Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Scenic walking routes within a short(ish) drive of Glasgow?
  • sam_underhill

I’m visiting some friends from the US who are on business in Glasgow. We’d all like to get out for a little explore on Saturday, but none of us are familiar with the local area. We’ll have a car so I’m thinking somewhere around Loch Lomond would be a great opportunity for them to see some Scottish countryside. It’s going to have to be brief due to cramming a lot in, but something for a 2 or 3 hours would be great. Any ideas to point us in the right direction?
    Failing that, we’ll probably buy a map and wing it.
    Thanks folks.

scotroutes

Conic Hill from Balmaha. The height gives some open views and the Highland Boundary fault line is obvious. Nice pub too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The above, and also suggest Ben A’an – Lovely wee hill, only about 1500ft but stunning views all round, and nice places to eat in Callander afterward.

You could also take them on the Loch Katrine boat trip.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Agree with the above but there’s also lots of walks around the Aberfoyle area and very quick to get to from Glasgow. In Glasgow itself Pollok Park is nice for an easy stroll or Neilston Pad.

creagbhan

Queens View past Carbeth then walk round to the Whangie. Great views up Loch Lomond & not too hard

GHill

My first thought would be Conic, especially if it looks like being decent weather. I also think the Old Kilpatricks are worth considering – very different bit of countryside to the Trossachs.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

A walk up through Mugdock country park up to Khyber Pass gives a great view over Glasgow

sam_underhill

Awesome, Thanks folks.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 on Conic Hill from Balmaha. It’s a relatively short walk but the views are great and as Scotroutes says the Oaktree is good pub food, coffee, beer etc.

Alternative option is to go to Balamaha and get the short ferry to Inchcailloch island (takes 5 mins, runs on demand) and walk around the island and up the small hill. It’s an incredible place, only takes an our to walk round but it’s something else.

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/welcome-to-inchcailloch/menu-id-98.html

seosamh77
    Free Member

GHill – Member
    My first thought would be Conic, especially if it looks like being decent weather. I also think the Old Kilpatricks are worth considering – very different bit of countryside to the Trossachs.

trossachs are much much better though!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

A walk up to the narnain boulders

WackoAK
    Free Member

Have a look at Walk Highlands routes for some ideas

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Tuppence:
    Dumyat from Bridge of Allan – easy walk up the tourist path, views of Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument, River Forth and on a clear day you can spot Arthurs’ Seat and the FRB. Fish n chips in the Allanwater Cafe afterward or beer in the Brewhouse.

sam_underhill

Walk Highland Routes is perfect for my requirements for this trip. Nice map with a little route up Conic Hill. Just what I’m looking for this time around. Thanks.

peterfile
    Free Member

A walk up to the narnain boulders

Arguably the most boring slog in the west 😉 Nice when you get out of the forest though.

In the same area, Ben Donich is a nice wee hill if they’re relatively fit and will be wearing decent footwear. You can park at about 300m, leaving only 500m or so of ascent.

If you’re pushed for time though I’d agree with conic hill.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

If you’re short of time, but got good weather for the views then a walk round loch ardinning and/ or a quick hike up the ‘dumpling’ at gartocharn. (Duncryne hill)

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Arguably the most boring slog in the west Nice when you get out of the forest though.

You’re clearly going the wrong way then. There is a dry stream bed takes you all the way from sea level to the wee hydro scheme. Cracking wee adventure.

matt_outandabout

+1 conic

Or for a proper fun and relaxing time, ferry to Inchcailoch and wander the island for a couple of hours…

sam_underhill

Thanks folks. Conic hill was a hit. We got lucky with the weather and it hit the sweet spot of views, fresh air, and a nice pub at the end with a full selection of Glengoyne’s to try 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Scenic walking routes within a short(ish) drive of Glasgow?’ is closed to new replies.