Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scam alert-Or just my paranoia ……..
  • orangeorange
    Free Member

So recently I decided to advertise one of my bikes,a fairly high end and popular model but last of the 26`s,on Pinkbike.
    I`ll spare you all the messers and speculative offers,but one gentleman seemed very keen,to the point of agreeing to the purchase price without any haggling or asking any specific details about the bike,which made me a little suspicious.
    It would also have meant sending it to N Ireland,which made me uneasy as I`d much rather meet face to face if possible.
    He did send me links to his Company,which matched his name,and a link to his facebook page.
    Anyway we exchanged e-mails (his from a mobile phone) in which he offered to pay via Paypal Gift,which I flatly refused,suggesting he pay via cheque and once cleared he arranges collection from me,eliminating any scam possibilities including claiming non-delivery.
    The trail has now gone very quiet,which seems strange as he was incredibly keen previously.
    Have I had a lucky escape ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Paypal gift is as secure as it comes for sellers – there’s no way he could claim the money back. Sounds legit, you just scared him off which is why the trail’s gone cold.

matt_outandabout

Who knows. Deal with a buyer you can meet/vaguely trust/has long history on site/pays by PayPal etc.

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite sure how claiming non-delivery works with Paypal Gift – you do realise that it’s only dodgy for buyers using that as they have no protection? Far more scam possibilities with a cheque!

orangeorange
    Free Member

How so via Cheque ?

honourablegeorge

I would think there’s some bloke in Northern Ireland that was very keen on your bike but thinks the seller was a scammer.

Unless he’s seen this thread, of course. Or maybe this thread is part of your elaborate plan. Nice.

orangeorange
    Free Member

That”s the whole point of this thread though-The very reason that I`m asking for opinions.

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t own a cheque book (cheques should have gone years ago) but that is not what would have put me off.
    It is asking to send a PayPal gift that would have me running as I would assume you are a scammer and I would never get the bike and I would have no come back.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I would say you scared him off. If he is on Pinkbike I would assume he knows what he wants and is getting. I often buy from pinkbike and hardly ever haggle or have to ask technical questions. Cosmetic questions sure, but I know enough to recognise a good deal. As for PayPal gift there is no way he would be able to get his money back. PayPal gift is exactly that, he is essentially gifting you money, PayPal will not pursue it if you do not provide him with the goods. It sounds to me like he was trying to do you a favour, with gift you don’t incur any PayPal charges.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Kerley-I didnt suggest Paypal gift,he did

amedias
    Free Member

suggesting he pay via cheque and once cleared he arranges collection from me…The trail has now gone very quiet

^ that would have me giving up too.

Who uses cheques any more? And that would put him at your mercy with time delays in cashing and clearing, and then you could conveniently not be around for couriers and stuff, basically I think you scared him off!

Offering Paypal gift is about as safe as it could be for you as he would then have no comeback, surprised you/he didn’t suggest bank transfer if you were at that level of trust.

scandal42
    Free Member

What was the chaps name?

I recently sold a road frame on Ebay with ‘buy it now’ or nearest offer, he paid the full price which is fair enough but I’m about to post it over to NI this afternoon and Paypal don’t release the funds straight away.

The guy sounds legit to be honest but this caught my attention.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scam alert-Or just my paranoia ……..’ is closed to new replies.