Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Santa Cruz Superlight Qs…
  • robob
    Free Member

does anyone know if there were any changes between the '08 and '09 models?

also has anyone got any thoughts on whether the upgrade to RP23 is worth it and why? from the bits i've read once the shock is set up correctly then the extra RP23 gubbins aren't really required.

thanks!

funkynick

A new bike? Do you have permission?

😉

shortcut

I don't believe there were any changes between the 08 and 09 aside for colour.

I am running the basic shock and having no issues and no regrets on not spending the extra!

benman
    Free Member

I've just built up a new Superlight and went for the standard Float R shock after having a chat with the guys at Stif. The pedal bob is negligable and I wanted the lighter / less faff option of the Float R. And the fact that it saves you £100 to put towards other kit is nice ;o)

scruff
    Free Member

Dunno about none RP23 but SC lacquer is pants, I would say go for anodised.

shortcut

Standard paint on mine and it is fine!

GeForceJunky

I'd spend the money you save on getting it Pushed.

robob
    Free Member

thanks chaps! exactly what i wanted to hear 😉

i've also heard that the ano was a little delicate so i guess it's horses for courses.

and nick… maybe! lets just say its work in progress!

Gilles

Geforce, is it really worth to Pushed it? I'm not convinced myself for the level of riding I'm doing, mainly xc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've used 5th Element coil, pushed and std floats on my 03 Hecklers (similar pivot point).

I don't like the "play" in the pushed shock and don't feel the need for a platform, but I'm a reasonably smooth pedaller and am not bothered about a 1% here or there of efficiency.

scruff
    Free Member

Well maybe its just the black paint. Ive had two hecklers with black gloss paint and they quickly ended up mottled matt black.

brassneck

Anno is also a bit delicate for an mtb really, though mines 2001 and looking 'well used'. I quite like the paint flaked off look, but the finish going dull isn't as nice.

Got a Float RC on it, and I can't think of single reason to pay more, or pay for any upgrades.. save it for service of forks/shock later on that seems more important.

fozzybear
    Free Member

a small mod on the swingarm to stop the chain catching if you had a 36t ring thats the only change i was aware of.

benman
    Free Member

I'm running a 36t middle on my 09 frame, so I'm glad they made that change!

GeForceJunky

I don't know whether its worth Pushing an air shock, as I've yet to try it. The last shock I had done was a coil 5th and it felt amazing afterwards. My Superlight has a rp23, which to be fair does ride amazingly well over bumps for a stock shock on a singlepivot frame. Mine is also anodised which I reckon is better. I crashed mine a couple of months ago and dented the swingarm, which just lightly scratched the surface rather than chipping big chunks of paint off. Anodising is also lighter 🙂 I'd get a anodised one with a Float R, then Push it in a years time when its due a service.

P.S. All threads are better with pictures …

fozzybear
    Free Member

i had to push my heckler shock as i was blowing though the travel.. it helped no end..

robob
    Free Member

ooh nice GFJ! anymore pics anyone?

be nice to see some painted finishes as it looks like most people aren't as tight as me and go for ano! 🙂

shortcut

Sorry, no way of posting pics from here. Mine is a lime green one and looks pretty good actually. I have black 100mm rebas on there which is sufficient and gives a comfy position.

benman
    Free Member

Bit of a lo-res shot, but heres my painted one…

Driller
    Free Member

I'm surprised at people saying the anodized finish is delicate. I've got an eight year-old Superlight and a twelve month old Heckler, both anodized, and they both still look like new. I'm not saying that the powdercoat option is delicate, but the anodized frames look new for ever in my experience.

I think the tolerances around the pivot joints etc are better on the anodized frames too (I had a painted Heckler before the anodized one, until it was stolen).

I also think the RP23 is easily worth the upgrade, especially on a 'simple' single pivot bike. They really work, and I can only imagine the small amount of weight you would save going for a basic Float shock. Maybe the same you save by going for anodized over painted. With the pro-pedal on the bike sits up a bit for climbing, effectively eliminates bob and gives a taughter back end. With it switched off the bike sits into its travel a little more, giving a slightly slacker head angle and a much more plush action. Maybe these traits suit the Heckler better than a superlight, it probably depends on how you ride.

I like set-and-forget suspension, but I do like the RP23, a lot.

If you want to save money don't buy a SantaCruz.

xcstu
    Free Member

I love the idea of the RP23 on my superlight… have the option by the flick of the switch and it locks pretty the rear end up on flat fast ground 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Superlight Qs…’ is closed to new replies.