Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SC Bronson C Build – helpful opinions please!
  • chief1409
    Free Member

My Bronson was nicked last week so I’m putting together my replacement build spec for when the insurance cash comes through. The nicked bike had the following build:

Bronson C Matt
    2014 Fox Float CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust (kashima)
    2014 Fox Float 34 27.5″ 160mm FIT CDT with Trail Adjust Fork – 15mm QR (kashima)
    Reverb Stealth
    Invisiframe Kit
    DT Swiss 350 hubs
    Stans ZTR Flow EX 650b rims
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 27.5 x 2.25
    SDG Bel Air RL Saddle with Titanium/Alloy Rails
    Easton EA70 Lo-Riser bars 685mm
    ODI Ruffian Lock-On grips
    Thomson Elite X4 Stem Black, 80mm, 0 Degrees
    Shimano XTR Trail pedals
    Shimano XT M785 Brakes (203mm F/180mm R)
    Shimano XT triple chainset (24/32/42 x 11-36t)
    Shimano XT 10 Speed Shadow+ Rear Mech – Long Cage
    Hope BB – Steel
    SRAM 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain
    Chris King InSet 3 Headset

I’m considering the following changes to the build:
    Pike RCT3 Solo 150mm fork – better reviews than the float and much, much cheaper (best part of £300 as far as i can tell)!
    If i go for Nobby Nics again they will be double defense or snakeskin this time as they were a PITA – more holes than a sieve and needed loads of sealant. I am also considering Conti MKII – ProTection, BlackChilli.
    As for chainset I’ll probably be going XT 2×10 as i very very rarely used the big ring on the triple anyway. I’ve investigated SRAM X0 1×11 and could get it for within the budget (but still £400 more than 2×10 XT). I like the idea of the 1×11 simplicity (especially as i could put the reverb trigger on the left in place of the front derailleur) but is it worth the extra and would my fitness (or lack of as i’m only a weekend warrier) mean that I’d end up regretting it? On my old triple i could do the full black route climb at Glentress OK. How much worse would it be on a 1×11?? I’m not really sure how to gauge the difference just from the number of teeth…

Does anyone have any thoughts on how i could improve the build without increasing costs as its hideously expensive already…. Boys and their toys… 😉

I ride Cathkin Braes a lot as I live only a 20 mintues cycle away, but also spend my time at Carron Valley, the 7Stanes centres and also did 10 Under the Ben last year (on my Blur LT with same build which was also stolen!). Oh, I’m also doing the PassPortes Du Soliel this year so it needs to be good for that too!

kimbers

definitely pike, wont be going back to fox

what about 1×10 with a 42t modded cassette? or 11-36 and 30t r/f narrow wide

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Pike and X01 definitely, along with wider bars (around 750mm) and a short stem (50mm). The SRAM Roam or Rail complete wheelsets are well worth a look too. DT Swiss 240s internals, nice width UST rim and a very good weight. I love mine- best wheels I’ve ever owned.

kimbers

yeah wider bars is a big bonus, shorter stem then too, though depends on fit if bronson top tubes are a bit short?

mattjg
    Free Member

spend some of the budget on good security, they’ll be back for your new bike.

I’d concur with kimbers on gearing and goyb re bars and stem. you can borrow or buy cheap 2nd hand stems to try out bars and stem changes. Buy wide bars and cut down if they don’t suit.

personally I’m over the mega-bucks bling FS thing, they just get stolen anyway. I’d buy a trailsy HT, perhaps a 29er (Trek Stache or Yelli Screamy or the like), and spend the rest on a holiday. but I’m not you, I hope you get to enjoy your new ride for years not weeks.

chief1409
    Free Member

Thanks for the help folks.
    Security getting a big upgrade anyway as we’ve just moved house and new place needs it. Just a shame the bike got nicked before I could get security sorted. Until it physically cannot be stolen from outside it’ll be staying inside the house.
    Pike is a definite I think. Also worked out gear ratios now so 1×11 the favourite option. Money saved on the fork will pay the extra for the X01 chainset.
    I don’t regard the Bronson as blingy (not the matt version anyway), just a brilliant, but expensive bike. I’m not forking out new money here as insurance is paying for it and I’ll be getting a bike I know suits me and my riding albeit with some different components.

Getting a cheaper bike and blowing the rest on a one-off holiday is not for me. I’d be constantly thinking “if I’d bought a Bronson….” and end up getting that or something similar in the future anyway costing me more money in the long run!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maxxis HR front and Ardent rear bobby nics aren’t tough enough for 150mm AM bike. Paper side walls. Enve carbon rims on DT?

For security http://bikecages.co.uk

dlb1
    Free Member

just as a matter of interest who were you insured with. i allso have a bronson in build stage and wanna make sure it is fully insured like for like.

cheers

chief1409
    Free Member

Just had a big long chat with my mate who works in a bike shop…. He has a good point in that he reckons the money saved by going 2×10 XT as opposed to X01 1×11 could be put towards upgrading my wheels to carbon for same overall package price…. That would have a far greater impact on bike performance than saving a pound in weight through going single ring…..

So as you say Pawsy_Bear… Enve Carbon…. :mrgreen:

Home insurance is with RBS. No claim limit as long as the bike is at home (or in the garage as mine was). Need to upgrade the insurance if you want cover when away from home. My previous aluminium Blur LT (custom build) was nicked along with an old Mongoose Teocali Elite and they paid full price of the Blur custom build cost plus full cost price for the old Mongoose. Hence the reason I had the cash to get the mega-bike Bronson…

chief1409
    Free Member

Just checked the price of enve Carbon Rims. Not gonna happen!

kimbers

Lb carbon wheels better value

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XX/XO1 is a huge step forward and a good weight saving, on a 32t front you loose the top and bottom from a 24/38 setup. Yes you will not have those road smashing time trail gears but thats not that much of an issue.

Other thing sort out the colour and get the bright yellow one

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SC Bronson C Build – helpful opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.