film.

deet works – we used to get given it for marshalling at the fort william WC – you were propper midgebait on that.

fisha
    Free Member

nice open spaces with good breeze is the way forward.

skin so soft is a myth – it doesnt keep them away it just drowns them/creates an oily film.

Yup – its a reasonable breeze that keeps them away.

Skin so soft … mixed results. Some midges are more determined than others. I’ve found that skin so soft lessens how much they bite into you, but it doesn’t stop them from landing on you …. which is just as infuriating!

grum
    Free Member

It’s not a repellant but it does pretty much stop them biting you.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

creates an oily film.

Diesel has the same effect and smells nicer

richmtb

When they swarm the best defense is just to run!

East side of Loch Lomond was the worst i’d ever seen them. Fort William is really bad too.

The Scottish Borders aren’t too bad. I’ve only ever had a few bites while riding in the Seven Stanes even without repellent.

Also contrary to popular belief they don’t water to hatch damp boggy soil (of which there is plenty in Scotland!) is good enough

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve also found that eating lots of Marmite and garlic seems to make them less interested…

enfht
    Free Member

Apparantly they were accidently introduced into Scotland by the Braveheart film crew.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Absolutely recommended (after using in August on the Isle of Lewis)and totally effective:

trail_rat
    Free Member

washing with cheap unscented soap works well for me – works for mozzies too i find when working in west africa im the only one thatdoesnt get bitten out of the team. – equally im the only one who doesnt wear deodrant !

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

“The Scottish Borders aren’t too bad. I’ve only ever had a few bites while riding in the Seven Stanes even without repellent”

However Dalbeattie ,Kirroughtree ,Mabie, Ae and Glentrool are not in the Scottish borders and if you visit Glentrool without repellent you will die

druidh
    Free Member

It’s awful – really.

Don’t come.

richmtb

However Dalbeattie ,Kirroughtree ,Mabie, Ae and Glentrool are not in the Scottish borders and if you visit Glentrool without repellent you will die

Alright I’ll give you that one

Never been to Glentrool, Only ridden Dallbeattie and Kirroughtree out of the midge season

Ae and Mabie I’ve never had a problem. And if there had been midges there they would have bitten me!

bigjim

Well they hatch out of water, so yes but it only takes a puddle or two

You are thinking of mosquitoes, midgies just need moist soil.

Skin so soft does work for a bit, but it stinks. Smidge, jungle and so on work for a bit too, but you have to reapply a lot, and if you sweat it’ll need a lot of reapplication.

Forestry workers wear midge suits, the only real way of not getting bitten is to stop them getting to your skin. When I’m camping/fishing I wear full length clothes and a midge net, my old man wears a midge suit.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Forestry workers wear midge suits, the only real way of not getting bitten is to stop them getting to your skin.

See above.

Whilst the rest of the group were being bitten to death, I could see, hovering before my eyes, an angry cloud of midges all gnashing their frustrated little teeth because they couldn’t cross the final 50cm of space to chew on my head…

Jungle Formula. Get it.

mrdestructo

I remember being up over the border and it was either heavy rain showers or getting bitten to death. Our bug juice was crap at the time, and we were sweating so much you really didn’t want to try putting it on higher than your cheeks or you ended up blind and screaming, stumbling around getting laughed at.

In the end I found the only sure way to keep them off was to lie on the floor and chuck the pine needles that had fallen from trees over me, the things just flew over me, thinking I was the ground. Not much of a holiday that method though, but it has the odd use.

andytherocketeer

Stop Bite seemed to have an effect, and is nowhere near as nasty as DEET. If you don’t mind smelling like Drambuie. Most repellents don’t stop the critters crawling all over you and itching like hell, but might stop them biting (IME).

Stay indoors around 4pm ish. And if out for a ride, don’t get a flat wheel, and don’t stop to repair it.

fisha
    Free Member

don’t get a flat wheel, and don’t stop to repair it.

best advice of the day.

jota180
    Free Member

They’re not keen on sunshine so only go out when it’s sunny 🙂

richmtb

don’t get a flat wheel, and don’t stop to repair it.

best advice of the day.

I honestly considered abandoning my bike on the Witches Trail at Fort William. I must have been bitten 50 times in the time it took me to fix a puncture (and I fixed it quick!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jungle formula is DEET

ransos
    Free Member

Jungle formula is DEET

It’s horrid stuff – I used it in the, erm, jungle, and could feel my skin falling off. The stuff I had left on my palms drew the blue dye out of the water bottle I was carrying, leaving me with smurf hands.

gusamc
    Free Member

can I suggest very long socks, 3/4 shorts, long sleeves, take a midge net that you can put over helmet, full finger gloves, had to do a very long climb on a windless day – GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

two other memories, mum was only allowed to smoke in the tent(*facing out door) when there were midges, being called over by another set of campers who were cooking beans – the entire inside of the pot was genuinely pitch black as it was COVERED with midges

bruk

Worst place ever was campsite on Rannoch Moor. Stopped on way up WHW having been rained on solidly all day. Soon as the rain stopped the voracious little buggers started eating us alive

Had to go to the pub to escape 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Scotland and Midges?’ is closed to new replies.