• This topic has 60 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad – How good?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m weighing up my options for a new enduro race machine but I cannot seem to look away from the Newmad despite the stupendous price tag. I know it won’t be by far and away the best bike but what are owners general opinions on them having owned them for a while. I tried to demo one at the back end of last year and was assured I should try the Medium at 6ft despite my fears, needless to say it was money wasted.

andysredmini
    Free Member

It better be the best seeing as I just ordered one! I couldn’t test ride one for love nor money so have ordered one blind. I was advised to go for a large and I’m 5’11. I’m working on the basis that I loved my mates 26″ mk2 and the new ones meant to be better. I also have a large chameleon for size comparison which is perfect. Fingers crossed as I hated almost every minute I spent test riding a carbon bronson.

Rosss
    Free Member

I test rode a bronson on the same day and it felt a little harsh in comparison, a different beast to the nomad. One thing I can say for sure the quality of the Nomad was second to none, paint in particular.

steveh

They come up small, I’m 5’8 and would want a large so try and at least get a sit on a large and xl and see how they feel. Tested a bronson about the same time and for me the bronson is a bit lost, you either want a solo or a nomad.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I know someone who got one having had a few santa cruz’s and he absolutely loves it. I’ve test ridden it when he wanted to compare it to my bronson and it did feel fantastic. If I could justify needing the longer travel I’d have one in a heartbeat but Im biased in my love of santa cruz bikes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s a pretty good bike. It was almost the perfect bike for me.

My main issue was despite the “we’ve made it much bigger” chatter, it’s gone from being tiny, to about normal, but still short compared to the more adventurous brands. I had a large, when it first came out, and at just over 6ft, it wasn’t big enough.

The suspension was a real pain in the arse to set up, mostly due to the funky leverage ratio. I never tried it, but I expect it would be awesome with a good coil shock. I was never able to get it feeling how I would expect it to.

Lastly , the lower VPP link is an absolute haven for collecting mud.

I should have bought an XL, and had a coil on it. But then it becomes even more of a one trick pony…

My wife benefitted from my mistake though, and she thinks it’s great!

skiboy
    Free Member

I’m out on mine for its third outing in the morning.
    I built it over 5 months and it cost 6.2k !!
    It’s got XX1, pikes, monarch debonair, XTR trail and Crossmax Enduros.

Things I’ve found so far:
    It feels a lot better than my heckler.
    It goes uphill like my heckler.
    It feels like it can attack everything.
    The wheels feel better than a 26 but not bigger.
    The bottom bracket is really low.
    I’ve had to change my style to consider pedal striking everything in sight.
    It seems to ride very deep into the rear shock(trying 210 in it tomoz).
    Everyone wants to touch it.
    One guy told me he would trade his girlfriend for it, she was there and confirmed this.If my mates weren’t there I’d have gone for the swap.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I had one a couple of years ago, 6′ 3″ on an XL.

I thought this too:

I was never able to get it feeling how I would expect it to

I tried those nylon spacer things in the air can, but still….

If it was carbon, 142 x 12mm back end, 650b & a coil sprung, I might have kept it.

Rosss
    Free Member

Interestign reading, thank guys
    Hob Nob can I ask why you considered it to be a one trick pony? Isn’t it much of a climber?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You made reference to it in your first post, it’s a race bike, I could just about get away with it for the (majority) other riding I do, but putting a coil shock on it, just pushes it even further away from that every day usability.

I do often wonder if a 140mm bike with the same sort of geometry would be quicker 99% of the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

6k for a bike that climbs like a single pivot sounds a bit odd tbh.

timpol
    Free Member

Had mine since last summer and absolutely love it, climbs well enough for me but descends and jumps amazingly, very happy with it.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m looking to hopefully compliment it with a short travel full suss or hardtail later on for trail duties keeping this for dh the occasional trail centre and ‘enduro’ racing.

I’m 6ft, maybe a tad under so looks like a large will suit.

timpol
    Free Member

I’m the same height and a large is perfect, the vivid is a very good option in my view.

chiefgrooveguru

I do often wonder if a 140mm bike with the same sort of geometry would be quicker 99% of the time.

I think it depends on the trails – if you’re thundering through the rough and trying to find maximum grip through long turns and are mostly gravity driven then more travel is better. If you’re pumping, popping and pedalling more then less is better.

Riding a bike with 140mm out back but a 160mm fork I’ve never had a moment when it feels like the rear can’t keep up with the front – so I do wonder how beneficial another 20-25mm of rear travel would be?

The VPP leverage rate is a bit strange with that stiffness early in the stroke, right when an air shock is also too stiff – all the common rotating short-link 4-bar variants just ramp up as they get deeper into the travel, which does leave me puzzled as to the point of the patented VPP approach…

kimbers

Gracia chose his dvo’d Bronson over Nomad at ews rotura this weekend,
    That means nothing I know
    The review in dirt said it’d be better with a 36 than a pike

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Go and try a Yeti SB5C or SB6C first, they are as good as everyone says.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Who cares if any bikes quicker 99% of the time. I just pick whichever bike is more fun. I have a giant anthem that is probably quicker for most stuff I do but I never ride it because it’s mind numbing my boring and absolutely no fun. Unless people are seriously racing I don’t know why they care so much.
    Before ordering my nomad a few people said that I’ll be over biked etc. I came to the conclusion that I don’t care as long as I enjoy it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I never ride it because it’s mind numbing my boring and absolutely no fun.

Sounds like you’re doing it wrong. Perhpas it’s time to take up golf again?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Nope I’m not doing it wrong. By choice I either pick my chameleon, trance, stiffee, badboy, bmx ot hopefully when I get it the nomad. I never pick the anthem for anything other than canal towpath commutes. It literally bores the life out of me.

mtbel
    Free Member

Why would anyone have a chameleon and a Stiffee?

tomhoward

Had mine nearly a year now and I love it. I’m 6’1″ and ride a large (whoever told you, op, to try a medium is a brain dead halfwit) with a 50mm stem and the vivid air rear shock, so it’s more of a gravity based bike rather than an uphill and down dale kind of a thing. Not to say it won’t climb, just that it’s something it does rather than something it excels at. Descending? It’d say you’d have to have some enormous cojones to find it out of its depth, save for wc dh runs

I’d also echo comments about the low BB. It’s. Never been *that* much of an issue for me but crank boots and a skid plate are your friend!

Out of interest op, what do you think the best of the best would be? As an endure race bike, I’m not sure I could think of anything current that’s markedly better for the job at hand?

Why would anyone have a chameleon and a Stiffee?

Well, they are lovely looking things….

jmatlock
    Free Member

Tom raises a good question. Is it the best Enduro race bike out there?

Looking at race wins, I would suggest the newest iteration of the Specialized Enduro has a fairly strong pedigee. As does the Cannondale Jekyll. Canyon Strive an Trek Remedy also seem popular.

Personally for Nomad money I would have an Sworks Enduro 29r but I would suggest you won’t gondar wrong with a Nomad, it’s an amazing bike.

rickmeister

I’m a bit of a brand whore, so have you looked at the HD3 from ibis ?

stewartc
    Free Member

Is it the best Enduro race bike out there?

Impossible to tell unless all the top riders take turns on other makes, otherwise the current best is the SB6c…shirley?

jmatlock
    Free Member

The HD3 Mojo that Anne-Caroline was riding this weekend at the Rotarua EWS was gorgeous.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t think he wants a bike to win the fastest to crack/snap/fall apart contest.

As for what’s the best/fastest race bike, well one man’s meat is another man’s poison – so it’s hard to make comparison in reality.

One other small detail is the Nomad is very well put together – the pivot hardware etc, is great – sensibly placed, easy to work with.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be looking at the Canyon Strive or Giant Reign if I wanted a 650b enduro race bike.

Or maybe the Bird Aeris if it’s not too heavy (I’ve no idea).

I’d also consider whether I was likely to start wanting a B-plus bike shortly after I’d spunked my wad on a Nomad or whatever.

I’ve done the “buy my perfect bike” thing before so I know that my “needs” would change soon enough.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Nomad – How good?

Well all I know if that the top Enduro riders don’t have one.

honourablegeorge

Jonathan Tompkins – Member

Everyone says they fall apart. Pinkbike’s review frame broke, and Bike magazine in the Us broke two test frames.

Yeti went for the old “pre production” excuse.

honourablegeorge

jmatlock – Member
    The HD3 Mojo that Anne-Caroline was riding this weekend at the Rotarua EWS was gorgeous.

You think? I think the lines of the new Mojo are awful, it’s a really ugly frame, lines and curves all over the shop with no coherence

jmatlock
    Free Member

Her one from the EWS was green with yellow mavic wheels and BOS forks. It looked like a John Deere tractor. It was bad ass.

coogan
    Free Member

Sling a leg over a Pivot Mach 6 too. Awesome bike.

kimbers

No mention of a Capra yet ?

Could buy a top spec Capra and Tues for the price of nomad

Jus sayin……

jim25

I demod lots of bikes last year, nomad, alpine, whyte g150, Scott genius, Jekyll, and sb6c.
    All rode very well and it was down to the nomad and the yeti really.
    I bought the yeti, it ticked all the boxes I was looking for. Light, climbs well, fun to ride and mentally fast went pointed down!

Reading above, I can’t belive someone is thinking of dropping that sort of money onto a bike they’ve never riden!!

Rosss
    Free Member

Yeti is another option as is the Capra, My brother rides a capra so I’m waiting to get some decent miles on it to see if the large is big enough

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The VPP leverage rate is a bit strange with that stiffness early in the stroke, right when an air shock is also too stiff – all the common rotating short-link 4-bar variants just ramp up as they get deeper into the travel, which does leave me puzzled as to the point of the patented VPP approach…

The bit that matter is the sag point, that’s where the Nomad is at it’s most supple.

The regressive-progressive leverage ratio just means that it feels a little bit less plush to potential buyers in the showroom.

From what Ive gathered as well, Santa Cruz have made the negative spring on the supplied Monarch/Vivid even stronger than the standard Debonair model to compensate.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No mention of a Capra yet ?

Could buy a top spec Capra and Tues for the price of nomad

Jus sayin……

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=161580&pagenum=1

Enjoy the read, lots of lovely cracked bikes.

andylc
    Free Member

I friggin love my new Norco Range Carbon 7.1. Got a really good deal on it which made it very similar cost to a Capra but with slightly better spec + no long wait and interest free credit! I don’t really care what wins Enduro races but I can say it feels better uphill than my old XC bike and bloody amazing downhill.

kimbers

Yeah but while your Capra’s getting warrantied you could be doing uplifts on the Tues…

And in 20 pages of the link tom there 2 pics of cracking, and 4 or 5 mention of cracking around the since redesigned dropoutut/hanger, kinda like those Santa Cruz pivots and BBS that used to come unbonded….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad – How good?’ is closed to new replies.