Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saris Bones 3 Bike Rack – Any good for MTBs
  • jfagone
    Free Member

Hey,

Im looking toget a bike rack for a Renault clio, and the saris bones comes up a lot.

Has anyone got one?

If so, do you recommend it?

Is it any good for Mountain bikes?

Cheers
    Jake

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I used to use one (think I’ve still got it in the garage somewhere) and it was OK for MTBs, but unless you have really old ‘retro’ MTBs you’ll need to get some False Crossbars

nickc

Yeah fine for regular shaped bikes, bit tricky on some of the more fancy FS designs out there. Plus the buckles do tend to mark your paint work if that bothers you

larrydavid
    Free Member

^? I put my MTB on mine fine?

Happy with mine, although the feet scuffed the car’s paint lacquer a little bit.

br
    Free Member

Yeah fine for regular shaped bikes, bit tricky on some of the more fancy FS designs out there

This.

They’re quite adjustable too, just make sure you tape/cleartape your car bodywork if you care about it.

jfagone
    Free Member

Cool, cheers Guys.

I’m not too fussed, but technically it’s my girlfriends Car (living in London doesn’t warrant 2 cars, if 1 at all!) So I probably should be worried about the paint work.

The trouble is it would be a combination of hardtail mountain bikes, and new full suspension mountain bikes – might get a bit tricky.

The other option is Roof Bars

Bit more expensive – worth it?

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I’ve had the 3 bike saris for a few years. Agree with all the comments above about bike shape and marking the paint. It’s also a lot if faff to adjust and attach. Useful if you have more than one car and need to be able to swap the rack between your cars though. Recently got some roof bars on my wife’s car and haven’t looked back. Took a bit of effort to fit initially but once they are on you just leave in place. Minimal faff each time you use then. I’d go roof bars if you just have the one car – as long as your girlfriend doesn’t mind then being on the car all the time.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If it’s for a Clio I would check the rear hatch because some of them don’t have metal around the edge of the glass bit which means that a strap on rack will mount directly onto the rear windscreen which isn’t designed to take a rack + bikes .

benp1

Get one of the crossbar things

I put my wife’s retro step through bike on a saris bones with one

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones 3 Bike Rack – Any good for MTBs’ is closed to new replies.