Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Santa Cruz Superlight 2011 Build
  • zerolight
    Free Member

So my 2011 frame arrived late this afternoon – I realise the only difference between this and last years model is, woo, 2011 decals, but still – it's very nice. I get the feeling the paint will chip if you look at it the wrong way! This is my first build. I let Stif fit the BB and Headset Cups. Sadly I made an arse of removing the crown race doodah ring. Chipped the paint and a little bit of the metal on the fork uppers!

Spec will be:

Superlight – Large – RP23
    REBA SL 100mm (2008)
    FSA XC300 Wheels
    Maxxis Ignitor Tyres
    Race Face Evolve XC Chainset
    Race Face Deus XC Stem
    Race Face Evolve XC Seat Post
    Hope Steel BB
    Hope Headset
    Shimano XT Mechs, Cassette, Shifters, Chain (2008 9 speed)
    Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes (2008)
    Gusset Flat Pedals
    Easton EA70 Monkey Bars (2008)
    ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

Think that's about it. Fitted the cranks, wheels, seat post, and a temporary fitting of the stem & forks (to measure how much, 20mm it turns out) I need to have cut off the steerer. And to get an idea what it looks like.

Should I ask the shop to leave the star nut in there when I get it cut down, or use the Hope Head Doctor instead? I'm hoping the local shop in Glasgow will do this while I wait tomorrow. Eeek.

Apologies for the crap photos – iPhone 4 used instead of my SLR. Doh!

nickc

flat pedals on a race-bike = wrong.

get LBS to fit new star nut.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why did you remove the crown race?

ivantate
    Free Member

Looks nice, might have to get one of these one day.

zerolight
    Free Member

Al, I sold the old frame with it's FSA headset. Figured the Hope headset would need a different ring. It certainly looks different.

I know flatties aren't really correct, but I've never ridden SPDs before – I have a set but haven't had spare cash for the shoes. Besides, I see it as a short travel trail bike – I won't be racing. These are supposed to be great on single track. Am i alone in using flatties? The bike will get equal time off road as it will park time with my 5yo. Flatties seem ideal for that really.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Good frames they are.Had a 2008 one.They are selling them at a good price now those NEW models have come out.Looks good in red like the decals better than black i think.Have fun.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks ace, should be proper quick too

zerolight
    Free Member

Almost done. I had a go at the gear cables and then realised my tools weren't up to the job. So it's at the local bike shop for the gear cables and the chain. Scored on the frame – ordered a Float R and got an RP23. Scored on the bars – paid for 2008 EA70s and got 2010s. 😀

m0nster2
    Free Member

🙁
    Had a demo bike this weekend and loved it.

Had every intention of stumping up for a new 2011 complete build….
    Unfortunately the need for another car was greater and the SL is gonna have to wait.
    Enjoy!

zerolight
    Free Member

Cheers. I can't wait to ride it. Sadly, it's at the shop now til Saturday, as they are quite busy.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Looks like they done away with the gussets on the top/down/headtube junction for 2011 then?

Great bikes, oh, and I run mine with flatties 8)

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Great bikes superlights, Very fast trail/XC bike.

scotia
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    flat pedals on a race-bike = wrong.

STW opinions de merde = wrong..jees its his bike.

looks nice btw!

tthew

Much as I love my new Commencal, I was a bit gutted when they reduced the price of that Superlight frame. Looks lovely in that red and black.

DarrenH

Good work zerolight, looks smart!
    Flat pedals all the way!

xcstu
    Free Member

Welcome to the club 🙂

I got mine when the newer shape come out.. one of the best bike I have ridden! Just finished a week in the alps on it too 🙂

zerolight
    Free Member

Is the lack of gusseting anything to worry about?

stooo
    Free Member

Looks lovely… as do the others in this thread.

Like the look of the new decals.
    Wouldn't worry about the gusset changes… SC are known for making tough frames, doubt they'd do it if it was gonna be weakened significantly. Plus, the new frame regulations that they have to pass, the reason why most frames are going all swoopy hydroformy, means it's gotta withstand a significant frontal impact.

In short – i'll be fine.

I just picked up a second hand 2007 frame (new shape). It's in the shop for a pearl white respray just now, should be built up for end of next week 🙂

Let us know how she rides!

kiwijohn

That is a very bright frame. I'm looking at a new Heckler if I can't get my Iron Horse fixed.
    & those seat posts creak like a b'stard.

zerolight
    Free Member

So after worrying about the gusset changes all night, thinking – this is why they've dropped the price – they've built a Superlight clone with less features for less money. Then I got up and checked out the entire 2011 range and saw that pretty much all but the DH bikes have lost the gussets too, so I've probably been worrying about nothing but advances in tube design.

The paint on the rear triangle looks a little bit streaky though. Still at the bike shop, so I can't verify if that's a trick of the camera or bad paint. And I've still not had a chance to ride it. Was gonna wheel around chainless for 5 mins yesterday before dropping at the shop, but was late for getting the 5yo from school! Doh!

xcstu
    Free Member

To me from your pics the rear looks slightly different too and the bearings area too… Interesting to see a new one in the flesh compared to mine!

james
    Free Member

"realised my tools weren't up to the job"
    They do look a bit plastic to be fair ..

"paid for 2008 EA70s and got 2010s"
    They look like 2008 graphics, at least my '08 ones are like that (I thought new ones had some yellow on). Though I'm not sure they've actually changed anything other than graphics in that time?

Also, how do you get the ODI end caps into the lockrings? I've never got mine to fit?

Have you had to change the clamp mounting on the shifters to make them work that side of the nicely spaced in brake levers?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about the gusseting, as mentioned I'm sure SC have done lots of testing, just observing that it's a bit different from my 2009. Wish I could get out on mine now, it's a lovely day here in the south and I'm stuck at work! 😐

Clembo
    Free Member

I've hankered after a Superlight for years and now the price has come down, its even more tempting. Post xmas, I may raid the piggy bank.

Nice red by the way!

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

zerolight
    Free Member

Could be 2008 after all then. The site had totally different graphics for the 08s, looked well dated, and those graphics for the 10s. Maybe they've been that way since 08 and the site was showing pre-08 graphics. Either way, I'm happy as they look more upto date than I expected. 😀

Nice bikes (and single track) in the other folks photos!

For the ODI caps, I pressed them into the rings before I fitted the grips to the bars. I seem to remember having to press em pretty hard – I put them face down on a table and pushed the grip onto them.

Standard XT and Hayes clamps. I just removed the shifter indicators with blanks (came with the shifters and the original bike). I find them so much more comfortable like that, and as you say – nicely spaced for 1 finger braking.

zerolight
    Free Member

All done. Only managed a quick test ride in the pouring rain outside the shop, but it felt great. They've made the front mech cable hose a little on the long side, but I'll get that shortened later. Other than that, very happy. Whilst it was there, I got them to pull out the spacer in my Reba's, increasing the travel to 115mm. I'm surprised how much longer that 15mm makes the shocks look.

DT78
    Free Member

Nice bike. Tempted…

Anyone ridden both a superlight and a anthem? How do they compare?

KT1973
    Free Member

I got them to pull out the spacer in my Reba's, increasing the travel to 115mm

Good move- you'll notice the difference. Lovely bike BTW. Enjoy.

bakey

Loving mine

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks guys, very pleased with it. And the large, with that slightly laid back seat post is a perfect fit for my 6 foot and a bit height. Feels really comfy and the suspension is so plush – the old Gary Fisher Sugar 2 I had a few years ago was nothing like this. I love it. The paint job is radioactive – silly bright – but I kinda like it. Both my kids are well pleased as they both have red Islabikes. 5yo and 2yo are easily pleased though. 😀

No idea how it compares to an Anthem X, though that was the other frame on my short list. I nearly bought an X2 last year, but my budget couldn't quite reach it so I got the 2008 Kula Deluxe hard tail instead – which was the donor for this bike. I guess I've been a SC fanboy for too long not to own one!

zerolight
    Free Member

Nice Bakey. Looks great in white. I'd have loved it in the Green, Baby Blue, or White – but this year it's either Red or Black.

stooo
    Free Member

Lots of nice looking SLs here…

Dave Vanderspek – where's that singletrack? Looks special!

My SL frame went to the paint shop today… was gonna go white, but in the end decided on Mint green with a metallic sparkle… too many white bikes about just now, though they do look nice.

Zerolight, glad you're liking it. Be good to hear reports once you've ridden it in anger.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Superlight 2011 Build’ is closed to new replies.