Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sawing of v-brake mounts.Encouragement needed.
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

Just had a kona explosive delivered.It’s lovely apart from those ugly pointy bits on my seat stays.I’m a bit worried about taking the hacksaw to them, but think it has to be done.Someone please give me the courage to do it.

rob
    Free Member
    topangarider
    Free Member

Don’t they unscrew?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Planet X Compo minus v brake bosses…..just be careful, leave a bit to file off and dont use too coarse a file

Junkyard
    Free Member

go on son you can do it dont be scared its only a new frame what could possible go wrong? I am sure the guarantee will be fine… they would understand.
    will you actually notice them when you are on the bike?

gingerflash

You can see the C shaped bits I left behind on this. I stopped short of perfectly smooth as I was worried about damaging the paint on the rest of the stay and the satin finish was impossible to match with touch-up.

From the side, it’s nice and smooth though.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’ve done it before on some cheap steel forks and looked ok.But think I’ll leave it for now.It’s a second hand frame.Great job on the planet x.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I’ve done it to an old steel frame…

Agree with Ken Shields; the trick is not to hacksaw too close to the seat stay, then carefully finish with a medium/fine file (I polished with wet’n’dry, but then I’m like that). It takes time to do well, so don’t rush it. And remember you’ll need to repaint the frame in that area, so get a good colour match before you start cutting (or else have the whole frame powder coated, which is what I did).

markenduro
    Free Member

Pretty sure I unscrewed mine and it just left the bosses on the frame, when you are riding it you can’t even see them.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Yeah damaging the paint is a big concern as well.Would have to be really careful.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Looks like it’s all one piece

mudmonster
    Free Member

The stays curve slightly which will make filing less risky for the paint around

markenduro
    Free Member

Think mine was a 2005 one (blue) there should be a flat on the stud nera to the frame boss, get a BFO spanner on it and give them a spin (normal thread direction), they will be loctited in so will take a bit of moving.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice but “put the saw down” has seemed to have stuck with me.

andym
    Free Member

Get your LBS to take the bosses out, then get some of those natty little jobbies that screw into the hole.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Know what you mean about the flat on the stud area but there is nothing like that on this frame.I would have thought they would be replaceable too.

Farticus

I did exactly what you’re thinking about on my 04 Explosif. Hacksaw, then many hours of patient filing. Left the tubes nice & smooth, but now all covered in insulating tape until it gets a respray in a few years. Nothing to be afraid of if you’re patient!

Oh, the frames covered a good 5,000 miles since I did this, so no damage done.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thanks farticus.If I do it I’ll be very, very patient.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sawing of v-brake mounts.Encouragement needed.’ is closed to new replies.