Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Satmap 10 advice needed
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I have been given a new one of these and was wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting the mapping i need onto the device or do you have to purchase the preloaded SD cards by region. I have been using a garmin until now with memory map software on my PC, so would the memory map still be of use to me?

neninja
    Free Member

You can only use their maps I’m afraid.

I’ve just kept an eye on ebay for the ones I wanted and also the Satmap website sometimes runs some good reductions (also got one from Sportsdirect as it was less than 1/2 price)

highclimber
    Free Member

OS rules are very strict and unfortunately means you can’t use one set of maps with another technology.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi I use MM to plan routes and upload to satmap as gpx (see satmap site satsync freeware), however you do need the relevant Satmap card (see ebay and check round) as they’re not cheap.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have a look at their service to cut a 1:25k custom map for an area. You specify the centre point for the map and the height/width. When you buy a satmap you often get a voucher for a discount against one.

You can then normally pay a tenner or so more for a toggleable version with 1:50k as well, which means you can zoom in and out smoothly.

If your memory map can import/export gpx files then you can manage your files on the PC and then use SatSync to sync with the Satmap with a USB cable.

jimr80
    Free Member

ok, ebay it is then.
    whats best for off road use ?
    their 50k or 25k maps

neninja
    Free Member

I went for 25k maps for the areas where most of my riding is – Co Durham / N. Yorkshire and 50k for other areas visited less frequently. The 50k is fine 95% of the time.

The biggest benefit of the 25k is the marking of field boundaries which can be very useful.

lucien

1:50k is all I use – I have a 1:25k one for my local area, and yes it is more detailed but this doesn’t really help for riding

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Satmap 10 advice needed’ is closed to new replies.