• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SC blur TRc – Opinions
  • neilforrow

The one thing that concerns me is the relativly low BB height. Anyone on here got one…

Mal-ec
    Free Member

The one thing that concerns me is the proice, othwise i’d be all over it. Looks spot on on paper.

xc-steve
    Free Member

my mate wrote this – http://www.koo-bikes.com/blog/?p=679 looks an awesome bike but I’d buy a Yeti ASR5…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilforrow

steve – cheers for that, I read it over on SDH a few days ago and have asked AJ about it…

just looking for other opinions…

D0NK

£2700 😯

awh
    Free Member

.. I haven’t, but I have a Trek EX which has a 13.3″ BB height vs 13.1″ on the TRc (5mm). When I got it I noticed the BB was lower than previous bikes. The benefits definitely outweigh the occasional pedal strike. These only happen on rough natural trails though, trail centres have always been fine.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lovely, lovely, lovely. £2700 is ludicrous.
    I’d be tempted but for my money, I’d go ASR5.
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34676/Yeti-ASR-5-Carbon-2011—Full-Suspension-MTB-Frame–Various-Colours-.html?referrer=froogle1%3futm_source%3dgoogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid34676

£1100 cheaper!
    And you won’t have to deal with Jungle if things go wrong.

Carlos45
    Free Member

I have test ridden one a couple of times in the Surrey Hills. Amazing bike. Acceleration uphill was phenomenal far better than my current Scott Genius 20. Didn’t notice any issues with the low BB but to be fair this wasnt really tested. I have read some criticism about the slack angle and wandering front wheel on climbs – did not notice this at all – I was on a L and am 6′ 1.5″.

Downhill was scary at times – a little faster than I’m used to but that was part of the fun.

I’m buying one and in the process of speccing it out.

colin27
    Free Member

I’d have an LTC instead. Pedals incredibly well, isn’t much heavier and is a bit cheaper too.
    As to the Yeti suggestions – don’t they keep breaking? I’ve known several people who have fought for warranty swingarms etc.

neilforrow

Yeti suggestions – don’t they keep breaking?

Having seen a mate snap 2 rear ends on his 574, the yeti, while it is a lovly bike, is not on the list.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m pretty gutted as I bought an LTc and then a couple of months later they released the TRc. Don’t get me wrong I love my LTc but if i’m hoest I would have prefered the lower weight and slightly slacker angles. Prefer the colours too 🙄

I’m not really a yeti fan, carbon stuff from yeti (esp the back ends) seem to have a high failure rate don’t they?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not for me. It’s seriously fugly, it’s got no ISCG tabs (big fail on this sort of bike) – oh and the price?!?!

wrecker
    Free Member

Valid points on the yeti but there’s no way I’d spend that amount of money on that frame. SC/Jungle are taking the piss, it’s (roughly) half the price in the US.

neilforrow

with regards to the LTC:

Don’t get me wrong I love my LTc but if i’m hoest I would have prefered the lower weight and slightly slacker angles.

sums it up. I dont want the LTC

Also the issue of future-proofing i.e. a syntace rear end is a bit on an issue for all of the SC carbon range.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SC/Jungle are taking the piss, it’s (roughly) half the price in the US

Not really true. Stuff is always cheaper in the US because of the bigger market and lower distribution costs – would be the same with any manufacturer

The US price on the LTc is $2576 which equates to £1700. Add about £100 for shipping and insurance, 4% duty on top of that and 20% VAT on everything and you end up with £2184 compared to £2499 for the UK list price. Assuming you could get a 10% discount from a UK dealer and there’s less than £100 difference.

wrecker
    Free Member

Stuff is always cheaper in the US because of the bigger market and lower distribution costs – would be the same with any manufacturer

Not really true. Have you seen the recent comments from Competitive cyclist?
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/whats-new/definitely-not-wikileaks.426.html

Pivot mach 5.7 $2200 £1800
    Ibis mojo HD $2499 £2175
    Turner 5 spot $2550 £1999
    SC seem to be ripping us off when compared to the other US manufacturers.

neil853
    Free Member

Also the issue of future-proofing i.e. a syntace rear end is a bit on an issue for all of the SC carbon range

of all the things to consider this wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of the list. You’ve got to ride them. I’m only going by what i’ve read on the TRc, if i rode it I may change my opinion. There aren’t many (if any) frames i’d have over mine.

Fat-boy-fat

Good to see lots of well informed opinion here again.

As someone who actually owns and rides a TRc (call me mental cos the cost if you will), I’ll give you my impressions.

I basically bought this bike hoping it would be like my original blur, which seemed to perfectly combine the uphill/downhill balance but was murder with bearings and tyre clearance.

The TRc is a good bike … but maybe not quite as good as I’d hoped.

The whole bearing and tyre clearance thing has definitely been sorted. This does seem to be a bike designed for gloop.

If you like a full suspension bike that skips across the ground rather than ploughs down trails (which I must admit I do), it is a cracking ride.

I’ve not had any issues with the low bottom bracket and it has an amazingly stiff swing arm.

The angles make the bike not quite so good going uphill as I was hoping (not as good as my original blur but a marked improvement over my previous LT).

I may be imagining this but I do notice the bike seems to drift left at the rear rather than tracking in a straight line.

Shock setup on it is even more crucial than other VPP bikes. Get it wrong and the ride gets quite scary to be honest. I’ve settled on about 1/3rd of travel for sag to get it handling the way I want.

The final thing I’d say is that the new Kashima Fox RP23 shock is not that good. They seem to have binned the inertial valve in favour of high compression damping in the “locked out” position, which really does affect long road or fireroad climbs. I really preferred the previous RP23 shock I had on my old LT.

Hope this helps.

LoCo
    Free Member

db blur by Loco Tuning

Dave likes his

http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk/the-kit/

neilforrow

Fat-boy-fat – cheers for that

LoCo – on his site it sais he rides a blur xc?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes it is (an xc) 😳 that’s what you get for doing too many things on the computer a once!
    Obvious different geo and setup, but the quality of the frame, Vpp linkage has been excellent considering the beating he’s given them.
    Kicked my arse down some silly steep tech. stuff on it too 😆
    Tempted by a TRc for next year but will probably go for a Nomad as my longer travel bike if justify it to myself (this shouldn’t be too hard 😉 )

matt23
    Free Member

I am currently watching my phone waiting for the LBS to ring telling me my TRC is ready…….Fox 32 Talas, XO, Hopes, Reverb and I can’t wait to get pics on here and get the STW telling me wots wrong 😆

Might not get a chance for a proper ride till Weds but I can’t wait – had a Nomad C before awesome bike but too much bike for me, tested a few bikes Orange, Yeti, Trek and Scott and enjoyed the TRC better over the Twrch trail in Cwmcarn.

**Looks at phone ‘Ring god damm it, RING’**

hora
    Free Member

I’d LOVE ONE

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SC blur TRc – Opinions’ is closed to new replies.