Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Satterthwaite, near Coniston – this weekend coming up
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Having a long weekend in the Lakes, based at Satterthwaite. Is there much in the way of good singletrack around the area, or will I be restricted to Grizedale and TNF trail?

Any help and or advice greatly appreciated.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Forget the North face trail but if you haven’t done Grizedale before you can spend a spend a good day there, there’s some great riding to be had. Then further North towards Ambleside you have routes around Iron Keld, Elterwater etc, East you have Claiffe, West you have Walna Scar and down to Seathwaite. The list goes on and all rideable from your doorstep! I would be jealous if i didn’t live there myself (-:

I might be around or someone else on ridethelakes.com if you fancy hooking up with others. Otherwise try the excellent VG Lakes guide book or biketreks, Wheelbase for route maps.

Have fun!

snowslave

like ridethelakes ses – it’s fantastic round there! Way to think of it is if you use the nft for anything other than gaining height you’ve missed some great riding straight from your doorstep. I’m jealous!

djglover
    Free Member

Walna Scar and Dunnerdale one day, then Iron keld > loughrigg terrace > garburn pass and back in a day the next.

That’s what I did when I was up there in August.

I can’t see me riding North Face or Whinlatter any time soon, although I may succumb when I’m on holiday for a week in May

grumm
    Free Member

Loads of great riding in and around Grizedale – get the VG Guide book. The Grizedale routes in it are great, and the Iron Keld and Loughrigg route in it has some awesome views and riding.

NFT isn’t really worth bothering with unless using it to get up towards Parkamoor/Lawson Park from the visitor’s centre in which case it makes a good alternative to climbing on fire roads.

edit: btw I did the second loop of Whinlatter for the first time yesterday – really enjoyed it. Great for practising jumps and a nice contrast to the natural rocky stuff the Lakes has to offer. The new climb on the first loop is a big improvement too – despite the sketchy drop!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The forest is closed for a rally on 7th March 🙁 I’ll post a map showing the interdicted area

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Closure is on the west side only (inc NFT & access to Parkamoor)

scruff
    Free Member

Best route from conistion to grizedale via hawksheadish please Mr Barnes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Head of lake, Boon Crag Farm, (1mi road) Yew Bank (east side of Tilberthwaite valley), Hodge quarry, High Oxen Fell, Iron Keld, Knipe Fold, (1mi road), Hawkshead, Vicarage Lane (under square archway in village), concessionary BW into Grizedale then NFT or various other interesting tracks to VC

scruff
    Free Member

Ta.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help

Think a phatt weekend is in order

Cheers guys

snakebite
    Free Member

Womder if we’ll bump into of SFB’s riding lady friends this weekend….looks like it may be a bit nippy up there 😀

scruff
    Free Member

SFB, Cheers that was a great little route. Good ride until Snakebite took over the ‘guiding’ on Grizedale…

snakebite
    Free Member

Dont blame me….I merely pointed out a track and we all agreed to follow it. We now all know that a lot of the boardwalk on the NFT IS PRETTY NECESSARY. The stuff up around Iron Keld/Oxen etc was good, nice link up route.

Sat at 2.45pm at the very top of Walna in ridiculous gusts of minus whatever wind in stinging sleet/hail….now who’se idea was that…

Hartley’s XB.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB, Cheers that was a great little route.

I’m glad you liked it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Satterthwaite, near Coniston – this weekend coming up’ is closed to new replies.