Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saris Bones Solo owners. I have some questions.
  • twoniner
    Free Member

My other half has just bought a Vauxhall Adam and wants to buy a Saris Bones Solo to haul the bike around.

Having looked at the Solo it looks like the bike just hangs there and if you secure the bike up to the rack it looks like the pedal could foul the car.

The other thing is the fixing points where the bike hangs from, She has the Whyte T-129, will she be able to get the bike on the rack looking at the shock position?

I’d appreciate any pointers from owners please.

Cheers. 😀

twoniner
    Free Member

Anyone? 🙄

scotroutes

Not a Bones owner, but I’ve sold some….

You’ll almost always get a bike to sit on it, though the “angle of dangle” may mean that the front wheel is perilously close to the road. On some vehicle this could mean the wheel hitting the ground on bumps. You’re right to point out that small full-sus frames are the worst offenders. In this case, I think you may find there’s not a long enough run of uninterrupted top tube for both of the Bones straps to fit.

You can buy an adapter that fits between seatpost and bars to create a virtual top tube. That will make the bike more level and avoids having any weight resting on the shock.

My advice would be to take the car and bike to a shop where you can try it all out.

sandwicheater

Have no idea but you should sort those weeds out and your tyre logo needs aligning.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I have one which i use to hang my blur from a vauxhall corsa at comedic angles. It can be a bit fiddly and you have to be aware of the position of the pedals but I not had any disasters so far

johnj2000
    Free Member

I have a saris bones 3 which is slightly different but the only challenge I have is with the full suss shock getting in the way when I try and move it down the arms to position 1. I also have a similar problem with my daughters bike as the frame gap is small in the same way as the full suss. I have just taken a look at the solo and the images seem to indicate that the obstructions on the arms of the bones 3 are not present, the 3 has an attachment on the underside of each arm to hold the bike steady and it looks like the solo doesn’t so you should be ok with the Whyte.

On the plus side they are made really well and fix solidly to the car.

Sorry for the ramble hope some of it is of use.

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve got a saris solo sat in the garage that I’ve tried to use with 3 different bikes and 3 different cars, none of the outcomes would I have been happy to try travelling more than a mile at >30mph…
    I would suggest looking elsewhere!

ton

I have a bones solo.
    my xl surly sits perfectly on it.
    2 straps on the crossbar, and 1 on the seat tube.

twoniner
    Free Member

Have no idea but you should sort those weeds out and your tyre logo needs aligning.

The weeds are done. I know, attention to detail when taking photos 😀

Not bothered about the Logo alignment, it’s her bike 😆

Cheers for the replies all. I have a Thule roof rack carrier in the shed, all she needs is a roofrack but she refuses to carry them on the roof.

Might take the bike and car for a try at a bike shop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones Solo owners. I have some questions.’ is closed to new replies.