Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Satmap- London to Paris
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’m attempting a 24 hour London To Paris trip. In terms of planning, we are looking at ways of navigating.

I have a Garmin Edge 200, which is far too basic with its breadcrumb trail, although guess still worth taking for an extra bit of help.

We also own a Satmap Active 10. I have full GB 1:50K mapping, but obviously on the french side, nothing!

Does anybody have any advise on how i could get hold of the french road mapping for it, without having to buy all the specific regions!

Originally we planned to do it without a GPS, but the more I look, the more I believe this may be impossible!

Cheers Guys

(any hints or tips for the ride is also appreciated)

nammynake
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Garmin 200 so quickly. We recently rode from Blackpool to Paris using a pre-loaded route on a 200.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

True, I have found it easy to follow on local roads, and the buzz when going off course is very useful!!
    However my main issue would be the fact that it flicks between screens? So it’s not always on the “Navigation Screen” as such?

Did it manage to direct you reasonably then?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I guess there’s always the trusty Iphone

jota180
    Free Member

I take it the Satmap will work with a gpx file and with the absence of mapping just show a line to follow?

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/london-to-paris-cycle-route?OpenDocument

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I could, but then I may aswell follow the edge 200, a line could be difficult to follow through france at night?

nammynake
    Free Member

Didn’t have any flicking on mine. It stays fixed on whatever page you set it to. The only annoying feature is when you come to a stop and the map zooms out until you start moving again. We rode in darkness a couple of times and the backlit screen worked a treat.

All in all it was excellent. We had iPhone/HTC for when we needed to double check a direction, but 99% was done directly from the 200.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I wonder if turning the Auto Pause would stop the zooming out?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Any Advice to do with the whole trip is appreciated!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

*BUMP*

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Satmap- London to Paris’ is closed to new replies.