Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sarn Helen Trail
  • brownpants
    Free Member

How long does it take to do this route? – 270 miles . They list 7 days but is it doable in less without killing ourselves . We are fit (not super) enough for 100km rides etc
    Thanks

sofatester
    Free Member

(270 x 1.62)/100 = 4.374days

Enjoy!

barca
    Free Member

I set off doing it last summer unsupported (tent and stuff in my EBC trailer). I planned four days (mentioned 5 to the family just in case they called out the search teams) but secretly hoped to do it in 3 and half long days. I ditched it part way through the second night as I was completely soaked from setting off the day before up to that point. I’m going back this year and I’ll do it or die this time. No bailouts aloud. Again, I’m hoping to have it done in less than 4 days if poss. but I’ve booked 5 days just in case.

brownpants
    Free Member

Cheers Barca and sofa- maybe 5 days is perfect then as your calc suggests.

Certainly couldn’t do it in 3 – Good luck Barca !let me know how it goes

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s hilly, and long. You tell us mate.

sharki
    Free Member

7? 5? 3?, Hmmmmmmm, i know something you don’t know….la la la la

brownpants
    Free Member

Go on then Sharki- end the suspense please—– tum tittly tum

sharki
    Free Member

I can’t say owt,

I hear 7 days is the norm and 5 is quite realistic if you’ve planned well, got in some training for it and have good endurance, fitness, and are not all there in the head.

4 or even 3 days is for super humans…alot of it is just landrover tracks with some road work so it’s not all off road and fun, but the fun can be had linking it through some of the trail centres as you go.

barca
    Free Member

I was discussing this with a guy last year and he said 4 days was tough but doable. I was hoping to do an extra couple of hours per day to squeeze it in at four days. If it takes five, I’m on a very tight schedule to get home on the trains again.
    They said the English off road coast to coast couldn’t be done in under 20 non stop hours though. So much for that. It’s all a challenge waiting to be taken on.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d be much better off tbh planning your own North-South Wales route. It’d be a crying shame to miss out on some great riding just to stick to a road built to be as easy as possible for soldiers to march on.

sofatester
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of things being made “easy” for soldiers! 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

270 miles… SDW both ways can be done in under a day? so should be possible to cut the sarn helen to two days.

brownpants
    Free Member

Mrmo- you mad or something ? 😉 I want to enjoy it a bit too and I’ll probably look at Molgrips suggestion too as I enjoy the feeling of knowing you’ve done your own prep – no one esle to blame then ; not even a book .

Can St Bees to Robin Hood Bay really be done in 20 hours ?? 210 miles with a lot of climbing and hike a bike bits . I’m doing that over May Bank hol weekend and have allowed 4 days – maybe that’s too much is it

barca
    Free Member

St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay was done in 18 hours by two guys featured in Issue 2 of Singletrack (and that included an injury stop). Depressing in’it? 🙂

barca
    Free Member

“7? 5? 3?, Hmmmmmmm, i know something you don’t know….la la la la”
    Wales ends to end has just been done in 22 hours. WHOOPS 🙂

Ambrose

Dave Buchanan- TOP man.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sarn Helen Trail’ is closed to new replies.