• This topic has 51 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by anjs.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Scaffolding and Concrete at Swinley
  • jfeb
    Free Member

RichT – email me (in profile) and I’ll send you a map with labyrinth on (and I’ll try to mark Tank Traps too, although I rode it for the first time yesterday!)

RichT

Lovely, thanks jfeb!

cinnamon_girl

I reckon The Stickler works well in both directions, which is what I always do! The bridge is slightly harder coming from the Devil’s Highway end.

I’ve certainly seen people riding Tank Trap in the direction of The Stickler, just doesn’t seem quite right!

As regards my moaning about a few trails being fenced off, it’s also some of the fire roads that are fenced off too so not just one or two. It’s being going on for at least a month now and I stand by my comment about it all being a PITA 😉

thepurist

I had a chat with one of the HP crew this morning – he said the last day of filming is scheduled to be tomorrow, then they’ve got a couple of weeks to get everything off site. He said they’ve been talking about end dates on site of 10th or 17th July, so a couple of weeks left.

Agreed it is a PITA, but the guy I spoke to this morning said that they’re paying the Crown Estate a fair whack for the filming so let’s just hope some of that trickles down into the hands of the trail pixies.

FieldMarshall

I wasn’t intentioanlly getting at anyone, more just trying to put a positive spin on things.

Since various areas have been fenced off, we have ended up riding some different trails and found some really good stuff that we just didn’t know was there.

I personally haven’t been stopped riding any of the fireroads that I wanted too and judging by the breaks in the tape people have been riding fenced off areas anyway, so don’t see it as a big issue.

On a positive note the trails were amazingly dry last night. Don’t remember that happening last summer until well into late Aug/Sep.

I was shocked how much I had to concentrate on my riding in order to find grip and not lock up under braking. It was almost like the first ride of winter if that makes sense, but way quicker and thus with more potential for serious injury.

jfeb
    Free Member

I was shocked how much I had to concentrate on my riding

Agreed. I have the grazes to prove it after a high speed bike-tree interface 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Only found tank traps the other week. Certainly think you have to ride that towards the tank traps though on that bit. The rest you can do either way.

The other part with the wooden bridge over the tree, is that Stickler then?

There's another section which has some concrete tank trap blocks which is quite fun. Again only found that recently. It's out west / north west -ish I think from Lower Star Post. Look for an entrance on the left down one of the fire roads. I think it's called Seagull? Recently been renovated.

cinnamon_girl

Feel free to call me cynical but I don't think mountain bikers will see any benefit from the income received by the Crown Estate.

deadkenny – yes, that is The Stickler. Tank Trap trail has those concrete blocks. The Seagull is a yellow brick road trail running from near The Devil's Highway to Lower Star Post.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Got a photo of what I thought might have been The Seagull.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadkenny/3673760898/

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I went over to swinley today. I'm not an expert at finding my way around there but found myself really losing my bearings trying to get around the fenced off area.

Just ended up playing on some little bits of trail I hadn't found before with some nice jumps and drop offs, before playing around in the jump gulley and going home.

Is the Labrynth (from the top of surrey hill) open at the moment? Couldn't find my way around to it with all the fencing.

cinnamon_girl

deadkenny – probably although it does seem rather orange.

scott – when you say fenced area, do you mean at the top of Surrey Hill where the 'fencing' is now on the ground, or at least it was yesterday? Labyrinth should be open.

anjs
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Scaffolding and Concrete at Swinley’ is closed to new replies.