Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Schwalbe performance and tubeless
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’m pretty new to tubeless done 4 wheels so far and just wanted advise on going tubeless on regular schwalbe performance tyres, so far my ghetto tubeless has gone well.

I tend to ride 60-120km a week with 1200-1500m climbs all year round around the peaks, West Yorkshire. So a general mix of country lane, off-road, mud, woodland, farm track, moorland Singletrack, gritty sandstone etc

I know schwalbe and bike shops would like us to believe running tubeless you need snakeskin tough sidewalls and evolution range tyres, but do you guys run tubeless on bog standard wired or folding Nobby nics or racing Ralph’s,

I’m trying to decide to get £15.75 Nobby nic folded or pay a little more £25 each for racing Ralph snakeskin deal on Merlin, I’m a tight northerner..

Tyre size I prefer for the bike will be 27.5 x 2.25 wide, I have 2.1 on my 29er but feel they are too slim for the action of a full sus

Any advise recommendation greatly appreciated, I’m currently running xking/mountain King II which came on the bike and seem OK and have gone tubeless well, but I’m tempted to go back to schwalbe

patagonian
    Free Member

I’m running the performance version of the Racing Ralph’s in 29×2.25. Blew up fine but took about a week to settle down due to the number of pinholes in the sidewalls – however the tubeless Rocket Rons were almost as bad.
    Been using them about 12 months now and they are fine.

I wouldn’t use wire bead – you may be a tight northerner but that is a step too far!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Agreed with the wire bead, thanks Patagonian, I’ll avoid the rocket rons pretty sure I’ve read some terrible reviews on them already

darrenspink
    Free Member

RR and NN are pretty different tyres in regards to grip. You could run a RR on the back and Nic up front. Regardless of what you choose, save yourself the pain and fustration and get yourself tubeless ready tyres.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I was lead to believe the racing Ralph and nn are the same carcass and shoulder tread pattern, but Nobby is better all year round as mud doesn’t stick , I’m thinking as we are coming into summer maybe rr, then Nobby nic back end of the year for winter

nodrog2
    Free Member

Set my Hans Dampf Performance tyre up pretty easily on the rear of my Giant Reign. It’s held up fine so far and I’ll continue to use it until fails (it came with the bike). If I were buying a new tyre I’d go the extra though and get the tougher sidewalls.

andybrad

im finding the snakeskin sidewalls are a slightly lighter version on contis protection ones. So far so good.

Had the nobby nics in performance and they were death on a stick. Seriously I crashed on the canal bank in the wet.

im testing pacestar and trailstar back to back at the moment. As expected the pacestar is much much faster rolling on tarmac. Not much in it on dirt but the trailstar is a lot better grip.

One thing I am noting is ive always run about 27psi in my rubber. With the stiffer sidewalls I can drop the pressure much lower (18 on the front!) and still have decent protection.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks andybrad I keep reading the Nobby Nics have had a serious overhaul in the last one to two years, your canal towpath crash was that recently or along time ago on an older version of the tyre,
    I really liked smart Sam on my 26″ last year but the options on 27.5 seem to be wired only and heavy
    So it’s the ss or rr

andybrad

older version, 3-4 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe performance and tubeless’ is closed to new replies.