Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Satnav app for android use in USA without data plan?
  • Shackleton

Morning all,

I’m heading to the US soon and would like a satnav app to get around with. I don’t mind paying for one but want to be able to drive about without needing to download maps for each route or update constantly. I won’t have a data plan out there so I need to get everything onto my tablet before I go to the US.

I think the tomtom app fits the bill but are there other better ones out there?

Thanks in advance,

P

jon1973
    Free Member

Navfree has maps for the USA I think. You donwload them country by country, in advance. No data connection required when you’re using it. Don’t know if it’s better than Tomtom, but it’s free.

nickjb
    Free Member

I use Navfree. Works ok. MapsWithMe is also good for browsing and tracking. In fact I prefer 2d tracking on MapsWithMe to turn by turn sat nav.

hopefiendboy

Mapfactor Navigator. Has been impressive so far for use in uk and republic of ireland.

Shackleton

Thank you folks, will look into your suggestions.

CountZero

NavFree here, didn’t work very well on my old iPhone 4, so used CoPilot, but tried it recently on my iP5, and it’s much better than CoPilot at finding cross-country routes using roads that CoPilot doesn’t even recognise. I’m talking proper A and B roads, not narrow little lanes. It finds better routes than Google and Apple Maps, too.
    Really very impressed with it.
    And as been said, you install the maps, and make sure your data roaming is OFF!

Shackleton

Just had a look at navfree and it doesn’t do the US! Seems a bit odd, will have to keep looking.

Cougar

CoPilot.

Search the forum, this question pops up about once a fortnight.

Shackleton

Thanks Cougar, CoPilot looks pretty good.

I did initially search the forum as I remember seeing the topic in the past. But as the search function on here is next to useless it didn’t throw up much useful so I started a new topic.

olly2097
    Free Member

If you get a three sim card there is no roaming charges anymore for certain countries. The usa being one of them.

£15 1 month rolling contract with all you can eat data can be used in the USA. Sorted.

Cougar

the search function on here is next to useless

Use site:singletrackworld.com as a modifier in Google.

jota180
    Free Member

Just had a look at navfree and it doesn’t do the US! Seems a bit odd, will have to keep looking.

You sure?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA&hl=en

Shackleton

Cheers jota. Navfree does do the US, you just have to download a different app to the european one!

Olly – looked awesome until I saw that you had to have been with Three for 30 days prior and as far as I could see was limited to 10Gb (although that is quite a lot!). Otherwise it looks like a great option.

laserstoat
    Free Member

Ther other alternative is to get a one month US PAYG sim card with some data and minutes & texts, typically 500 mb data, which will sort you out for navigation, also data is useful for searches and internet use, you’ll also have the advantage of a working phone, there’s some good deals. You have to unlock your phone to use the sim card though. Worked well for me earlier in the summer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Satnav app for android use in USA without data plan?’ is closed to new replies.