Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Schoolboy error…lesson learned!
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Swapped my tyres back from 30mm CX from the weekend to 35mm touring type for my commute.

But I didn’t remember to swap the tubes, or the spares in my seat pack.

28-32mm tubes do not being used in 35mm tyres. 3 blowouts on the way home from work tonight!

I thought the spare tube I put in after the first blowout looked a bit thin.

Never realised 3mm would be so important.

Lesson learned.

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t think it can make that much difference. I may be wrong but I’d check everything. Especially the rimtape.

andyl
    Free Member

I run 26″ tubes in my 29er with no probs

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it’s because its gone dark all of a sudden. You probably ran over a hedgehog.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

No way was that the tubes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye, no way was that the tubes.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah , as others said, shouldn’t be the tubes

I run 2.5’s in a 3.8 !

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yep….update….just checked thoroughly in the daylight.

Rear tyre had split at the bead! Tried with a new tube this morning (in nice bright daylight) and it bulged out of the tyre. Was clearly pinch flatting against the rim.

Didn’t think it could be the tube. Ruined a nice night time commute too, as it wasn’t wet or particularly cold, which was fortunate. And at least it happened on a road section, so the missis could drive out to rescue her forlorn sad faced old man.

So, what 700c tyre for 25 mile each way on/off road commute? 😉

Speshpaul

conti gators?

njee20
    Free Member

Conti 4 Seasons.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Hmmm…not sure about those two. Maybe a bit too road focussed?

About half my commute is country lanes, tarmac cycle paths, and a couple of miles of city road.

The other half is farm track, cinder, towpath, bridleway, field edge track etc. Odd bit of mud, but not long enough to factor in, and if it’s been wet I detour to avoid that so I don’t turn up to work covered in mud and leave a trail through the office to the showers!

Carrying 10kg in panniers too.

Current tyres have been Michelin Trekker, but I’ve now lost confidence in them 🙁

I have tried it on some borrowed 28mm Luganos, and it was very skittish on the off road sections.

I can only get 30mm tyres in without having to deflate the rear to get it in! So 28 – 30s needed.

druidh
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon. I’ve been touring on them all year and that’s included all the surfaces you’ve mentioned. They’ll not handle mud that well – OK if you have the momentum to blast over a short section but no grip as such – everything else is just fine.

The standard Marathon is reasonably puncture resistant, the Plus version is really heavy and a bit more “dead” to ride but almost bombproof.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon+ +1
    great tyre, not the quickest at all and not great in mud as Druid says but great for everything else you’ve mentioned

I’ve not had a single puncture with them in nearly 2 years of commuting 14 miles nearly every day of the week

tony_m
    Free Member

Another vote for Schwalbe Marathons here. Alternatively, Schwalbe CX Comps – 30c, and roll well enough on tarmac.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Looks like a Marathon Greenguard 28c. Got to order some other bits from CRC anyway, unless there are any super cheaps about?

I note that the CRC description shows this with a weight limit of 85kg. I’m 84kg kitted up, plus 10kg in the panniers, plus I reckon the bike weighs 10kg. So that’s 105kg.

Any thoughts? I don’t normally 4rse about, but don’t want a repeat splitting tyre as we edge into winter!

druidh
    Free Member

Weight limits on tyres? I can’t say I’ve ever noticed such a thing before. In any case, they are pretty robust.

10kg in your panniers – what on earth are you carrying. Coal?

ransos
    Free Member

Panaracer pasela. Good puncture proofing, fairly light and decent rolling resistance.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@ druidh – haha! Nah, I’m a homeworker but go to the office once a week. So I have to carry clothes, shoes, towel and toiletries, laptop and gubbins, notebooks/files etc!

No chance to leave anything at the office either!

Good training though, especially on the hills!

Will be ordering the Marathon shortly.

Thanks for the info folks.

njee20
    Free Member

Weight limits on tyres? I can’t say I’ve ever noticed such a thing before. In any case, they are pretty robust.

+1, very odd, I’d not worry

BenjiM

Check it’s not your brake pads having uneven wear (over the top of the rim). Thats what caused a split near my bead and subsequently lots of burst tyres. Took me a while to figure out. Badly set up brake pads basically.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers BenjiM. I gave the rims a good check this morning when I found the split tyre.

They look good, but will give them another check over later after work….if the trick or treaters finish early enough that is!

EDIT: Although re-reading you might be referring to the brake oad rubbing the tyre. Will check that too.

BenjiM

EDIT: Although re-reading you might be referring to the brake oad rubbing the tyre. Will check that too.

Correct 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

yeah brake pad on the Tyre I had one do that a few years ago, it went with one hell of a bang

thomthumb
    Free Member

I note that the CRC description shows this with a weight limit of 85kg. I’m 84kg kitted up, plus 10kg in the panniers, plus I reckon the bike weighs 10kg. So that’s 105kg.

never seen this for a bike (although you can buy tandem rated tyres) but in a car you’d divide it by wheels, so your 105 kg becomes 52.5 kg.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Ordered the Marathon Greenguard in 28mm. I did wonder about the weight, and figured some would be distributed to the front, but still lots at the back with me perched on it and loaded panniers.

Will see how we go.

Deffo not brake pad rub. Just the sidewall pulled away from the bead. No scuffing at all, and just checked the pad contact with a temporary 35mm tyre fitted, and clears the tyre fully

coatesy
    Free Member

I always carry a piece of damp-proof course in my bag as a patch for split tyres, takes virtually no space, and has saved many a ride(obviously depends on you recognising you have a split).Been carrying mine since the whole Panaracer Smoke re-issue farce of many years back.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Schwalbe Landcruiser.

bigblackshed

Conti Country Ride

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Schoolboy error…lesson learned!’ is closed to new replies.