Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Santa Cruz Tallboy – Carbon, Alli, LT or not?
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

I have finally decided to purchase a Tallboy.
    I’m still not sure of a few things, so opinions welcome.

I am fairly fit, but a mediocre rider at best. I will have a go at most things and the bike needs to be a good ‘all rounder’ as it will be used in The Peak District, for cross country, bridleways etc. on rides that usually are between 2 and 3 hours.

Would you go for alli or carbon?
    Standard tallboy or LT?

If anybody has one they want to sell please let me know 🙂
    Regards

Andy

andyxxx
    Free Member

I thought there would be loads of Tallboy riders on here!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Definitely wouldn’t go for the LT for that riding. I’ve been riding a non-LT Tallboy for the last 18 months or so around the Peaks and it is a superb bit of kit. Very very capable.

Carbon versus aluminium is up to you and your wallet I reckon. The carbon is lighter, stiffer and more flash and plenty tough enough but is a chunk more cash

gringojimi
    Free Member

I use a non LT Tallboy C for XC, endurance races and big rides out in the Yorkshire Moors.
    Has all the travel I need with 120mm forks, actually thinking of dropping them down to 100mm.

Climbs very well and soaks up the bumps. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned and really flatters a scruffy old rider like myself!

If you like to keep your wheels on the ground, rather than fly through the air, the standard Tallboy is more than capable.

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve tested the TallBoy LTc (at Cannock a couple of weeks ago) and a TallBoy (at Roman Lakes on Sunday).

There are a whole load of other variables but I much preferred the ‘normal’ TallBoy to the LTc.

Unless you really need the extra travel I would go with the shorter one. In fact I found the same with the Scott – I preferred the Spark to the Genius. This is not usual for me – with 26ers I normally run as much travel as I can get away with (150mm on my HT and 160mm on my FS).

Other bikes I tested for info, if interested:
    ~ Whyte T-129s: really liked it, as good as the TallBoy – won’t be any left to buy when I get my bonus in April 😥
    ~ Cube Stereo 140: felt quite odd/short to ride but a lot of fun – I’m very keen to take the AMS 120 for a spin

timdb
    Free Member

Can’t add much to this really, except to say I ride a standard Tallboy C and have not yet come across anything where I’ve found it lacking in travel.
    Oh, and while the bare carbon looks great in the shop I find it does scuff relatively easily – if that is important to you, it might be better to get a painted one! 🙂

fathomer

If you’re not in any rush to buy, 18bikes have a Santa Cruz demo weekend 26/27 April (you might need to check dates), so you may be able to ride both on some local terrain.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments.
    I was about to purchase the standard tallboy but raised the question about LT v standard because a SC salesman reckoned that with my description of my usage the LT would be better suited to my riding (I do not need the extra travel, but he said the LT was the better all rounder of the two).
    From the comments on here, it would seem the standard Tallboy would be better for me.
    Higgo – I very nearly bought a T129S and know where there are two large ones – you could reserve one till April.
    Fathomer – I hope to purchase one in the next few days but will bear that in mind.
    Anybody else with any input – please feel free!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have an alu LT. It is my first full susser and I absolutely love it. My riding sounds pretty similar to yours with the odd trip to the Alps, Lakes, Scotland thrown in for good measure. The only rides I have been underwhelmed on are flat xc stuff where my hardtail is without doubt better (except when it snowed), or should I say more fun. Anything with a bit of gradient (long or short) and the LT is brilliant. Descends with confidence and climbs superbly.

Before buying I tested the non LT and I loved that too. It is without doubt the fastest bike I have ridden and is extremely capable, even leaving the ground was no problem on it, it is very stable. I just wanted something a touch more relaxed. However for one bike to do it all it has to be pretty good option.

Paceman
    Free Member

I ride a Tallboy with 120mm up front. It’s more than handled everything i’ve thrown at it from local woodland singletrack to a week in Snowdonia. You won’t be disappointed 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Tallboy – Carbon, Alli, LT or not?’ is closed to new replies.