Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SC Nomad – Talas 24's or Talsa 36's
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Question 1 of 2

Pretty much decided to invest in a Carbon Nomad as an all mountain / xc bike. Will be used out here in OZ as a trail bike – more xc than anything and as my main bike when I come back to visit the UK. It might see some use in Queenstown in NZ when I head over again so I can ride a bit of everything. In the uk it will be Local xc / trails centers and a bit of DH – Ribbesford / Cannock / FOD etc so nothing too crazy. I have a V10 for the proper DH stuff uplifts / alps / racing etc which I can always bring back if need be.

So Fox 160mm Talas 34’s or 36’s? on the front? Had a set of 36RC2’s before and I did like them – they were set up ok – but I don’t really think I need that much adjustment really.

Will the 34’s with 15mm axle handle the DH ok?

What is the CTD like to live with – do you find you stick it in trail and leave it there pretty much?

Can you get a remote for the 34’s – which would actually make the CTD Useful?

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The missus has just ordered the Blur LTc out here and Talas has dropped off the spec list – getting one sourced but not sure how long they will be available as standard.

Pinkbike Says 90% of time in T mode on the shock/fork

When I demoed the nomad I found it to be well balanced and not really needing a drop at the front to climb.

On the 15mm probably good for the lighter rider but 20mm for the harder/heavier rider.

On a serious note don’t discount the Blur LTc was as capable in a lot of ways. I wanted a Nomad but probably should get a blur 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a Talas fork on a Nomad. I’ve run mine at 160 & never felt the need to lower the front for climbing.

neil853
    Free Member

weight wise there’s almost nothing between the Carbon Blur and Nomad though, although they do ride quite differently. Blur feels a bit faster, stiffer (we’re talking fine margins here) but the Nomad does feel a nit plusher. FWIW I love my Blur LTc though.

Anyway back to the question, You would be fine with 34’s, in fact that’s probably what I would spec as they’re a good compromise between stiffness and weight. £^’s are amazing, but a bit overkill for a trail bike IMO. Wouldn’t worry about the stiffness of 15mm axles, mine has it and I don’t notice any flex and I’ve just come back from 8 days riding in the French Alps.

goatster
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with fox IMHO, RS lyriks are on mine and they are fab. Had 36 vans before that which were good as well but had usual fox longevity problems. If I was going fox I fero would not go talas, you will never need it. T

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Did consider Lyrics however I have had fox 36 before and like the feel and I have recently gone from boxxers to 40’s on the V10 and much prefer the feel of them too.

Will likely go for the 34 Talas CTD I think – means I can just buy a set of alloy Havens and be done with it rather than trying to convert wheels back and forth.

If I really want to ride full on DH then I’ll have to get the V10 out. Can’t see me hiting anything local that would be too much for 34’s/nomad/ haven components / wheels.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SC Nomad – Talas 24's or Talsa 36's’ is closed to new replies.