Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Scarborough mock naval battle
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It was just on Coast now. Every year they stage a re-creation of a naval battle on the pond in the park, with wooden battleships with council workers in firing bangers at each other. There’s even dive bombers on strings.

Totally bonkers, amusingly crap but also quite cool.

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s the battle of the river plate isn’t it. I saw it a few years back.

Complete madness.

grtdkad

I used to watch it every year (on me hols!) back in the seventies.

Many happy memories! though slightly alarming on tv when you can see that chap inside one of the ships coughing up smoke!

honeybadgerx

I used to go watch that when I was a kid, ~20 years ago or so, thought it was brilliant!

totalshell

Potty Time on steroids.. peasholm park..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep – Peasholme Park – twice a week all summer I believe. I too have seen it since I was a kid, some 40 years ago.

Funny, I was just talking about it to a client today too 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Crikey, I can’t believe it’s still on the go, I 1st saw it when I was 9 in 1965!

Smudger666

Happy days!

Summer hols was always 2 weeks at the caravan in Dayton bay, days out in Filey and Scarborough – peasholme park and the steam train to the north beach.

Happy days indeed

althepal

Finally managed to get along to Naval warfare this summer after years of wanting to!
    Loved the old guy who compared it. He wasn’t very pc and occasionally forgot that the enemy subs shouldnt be referred to as the German silent killers any more. Only added to it tho IMO..

br
    Free Member

Is the ‘Mouse’ still there too – use to be well wobbly

Pook

ah happy days. Love peasholm park.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some of the boats are actually powered by people sat inside pedalling 🙂

Northwind

althepal – Member

He wasn’t very pc and occasionally forgot that the enemy subs shouldnt be referred to as the German silent killers any more.

Why shouldn’t they?

althepal

I agree. It just seemed like he was allowed to refer to them as German ships in the introduction but after that they were the enemy fleet apart from the odd occassion when he let slip about the Gerry u-boats machine gunning survivors.
    made me laugh..
    Fit- apart from the subs all the ships had humans in them I thought. One of them was even a woman (but the announcer stated we shouldn’t hold that against her!!)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t they?

Because according to the programme a “don’t mention the war” policy has been adopted in more recent times by the council, and the two sides are now referred to as simply the “allies” and the “enemy”.

Although I agreed with you…….I think it’s an excellent idea to remind any potential German tourists about the war. Besides, they started it.

Pook

and they blasted the crap out of nearby whitby abbey for target practice.

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

Because according to the programme a “don’t mention the war” policy has been adopted in more recent times by the council, and the two sides are now referred to as simply the “allies” and the “enemy”.

Heh, really? Fair point then, that’s just silly. Though I suppose since it’s not a recreation it does make a little bit of sense.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Off this weekend (albeit in a rowing boat around Peasholme Park, not a warship).

peterfile
    Free Member

I remember this from the 80’s!

Thank you for reminding me 🙂

franki
    Free Member

I’ve got some photos my parents took, knocking about from when I was there in the ’70s! Don’t remember much about it though – I was only a toddler.

molgrips
    Free Member

It started in 1920 apparently.

wwaswas

love it 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1dK14hfKGY[/video]

You can tell it was up North – it was peeing down 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Scarborough mock naval battle’ is closed to new replies.