Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Saturday jobs for kids – where can they work?
  • the-muffin-man

My 14 year old daughter is after a Saturday job but I’ve no idea what type of businesses she could work in in this new H&S world!?

Obvious ones are pubs, cafes and chippys – but are there restrictions around these now?

Back in my day I ran printing presses at 13 during the school holidays. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

She can’t work in a pub (as in bar tending) as you have to be over 18 to serve alcohol. I’d say the best bet would be a local cafe – I don’t think I’d want my 14 yr old daughter working in a pub (even if it was just serving food). Perhaps that’s because I met my now wife when I was a 27 yr old bar man and she was the innocent 18 yr old waitress 🙂

franksinatra

she was the innocent 18 yr old waitress

at least that is what she told you.. 😉

plyphon
    Free Member

Paper round springs to mind.

But when I was 15ish (well over ten years ago now, damn.) it was impossible to find a job – my parents didn’t believe me until they marched me round the same shops I had been the week before all to be told they don’t hire under 16 years of age. Mum was godsmacked, convinced I was telling porkie pies to avoid getting a job.
    (these were at standard city centre chains, Next, H&M, etc)

After I left secondary school at 16 I got a job at Tesco straight away.

I don’t know if things have changed, but if you think about it – when was the last time you saw someone under 16 working at a shop?

Might get better luck at “mum and pop” style shops, card shops, crafts, garden centers, etc…

jimdubleyou

Is down t’pit an option?

Supermarket work? Might be limited to local firms as I don’t think big firms take under 16s.

Also – babysitting?

mark_h4dng
    Free Member

Pretty certain you can’t work a full day until you have a national insurance number , which you get just before you are 16,
    before that they can only work a max of 2 hours max, from 13years old.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/dec/14/child-workers-rights

wwaswas

Under 16’s is a minefield for employers – easier just to not go there unless there’s nepotism involved.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

This is a serious suggestion. Is she relatively fit and active?

If so then look at doing a refereeing course. My lad di one at 13 (Cost us £100) and he is on the local FA fast track programme. He gets £20 per match wether he is linesman or ref. He is currently looking at 2 matches on a Saturday and he refs the youth teams of the local professional clubs on sunday.

That’s £60 per week for 3hrs work.

He does about 6-7k running as linesman and about 11k as a ref.

Oh and they would be falling over a girl to be qualified etc as I bet there is a shortage

Drac

There’s limitations as righty so they should be protected.

Saturday is 5 hours max for 13 and 14 year olds, 15 year old is 8 hours.

They can not do anything that involves heavy labour.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Our 15yr old tried to get a Holiday job this year. Most places wanted a CV!! In the end she volunteered at a local charity shop and we gave her extra cash.
    As a result she gained some retail experience as well as how to deal with the public.
    Hopefully this will give her enough experience to get a coffee shop job next summer.

stevied
    Free Member

Local garden centre?
    I started at my local one @ 11yo, cutting down Christmas trees (with a chainsaw – H&S – pah).
    Was a great job, working outside most of the time, leaning about how things grow etc. It’s some skills that will stay with you in later life too..

P-Jay
    Free Member

When I was a kid under 16 work was limited to Milk / Paper Rounds or working with Dad/Uncle/Granddad at the weekend.

Given the rules below I guess that’s still going to be the case.

Children and young people under school leaving age (England and Wales only)

There are strict limits to the hours children and young people under school leaving age (see under heading General rules on employment) are allowed to work. You must not work:-

during school hours on any school day
    for more than two hours on any school day or for more than 12 hours in any week in which you are required to go to school
    for more than two hours on a Sunday
    for more than eight hours (five hours if you are under 15) on any day which is not a school day or a Sunday
    before 7am or after 7pm
    for more than 35 hours (25 if you are under the age of 15) in any week in which you are not required to go to school
    for more than four hours in any day without a break of one hour
    at any time, if during the 12 months beginning 1 January, working means that you have not had two uninterrupted weeks of holiday from school.

doris5000

I used to sell programs at the local football club. 6p a program and I got to watch most of the match too 🙂

franksinatra

I earned an absolute fortune doing paper rounds, I paid for my Kona Lava dome in cash (£580 25 years ago)

I have never felt as rich, or fit, as I did when I worked paper rounds.

The only thing is that a lot of the local nutters used to be active in the very early mornings, not sure if I would want my daughter out and about then

the-muffin-man

Paper round isn’t an option in the village where we live – so few people have them they get delivered by car from a shop 4 miles away.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I did the full paper round followed by milk round thing. By the age of 16 I was doing milk round plus Saturday job to be able to eat while I was at school (Long story).

Its slave labour.

Used to get up at 4.30-5am. Work until 7.45am 7 days per week. Got £25 for it.

It was £5 per week for the papers.

I don’t know the current rate of pay but my suggestion above is fun, brings fitness and learning and is actually a very very well paid future career if talented.

None of my kids will be doing papers or milk round

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, even when I was 15 it was a PITA (16 years ago!).

There’s also rules about handling money IIRC. You can actually sell alcohol, you just need supervision, which can make it more of a PITA than it’s worth.

Best option is to find a small business you actually want to work at rather than just a supermarket/pub/garden center. I went to work in a chemical laboratory at 17 during the holidays and got £7/hr Vs the £3.60 you got from a supermarket!

johndoh
    Free Member

I did a paper round when I was about 13 or 14. I got some amazing tips at Christmas – they would pay for presents for the whole family.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

That just paid for the extra physio needed to sort the back problems carrying 2 bags at once because the Christmas supplements and TV Times tripled the amount you had to carry. Too heavy, that’s ok, load them up Mexican bandit style (2 bags) and the shop owner used to drive and drop off another couple of bags. Well worth a few Christmas tips.

No heavy handling. We used to have to get off the van while carrying 3 crates of milk while the thing was moving. I don’t think I could do that now. Only positive was the end of the run with a full van of emties and crates the owner would rally the van with us in the back throwing us about. Great fun.

km79
    Free Member

Grass cutting, cash in hand.

irvb

News Delivery Technician, or paper “boy” in my day is a dying job. My son did a morning round between 2010 and 2015 and I helped him on a Sunday. The volume of customers dropped by about 30%, so the rounds were amalgamated to cover a larger area.

Interesting article here for how the economics of the paper route / child labour works/worked – https://longreads.com/2017/08/25/wrapping-the-sunday-paper-for-the-last-time/

mick_r

Does her school run work experience placements at end of year 10? Ours does (but you have to find the placement yourself). It does not have to be somewhere they want a career – purely to get them used to turning up, being helpful, integrating with strangers etc. But it can lay the foundations for other things and a first CV.

Our son absolutely grafted and tried hard not to be a typical “teenager” – net result he got some great freebies for his effort during placement, and then 3 days per week paid for 4 weeks over summer.

Maybe forget Saturday work at 14 but start planning and thinking ahead for other options. Also think a bit outside the norm – the place we chose had never done work experience previously.

Watty

Even when I were a lad back in’t seventies I’m pretty sure you had to be 15 for a Saturday job. I did an hour after school on Friday and all day Saturday in our local Budgen for the princely sum of five pounds. I was able to work in the school holidays and it funded my first motorcycle. Happy days, simple times.

jimbobo
    Free Member

A bit left field, but maybe set her up right for future employment by looking into online jobs? Paid moderators, data entry, there’s websites full of “jobs”! Thatbate paid by the task, ideal for a few hours per week. My BiL got paid to type up 100 years of family letters and scan photos.

ourmaninthenorth

Farming.

I lived in a village and my parents worked. So I was volunteered to work for one of the farmers.

Hard work though..!

(Actually, not strictly a Saturday job as I, er, was at school on Saturday.)

Drac

Paid moderators,

😯

anagallis_arvensis

I used to do a paper round as did some mates. One day somone tried to abduct my mate a week later he got another paper boy and murdered him. My son wont be doing one.

MoreCashThanDash

My lad has just got a Monday-Friday paper round. 17 houses, 35 minutes to get round walking. £80 a month!

Papers dropped off from the shop in the next village at 7am, 3 other lads as the village is split into 4 rounds.

Other lads have the weekend paper rounds.

BoardinBob

Edit: buggered that one 😆

bruneep

Do people still get papers delivered? Cant remember the last time I looked at one, get all my news online.

hammerite
    Free Member

Pub work maybe shouldn’t be out of the question. Jnr earned £6 an hour pot washing at the age of 14. Unfortunately he only covered for the usual lad when he was away on holiday.

jimbobo
    Free Member

paid mods!

though i suspect it would not be enough to subsidise a STW real ale/audi/ 2 new bikes a year lifestyle!

Pz_Steve

mark_h4dng – Member
    Pretty certain you can’t work a full day until you have a national insurance number , which you get just before you are 16,
    before that they can only work a max of 2 hours max, from 13years old.

Worth checking. We had a couple of youngsters on work experience from school who impressed enough that we offered them seasonal work for the school summer holidays. Both applied for (and got) NI numbers, although they’re only 15.

What you do need (or at least, if you’re in Cornwall) is a young person’s work permit from your local council. This is basically to ensure that the demands of their proposed employment will not have an adverse affect on their studies. I got the application forms from the council website – needed to be countersigned by their school and their parents (I guess to ensure that everyone’s happy with the arrangements). Then there are limits to how much they can work (term time differs from holidays).

Recommend that you check out your council’s website – it was pretty clear with Cornwall Council. There are lots of things they can’t do (e.g. they can work as a waiter / waitress, but can’t work in a kitchen where there are knives, etc), but you can infer from that exactly what they can do.

And for any employers out there, both our youngsters have been brilliant. One in particular I’d happily tempt out of full-time education!

molgrips
    Free Member

I earned bugger all on a paper round. I delivered 314 papers in two evenings, at 2p each. £6.28 for two full evenings working from hometime to bedtime. No time for homework.

I then worked in a supermarket at 16 – that was one of the grimmest experiences of my life. I gave up. Works sucks.

Saccades
    Free Member

Jeez, I had 3 paper rounds and was the “spare” if someone didn’t show up earnings £30 quid a week back in the 90’s. Plus unlike my mates stacking shelves I worked as a lifeguard earnings twice what they did.

I only bought a raleigh Mustang though….

footflaps

Do people still get papers delivered?

I’d love to, but my local newsagent closed and became a take away…..

He did say that employing kids for paper rounds had become a nightmare in terms of legislation, but I suspect he closed because newspaper sales have been in decline for years….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Saturday jobs for kids – where can they work?’ is closed to new replies.