Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sat nav for bikes on phone
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Had a go at a garmin 705 and wasn’t so impressed. The 800 is a lot of money. Then got to thinking, my mobile phone is way easier to use than any of the garmin interfaces and has gps and the ability to store maps offline. In theory it would be much easier to use than a garmin if I could find the right app.

What I need is an app that downloads the maps so there isn’t loads of data usage as want to use it abroad.

It needs to work as intuitively as a car sat jag. I.e. turn left in 200 yards, continue straight on etc.. with a decent map view

The ability to upload gpx files and follow that route and if I go wrong, not send me off on some crazy calculated route.

I have Android and iPhone. So far found orux android which was horrible to use, osmand for Android which I haven’t tried on the bike but seems a bit complicated and home made, heard of mymaps and cyclemeter for iPhone but a bit dubious if they will work offline.

Anyone got any tips for an offline map, gpx routing, bike sat nav app for Android or iPhone?

GrahamS

Have you tried BikeHub?

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/bike-hub-app-reviews-and-some-answers/

That uses the OpenCycleMap maps and CycleStreets routing. I use it from time to time and it seems pretty good. Can cache maps but still needs some web access to actually plan the route.

For off-road use, where you are navigating by waypoints rather than streets, try MotionX GPS. It can display a nice simple arrow pointing in the direction of your next (pre-programmed) waypoint and it can also cache large areas of map for use offline.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Motion X on iPhone is brilliant or use one of the actual nav apps like Copilot.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I might try that MotionX. Will it be able to use GPX files (i.e. will I finally be able to use the trail guides on STW on my i-phone?)

nickjb
    Free Member

I use Viewranger. Good range of free and paid for maps for off-line use. Does GPX and uploading. The buddy beacon feature is nice, too. I also use mmtracker which reads my old memory map files.

andrewy

+1 for Viewranger. It’s been around for years and the development shows.

ciderman
    Free Member

I have been through a load, and must agree with andrewy, view ranger is excellent. Also try endomondo, I use it for running and cycling. Strava is good fun too.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’ve used viewfinder and I didn’t manage to upload GPX files onto it. Probably a user error on my part, but all leads me to getting a garmin 800…

Just have to wait to see what father xmas brings me.

GrahamS

I might try that MotionX. Will it be able to use GPX files

Yep. Easiest way is to import them via email (i.e. when you open an GPX file attached to an email you are given the option to open it in MotionX GPS). You can email GPX files to gpsimport@motionx.com and they send you back an appropriately formatted email.

Or you can copy and load them via iTunes.
    Connect your phone to iTunes then in iTunes go to the “Apps” tab, go to the “File Sharing” section and you’ll see MotionX GPS there. You can drag and drop GPX files in or out.

transapp
    Free Member

That sounds good (posted purely so i can find this thread again when I’m planning routes!)

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve used viewfinder and I didn’t manage to upload GPX files onto it.

Never had any issues. It’s a bit fussy about routes and tracks, not sure what the difference is in the file but you need to choose the right one. They are great at answering emails if you have any problems

GrahamS

If you need to convert between Routes and Tracks (or just about any other GPS format out there) then the online GPS file converter at GPSies does a fine job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sat nav for bikes on phone’ is closed to new replies.