Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Schwalbe Jimmy and Smart Sam – any good?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Following on from a thread about punture protection tyres I found these at CRC, Schwalbe Jimmy Puncture Protection and wondered about the Smart Sam, although these only seem to have 'Kevlar Guard'(?) anyone got any experience with these, are they a good trail tyre, and does the puncture protection work?

Also, they seem to do a folding double defence version which would be lighter and easier to transport (taking abroad for use on hire bike) but I can't find any in the UK – anyone seen these in the UK?

Cheers 🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

No one? Nobody ever used these? 😕

I've a Smart Sam as a rear on my commute bike which does light off road duties.

This tyre hardly seems to wear at all. Grip is OK but no good for wet roots or gloopy mud IMO.

Not the lightest/ fastest tyre out there but at least the sidewall is a decent thickness and very few signs of cuts.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks daveatext….., I'm not typing that lot 😉 , the smart sam does look more like a hardpack tread to me so might not be too good in loose, rocky, sandy conditions?

Anyone use Jimmy, any opinions?

Or, recommend other punture proof tyres? So far there's a couple of panaracer, and not sure about the continentals as they just seem to be resistant to snakebite type punctures?

Specialized armadillo tyres any good?

will
    Free Member

Jimmy are heavy! And when i say heavy, I mean heavy. I used mine for a couple of years though all conditions before I started being gay and running summer/winter tyres.

They are good, just as I said, a little heavy.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Smart Sam's let go a bit scarily when you crank them over sometimes. But as dave said they hardly weara, and are maybe the fastest off road tyre on the road.

jimster
    Free Member

I've been running a pair of Jimmy's on my Giant NRS and they seem fine – a little heavy but seem to cope with most things thrown at them.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Heavy, yeah, the info I found on the Jimmy was that the puncture protection version weighs in at 835g 😯 but I've also been recommended to look at the Nobby Nic Double Defence which weigh in about 600g, bit of a difference, but also about x4 the price !

Cheers for the input 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Jimmy and Smart Sam – any good?’ is closed to new replies.