Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scary experience using Uberbike sintered pads
  • richwak
    Free Member

Last summer i had a total failure of some new but bedded in sintered pads where the pads catastrophicly failed. Luckily the section of trail was not to extreme so i was able to stop. The pad material had detached itself from the metal backing. I put it down to a dodgy pad and thought nothing more of it. Well, on Thursday i was riding the blue trail at Dunkeld which is def not blue. It is steep , very steep and technical. The same failure happened but this time i couldn’t stop and ended up with a close encounter with a tree. Lucily no serious injuries except to my confidence. It seems as though the pads fail when they get too hot and the glue?? They stick the pad material to the backing melts and the pad dies. My advice would be to stay well away from these pads as such sudden loss of breaking could seriously damage your health!!

kayak23

Glad you’re ok.
    I’ve never had a problem with them myself.
    Superstar famously had some problems with a batch a few years back and have been battling it and the reputation ever since.

It happens now and then I suppose, but rarely luckily.

milky1980
    Free Member

Have a chat with Uberbike about it would be my suggestion, just incase it’s a batch problem. I also use their sintered pads and have done for a long time now with no problems, including getting them hot enough to smoke occasionally.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with Uberbike pads. I use their organic and Race Matrix.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Happened to me on the DH track at Dunkeld once – Superstar pads.

Got told it was a bad batch, then had the same thing happen to the replacement pads…

So yea, tell the supplier, but don’t be surprised if it happens again! I’ve only bought oem pads since and it’s never happened again.

orangeboy
    Free Member

We had a load of ebc ones fail years ago in that way and seen a fair few others over the years do that too.
    Glad your ok Ive never had it happen to me on a bike.

But the front pads on my van came away from the backing plate but the friction material stayed put just rattled

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a punt on some uber pads for the first time. I hope they are not a bad batch.

How did you break/brake them in?

Glad you are OK

bruneep

<devil advocate>

So you had a failure last year, why didn’t you stop using uber when it happened?

How much wear was on the “failed” pads?

Size of rotor and type of pads are fitted?

Using uber pads for ages with no issues.

Maybe I’m not as gnarrr as you.

Tracey

Never had a problem with Uberbike pads and have been using them on all our bikes since they started selling them.

Cheezpleez

I’ve had this happen with at least three different makes of pad, although never with sintered. I rely on my immense skill rather than my brakes so it’s never been a problem.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Superstar are better known for this.

Uberbike have been fine for me.

My fave pad is Goodridge, but they are getting hard to get hold of now.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this was an astroturf on behalf of SS, but I am a cynic

theotherjonv

Be crap astroturfing since they’ve apparently decided to reduce their emphasis on imported stuff like grips and pads to focus on their UK made CNC investments.

poah
    Free Member

Stop dragging the brakes and they won’t get so hot lol

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be fair fruit always was crap at it 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scary experience using Uberbike sintered pads’ is closed to new replies.