Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Say goodbye to your wood burning stoves
  • jag61

Michael Gove, the Environment Secretary, is to launch a consultation in the New Year which will examine pollutants caused by wet wood and smoky coal.If it sanything like his consultations with teachers and prison service should be no problem at all he seems to f up every job he gets Eventually has to be PM as promoted out of harms way. There are few near me 1960’s estate near city centre Some of the more sensible options ^^ will be way too obvious for pob expect the unexpected bound to be ok after brexit as once again a toxic fog drifts across near europe from our powertations, wood burners and old diesels. Happy christmas 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/ZY3J3Y_OU0w[/video]

Relax, it’s Christmas

squirrelking
    Free Member

This is a sweeping assertion, but I suspect that the OP and everyone else on this thread is failing to focus on what really matters, which is not what sources of energy we should be using for heat etc., and in what proportions, but rather that as a society we need to reduce consumption of all energy sources and vastly improve improve the energy efficiency of our homes and workplaces.

Unfortunately that is potentially much more difficult to achieve than installing a new woodburner or any other form of heating.

Who do you think you are? Coming in here with your rational points and common sense!

That said I disagree in that what we are using and in what proportions are very relevant to the question of sustainability. The rest is spot on though. There is plenty of room in this world for log burners so long as it’s only those who need to use them as opposed to them being used as a lifestyle accessory.

I was addressing your insinuation that nuclear and hydro power don’t generate any ‘pollution’.

You wanted to argue semantics over the dictionary definition of words, I provided you an example of where waste became a ‘pollutant’ (and will be ‘polluting’ for the next 20 000 years).

Waste is contained, pollution is not, it’s very easy to understand. Nuclear stations do not pollute as a rule. There have been exceptions over the years but again these are not routine occurrences. I’m well aware that large scale hydro is a massive methane polluter if the land isn’t suitably prepared beforehand but our schemes are mature enough that it’s no longer a problem.

I was addressing your insinuation that mains gas and electricity production was more polluting than lifestyle choice wood burners. It’s generally not if anyone is getting bogged down in semantics it’s yourself.

Read a book: https://www.withouthotair.com/

Seriously, it explains where I am taking my point of view from better than arguing back and forth down a rabbit hole will.

mt
    Free Member

Got three wood burners, mostly use one as the house heating. We are without gas, oil (difficult access for tanker), electricity goes off in windy weather. Wood burners pretty essential at times for hot water and cooking. We have an endless supply of wood of many types. Using PV, wet solar panels and air source heat pump but when the electricity fails its light those stoves and put the kettle on.

Can understand issues around cities though but since most of us don’t give monkey’s about clean air and the environment if it interferes with our lifestyle, then its all hypocracy as far as I’m concerned. Of course if you are making significant changes to your life to reduce your impact on the environment (like not flying, no diesel/petrol car, vastly reduced or zero red meat consumption to name a few) then I apologies.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Merely pointing out the irony of labasting people with log burners – when the actuality is that the production of energy (and i struggle to think of an example that doesnt) by any means when you look beyond ’round my way’ – all have their own unique issues from raw materials > user product > dealing with residuals.

Happy flouncemas!

Drac

Who do you think you are? Coming in here with your rational points and common sense!

I”ve banned him for life, we only want rash and angry judgements on here.

gobuchul
    Free Member

we only want rash and angry judgements on here.

Who do YOU think YOU are? Telling me what I want? I’m fuming.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Merely pointing out the irony of labasting people with log burners – when the actuality is that the production of energy (and i struggle to think of an example that doesnt) by any means when you look beyond ’round my way’ – all have their own unique issues from raw materials > user product > dealing with residuals.

Of course they have their issues which is why understanding those issues, their impact and how you go about eliminating or balancing them out in order keep things as sustainable as possible is important.

As I’ve repeatedly said I’m not lambasting anyone who lives sustainably, it’s when you start getting into unsustainable habits there is an issue. As I said the book explains it better but from the sound of it you already get it.

slowster
    Free Member

I’ve banned him for life

I wouldn’t want to belong to a forum that would have me as a member.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Government completly ignores pollution in cities from internal combustion engine and focuses on a non issue shocker…

😕

mt
    Free Member

We all completely (almost) ignore the pollution we force on others. Now I’m off to a bike park in the car for a ride.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It’s right that government looks at wood burners. Some people find them hateful, others like them, possible benefits… It’s a complex issue and I’m glad the government area to look into them.

I could go without, I’m one of those that lots here lambast, zone 3 London, 2 stoves, wow i must be killing baby robins. I have insulated the house where practical, including pulling down loads of plasterboard to insulate ceiling they was inaccessible from above. What my house needs it’s external wall insulation, but the pay back time is 20 years as the cost is so considerable, and I doubt I’ll be in the house that long.

I’ve read what I can about wood burners and do my very best to keep it clean. No neighbours have ever complained, some stop and chat if I’m splitting out in the front garden and they clearly have no issues.

I get wood, for free, from a very local tree surgeon. With car fuel and 2 stroke fuel for the saw I use 2-3 gallons of petrol to process ~10m3. If I didn’t do that I suspect at least, if not far more, energy would be used in shipping of and processing for DRAX. The result for all this is a very very small gas bill indeed, and a payback for 2 stoves and the chainsaws etc of about 5 years. While I love the stoves, saws and axes if it made financial sense to do the insulation I’d do it. So I hope the government study sees the bigger picture.

I also feel there is a balance between local impact (pollution) and global impact (carbon reduction) and don’t really know how to weigh these up. I try to read what I can, burn clean and maximise the carbon neutral element of stove use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why is the government stating they will look at wet wood and smokey coal emissions anyway .

only a complete idiot burns that anyway.

are they going to outlaw idiocy ? please do , that should remove about 70% of drivers from the roads :d

mt
    Free Member

Trail rat, only complete idiots don’t give a moneys what they are doing to the planet with there polluting vehicles, holidays where they fly anywhere, excessive meat consumption, consumer throw away goods, fashion conscious lifestyles and phoney regard for others. Is those people who burn damp wood? I think 70% of drivers will be massive underestimate.

Must go need another log ont fire. Happy Christmas one and all

PS will Ule Logs be band as being damp? I like me chocolate log moist (oh er misses).

dannybgoode

We have no need for a stove whatsoever other than we wanted one.

We have bought one though that meets the forthcoming 2022 Defra regs so that’s our get out:).

Awesome stove – wouldn’t be without it now and barely have the heating on in a big 4 bed house.

timber

Back to an earlier point about drying times of species, you can add time of year and fungi to your list of variables. Ringing trees for standing deadwood is a favoured method.

Oddly, some of the wettest woods are some of the quicker to dry. Alder doesn’t take too long to dry out and will be like polystyrene if left too long. Lawson Cypress and Grandis Fir dry fast too, a wet load of Grandis maxes out the timber wagon 2/3 of the way up the bolsters, 6 months in the open and it will be to the top of the pins. Drivers mention losing 1-2t in weight on longer (250m+) hauls from some species.

jimjam
    Free Member

timber – Member

Ringing trees for standing deadwood is a favoured method.

Reading through this thread and speaking of standing deadwood…..yesterday I started burning some ash from a big limb which had partially broken off in a storm and hung for at least two years till I pulled it down and processed it. Bone dry, burns brilliantly, great heat off it and since it has traveled well under a mile from tree to stove it’s green credentials are pretty good but…..outside there’s a strange smell. Not horrible or acrid but certainly noticeable and surprising considering the quality of the wood.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

are they going to outlaw idiocy ? please do , that should remove about 70% of drivers from the roads :d

It could also help with the overcrowding issue, by removing 98% of the population as well!

funkmasterp

I removed an Aga Rembrandt fireplace from my house a few months ago. I’ve turned the hearth and nook in to a den for Funk Jr. Proper environmentalist me 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Say goodbye to your wood burning stoves’ is closed to new replies.