Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scary – road tyre explodes
  • howarthp

Has anyone had this happen to them?

I was on a new Conti tyre (~100 miles ridden), riding a route I know very well. Just did a small downhill (not riding the brakes), turned at a roundabout and heard a funny noise coming from my front wheel. I looked down and the tyre exploded like a gunshot. Fortunately I was going slowly and did not come off. Dread to think what would have happened 30s earlier.

I’ve only heard of this happening on really long descents when the rim heats up and melts the inner tube/tyre. All my bikes are immaculately looked after. Do some tyres just have faults in them? It was, I should add, at the right pressure as I’d checked just before I set off

birney29
    Free Member

More likely that when you mounted the tyre, a small bit if tube was pinched or not seated right.

howarthp

Maybe. It was a new build and the bike shop mounted the tyre. I don’t think that was the case as the tyre itself has split about 6cm just above the bead. I had only just stopped to fix someone’s puncture who had no kit with them

scotroutes

Had this happen to me a few weeks back

Just a sharp stone on the road – at speed!

oldgit
    Free Member

That happened to me with a Vittoria Diamante, the tyre blew just above the bead. You could see the yellow fibres where it went.
    Just on a short steep downhill.
    Edit, here we go.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

happened to me t’other day, hit a pothole at approx 40mph tube popped like a gun and snapped a spoke. Absolutely shit myself. Luckily I’m not dead.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eye, many times. I say many times, what I mean is in 25yrs of riding roadies it’s happened probably 20 times and that’s for various reasons and on both tubs or clinchers.
    Sometimes it doesn’t bother me, sometimes I’ve almost wet my shorts.
    Take head that slime wouldn’t have helped 😆

glupton1976
    Free Member

They make a hell of a bang when they go. Had it happen at 30 odd mph on a twisty down hill once. Pat my shants.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I blew a rear tyre out descending the Stelvio last year at 50mph due to a faulty rim tape, held it for a good 500 mtrs on the rim, slowing it down, until I ran out of road. Was left with a choice of lay it down in the road on the right or collide with the tunnel wall to the left, I chose left, it hurt!

gribble
    Free Member

Over inflated my wife’s hybrid tyre and it went off like a gunshot climbing out of Guildford. Tyre came clean off the rim.

I found it funny, a passer by and the good lady less so.

jimsmith
    Free Member

happened to my bro in downtown NYC

everyone dropped to the floor!

muddodger
    Free Member

Never had a tyre pop yet, but did blow an innertube trying a new track pump, 4 pumps will pop an innertube!
    But reminds me of years ago, blew an old leather football up, rock hard as instructed by kids, put it in the car and set off…. BANG! ball blew a hole in the bladder, I definitely let a little fart out as it went!

mooman
    Free Member

Happened to a mate of mine the other week. He too had conti tyres (400s). He put it down to the Stans rims.
    Helluva bang!

bland

I had a specialized road tyre delaminate when doing close to 50 down from windy hill by the side of the M62, rubbed on the forks every time it passed, took me a min or two to figure out what the hell had happened

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scary – road tyre explodes’ is closed to new replies.