Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Schwalbe Hans Dampfs
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

quick update

front tyre is absoultly amazing in wet or dry conditions, i seriously cannot get over how much grip this thing has on the front! im so impressed with it! its staying on

however, i cant get on with it on the back 🙁 its absoultly power sapping on techy steep peak district climbs, honestly the road sections dont seem to slow (only as slow as the RQ’s it replaced) but its just honestly power sapping on the back, i love climbing, and i love nailing climbs, the climbs i nailed on 2 seperate occassions felt a million times harder than with something a bit quicker on the back…its grippy and doesnt slip like my x king did, but its just power sapping is all i can say, seriously felt draggy off road where i just didnt expect it too and thought it would be a lot worse on the road

so im going to sell the HD pacestar on the back, and im going to get a nobby nic UST for the rear, they are quick enough (used them before) quicker than a RQ or HD on the rear with decent all round grip, still defo keeping the HD on the front though!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Funny how it is all relative because I don’t find HD pace star on the rear at all problematic climbing off road, not as quick as the semi slicks on my HT but OK. They are a pain in the ass when it’s proper muddy and the cornering feel takes some getting used too. The sheer volume of the things and the stiff sidewalls does make then feel very safe when barrelling down rocks and ruts. Overall quite a good choice for techy trail riding IMO.

wrecker
    Free Member

Had my first experience of the dampfs this weekend. I’m also happy with them. The front is not as grippy as my RQ BC was (had an early wash out) but I got used to them, adjusted my riding and they are a winner. I think they’re a bit quicker rolling than the RQs, but there’s not a lot in it. It’ll be Interesting to see how they hold up.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting you two have totally different experiences to me, i do find the front a better tyre than the rq 2.2 ust bc it replaced defo, its got all sorts of grip thats better for me, id assume its the taller side knobs

i reckon the RQ on the rear is a little quicker OFF road (on the road no difference at all), but the RQ never felt power sapping to me on climbs

worth trying a few different tyres anyways! ill try something a little faster on the back either a Nobby Nice or Racing Ralph

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Have you got a cold or low level virus making you feel more tyred?

Sancho
    Free Member

I ran a ste m=for most of last year and thought they were good, but they did squirm around a bit as they are a big volume tyre, but rolling, grip etc they are good.
    going back to Maxxis High rollers

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah. Just checked and my front RQ was a 2.4. That’ll be why I found the dampf less grippy and quicker rolling then. Apologies.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Tyres are funny. I went from RQ to Hans Dampf and first ride out got a PB on a couple of big Peak climbs and a couple of descents too! Love them.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Put these on last month for a trip to Molini, most confidence inspiring tyre Ive used, superb grip and I dont really think there that draggy, 55 bucks for 2 from bike-discount.de …bargain 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Hans Dampfs’ is closed to new replies.