Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Saw a hedgehog just now
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

Saw a hedgehog just now sprinting past the patio door. I put some cat biscuits out once I knew he or she was there and it doubled back. Now there are loud crunching noises coming from the dark. I have never seen anything so intent on food as hedgehogs generally are.

I really like them, they are just so amusing.

Anyone else got them in the garden? I can never work out where they live in the daytime, never found one asleep or whatever.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

never found one asleep

Listen out for them – they are known to snore quite loudly

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTC6O_DnTug[/video]

rp16v
    Free Member

there lush i want one…. i saved one that was stuck in a mc flurry cup couldent back out of the lid due to the conical shape going aganst the reversed spikes.

GRAEMEJONES

Got 2 in the back garden right now munching on cat biscuits. Put some water out for him. I find an old take away box works ok for them to drink from .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Baby hedgehogs are silly cute 🙂

stavromuller
    Free Member

Get them in my garden all the time, they are really funny. Trouble is they are a bit dumb with traffic

bloodynora
    Free Member

Haven’t seen any for a while, bit of a lean spell for them so I believe? Walking home from the pub the other night though startled a badger in our street, they seem to be flourishing!

samuri
    Free Member

They are dumb, but they know what they like. (Eating stuff). They’re good lads generally. They’ll sort out any small pest problems you might have in a jiffy.

wellhung
    Free Member

Got 2 in our back garden tasted nice mind 😀

stavromuller
    Free Member

Ernie, that has got to be the cutest thing EVER!!!

nedrapier

Saw two today, both squished 🙁

stavro, this any good for you?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9f-6jygRJk[/video]

stavromuller
    Free Member

Tough call Ned but the hedgehog wins

Lifer
    Free Member

Vid of the Slow Loris is definitely not cute!

The slow lorises in the videos are only docile because that is their passive defensive reaction to threatening situations

International trade usually results in a high mortality rate during transit, between 30% and 90%.

In order to give the impression that the primates are tame and appropriate pets for children, to protect people from their potentially toxic bite, or to deceive buyers into thinking the animal is a baby, animal dealers either pull the front teeth with pliers or wire cutters or they cut them off with nail cutters. This results in severe bleeding, which sometimes causes shock or death.

As part of the trade, infants are pulled prematurely from their parents, leaving them unable to remove their own urine, feces, and oily skin secretions from their fur.

All five species are listed as either “Vulnerable” or “Endangered” on the IUCN Red List

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_loris#Wildlife_trade

konaboy2275
    Free Member

They sleep in your bed when you’re at work, didn’t you know? got one at our house and it’s ace, keeps setting off the lights so prob costing me a fortune lighting my garden at 4 in the morning!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have to agree, they’re the cutest critters ever!
    I saw one in the garden the other day – the first live one I’ve seen since I were a lad- then my Jack Russell got hold of one the next day, and I’ve since seen several flat ones…
    Is it something to do with our lovely summer?

JRTG
    Free Member

Have one in my garden too. Havn’t found it’s day space yet but there are so many hiding places!

I had to build a wooden box open at both ends to put the food in as the local fox (and baby fox) not to mention the local cats tended to beat them too it. Now only the hedgehog can fit in.

I blinged it up by using gold aluminium mesh on tie sides too. That way we can watch it munch happily away!

corroded
    Free Member

Haven’t seen a hedgehog in years, sadly. Apparently the fall in their numbers is connected to the rise in badgers.

enfht
    Free Member

I need to hire a couple to take care of all the snails in my garden

Do they do callouts?

z1ppy

Out late the other night, saw one i our garden for the first time in years, as our very woofy dog scared them off when we move in – I think their great.
    G/f used to work in a vets, says the mature ones are bit scary (bloody big!).

Del

nice one Flash! haven’t been there in a while. 😀

LOLcats

racefaceec90

i saw one about a week ago.they’re great 😀

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Driving to work this week, I had to stop the car and rescue a hedgehog who had decided to go to sleep in the middle of the road. Dozy bugger. Hopefully he waddled off into the long grass instead of back onto the road.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Hog back again tonight, checking out the conservatory full of confidence. Got more biscuits for his cheek.

That photo of the hoglet is very sweet.

GRAEMEJONES

Don’t forget his water.. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Saw a hedgehog just now’ is closed to new replies.