Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Santa Cruz Grease Gun Help
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just came to grease the bearings on the SC and having a tough time with the grease gun

basically when its attached to the zerk/nipple on the vpp link the grease is just squirting out of the tool, not into the zerk/nipple…

I only did it without the end knurled piece undone (not touched) and stuck it on, is it imperitive this knurled piece is slackened off first (it wouldn’t budge)? I just assumed it was to make it easier to remove, or does slackening it off first, attaching it, screwing back up lock it in place or similar?

lowey

For such an expensive frame, the grease gun they supply is utter PANTS. First time I used it it got stuck on the zerk. Could not get it to budge at all.

I gave up and bought one of these.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like it’s on properly or the bearing in the grease nipple is stuck/blocked.
    Make sure the nipple is clean & clear, then push the gun on harder

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the zirk is clear and debris free, plus I put a thin pin in it and it opens up fine, will give it another good clean though first

lowey – what grease do you use in that gun then?? does it work straight away?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You dont undo anything on the grease gun or nipples. Just snap on and pump away until clean greese comes out somewhere. Mine works fine.
    +1 what goldenwonder says

fathomer

I watched this then gave it ago, seemed to work.

[video]https://vimeo.com/75342343[/video]

Edit, apparently I can’t work out how to embed Vimeo clips, it’s here anyway!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys

the video suggests opening up the ‘knurled end’, so not just a case of bunging it on according to that

ill give it another clean out and double check the ball bearing again

I did get a little grease come out of one side of the bearings, but that was it? by which time the zirk/nipple was covered in grease (wasted loads!)

jamcorse

I had the same problem, couldn’t get joy out of the SC grease gun. Bought one of these, had to ‘prime’ it with oil, now fill it with thin grease and it does a top job with little mess:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121515901646

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Grease Gun Help’ is closed to new replies.