Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Schoolboy Error – Fox Home Service
  • bullroar
    Free Member

Set about doing a service on the seals as per the Mojo video instructions. Unfortunately my assistant inverted the forks and all the fluids came out. I have checked various online resources to see about replacing the fluid and all suggest doing the damper side from the top, except one on Pinkbike that showed it from the bottom.
    Questions are:

Can I just pour fluid in from the bottom?

If not how do a I get the ock out device off the top of the leg, videos refer to 3 small grub screws which my fork doesn’t have (2010 32 Float RL).

Finally do I need to take the top off the airside and put the suggested 5ml of float fluid in the chamber or is this only necessary if the innards have been extracted?

I do have plenty of the correct fluids and know the volumes from the Fox manual.

Cheers

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Damper fluid goes into the damper cartridge unless you have an open bath fork.

If all the fluid fell out of the lowers, then you can just replace it into the lowers – should be about 15ml each side?

If you have an open bath version, then the damper side will need a lot more than that – again into the lowers (fork inverted, bottom bolts off)

You should check the amount of fluid in the air chamber (after removing all the air!) – some forks have issues where the lower lubrication fluid leaks into the air chamber.

bullroar
    Free Member

Cheers, it is open bath needs 160ml damper side.

hilton83
    Free Member

i serviced mine myself and decided it would be easier to replace the fluid through the bottom, but when i stood my bike the right way up and pushed down on the forks it blew my seals off and all the fluid out of the top. DOH!! emptied them all out cleaned them all up again and did it the right way everything was fine, lesson learned!!

bullroar
    Free Member

If I go the recommended route, how do I get the blue lock out thing off the top of the leg?

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what fork you have, but I found the Enduroseals instructions very good – might help
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id10.html

bullroar
    Free Member

32 mm Fox Float RL 140mm vintage 2010

mandog

you can do it all from the bottom with the fork upside down. There’s negligible benefit in undoing the tops other than to see if the pistons are damaged – which they wont be.

normski
    Free Member

The blue lockout lever comes off by tapping the lever arm from below with a wooden or plastic dowel. One sharp tap should pop it off.
    Fox service guidelines here…
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

BearBack
    Free Member

Assuming you’re already pressed your seals, soaked and installed the foam wipers and cleaned everything up..
    Slide lowers onto stanchions almost all the way down to bottom, fill spring and damper sides through the holes in lowers with fork upside down before pushing the lowers all the way home.
    Once you’ve got the required 10wt in there, push them the final couple cm’s so that the threads come through the lowers then add new nylon washers and tighten nuts

Easy.

wwaswas
    bullroar
    Free Member

Presumably, before putting the lowers back on a refilling with oil one has to drain any residual oil from within the damper unit itself.

BearBack
    Free Member

the damper is a closed unit. Leave it well alone unless you need to do a separate cartridge service.

bullroar
    Free Member

This is where I find things a bit confusing. I’ve no desire or need to a cartridge service but this video:

Shows oil being drained from the unit, about 1 min 50 secs in. Also the Fox help seems to suggest the same thing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought there were 3 ports at the bottom of the damper assembly. Gently push a small screwdriver or allen key up into one of the 3 ports and cycle the damper up and down. More oil should come out of the port you opened.

bullroar
    Free Member

That is what the video shows. I guess if that oil is not drained and one puts the full recommended volume in the leg there is too much oil in the system.

I then suppose that when one has completed the job and cycles the fork a few times the oil goes back through the port to refill the damper.

BearBack
    Free Member

Ah, sorry.. assumed FIT cartridge

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Schoolboy Error – Fox Home Service’ is closed to new replies.