• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alric.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Santa Cruz grease discontinued – original gun, any recommendations?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Need to regrease the lower VPP links, couldn’t find the grease on sale, emailed jungle

I am sorry but the Santa Cruz grease is not available on its own ( without the gun) but any quality grease is all you need. I think finish line do a tube that fits.

Hope this helps”

I’m after a tube of this, or a tube of grease that has same thread fitting… any ideas?

Ps. I also have the Hilka grease gun which takes cartridges but last time I used it blew the seals out of bearings, so would prefer to stick to the lower pressure SC gun.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s just rebadged super lube.

Same as the stuff I US on Turner bushes so I know it fits the grease gun.

Other option is the full dulco gun and fit that nozzle and grease of your choice (maxims or silkolene if it sees a lot if wet use).

deadkenny
    Free Member

The Hilka is the original SC grease gun or very similar to the old one shipped with Nomad Mk2 http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/sc-grease-gun-cartridges-other-options-927115.html#post11437565

The newer one looked cheap and a faff to me.

Anyway the older SC one I used to moan about but for some reason it’s working quite well now. Never blown out seals with it. With that (and Hilka I’d assume) you can just vacuum fill from a tub of grease. I got a tub of marine grease and just fill the gun with empty old cartridge still inside. Shove one end into the grease, pull up handle, repeat couple more times. Job done.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

Tried the hilka several times and always gives blown seals and VPP strip down, so quite keen to get the newer rubbish screw in grease tube one going again which works great but does require squeezing the grease tube when pressing the lever.

I’ve just found this and wonder if its the one Jungle refer to, looks the same size tube as SC, and reviews say thread fits most grease guns

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-ceramic-grease-60gtube/

Amazes me SC have stopped supplying it with the VPP zerk ports on all their new bike range, and sales booming 🙁

daern
    Free Member

Use Lucas Red Tacky marine grease and the Hilka gun – works ok for me.

Not sure how you can blow seals with this as the lower link seals are open anyway and designed to allow grease through them. You do need to be a little careful not to apply too much pressure, bit otherwise it’s fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mobil xhp222 is about the best bearing grease around.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Lubricants/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Multi-Purpose/B000XBH9HI

Very good grease, it’s been lashed into the wife’s 5010 and all our Chris King bearings with no issue at all (the bottom brackets are still as good as new with a regular flush of superlube).

The tube will also screw straight into that little grease gun from Santa Cruz

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks, bramble i’ve ordered some of that purely as its confirmed as working in newer gun 😀 Cheers!

clubby

Eek, £7.50 for 90ml!!!

I only paid £9 posted for the 400g of Mobil grease that Nobeer mentioned. Will fill that Hilka gun of yours many times over. Been using for a few regreases with no issues. Same stuff Hope use (sparingly, grrr) when assembling their stuff.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Bookmarking

arogers
    Free Member

+1 for Mobil XHP222. It’s great quality and has the added bonus of being very versatile. I use it for all bearings and some suspension duties (Fox recommend it too).

I think a lot of the Santa Cruz grease gun problems come from the fact that SC recommend marine grease in their pivots. Because marine grease is so thick it needs really high pressure to force through the ports and into pivots. The Mobile stuff isn’t so thick, so is much more user friendly.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think a lot of the Santa Cruz grease gun problems come from the fact that SC recommend marine grease in their pivots. Because marine grease is so thick it needs really high pressure to force through the ports and into pivots. The Mobile stuff isn’t so thick, so is much more user friendly.

I use both, and there isn’t a huge amount in it. XHP (which vastly superior) is still pretty thick. I think super lube is a fair bit thinner. I still use XHP, I think it’s a suitable product for the conditions we ride in.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Just an update, received the superlube synth and used it yesterday, fits the new gun perfect, lower pressure of newer gun kept seals firmly seated and flushed all the old winter gunk out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Lubricants/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Multi-Purpose/B000XBH9HI

I’ll report back in a few months, but went in much better than SC original grease which gets a lot of air bubbles and spills over the zerk port instead of going in very easily. Looks decent stuff on the specs.

psycorp
    Free Member

Same stuff I used to use on my Turner Flux and 5Spot. I still have an unopened tube of grease and the gun with the curved nozzle if anyone is interested.

mattyfez

Mobil xhp222 is about the best bearing grease around.

Exactly, I’m pretty sure santa cruz don’t manufacture thier own grease, it’ll just be rebranded.

benpinnick

I have a second hand one somewhere. PM me if you want it. Free barring postage.

alric
    Free Member

I have the hilka grease gun also, it stuck to the zerk 1st time I used it,
    Any tips to ensure it comes off easily next time I use it?
    The most suitable grease I could find locally is the Carlube Aquaslip Waterproof Marine grease. Anyone like this?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Still not sure how you blow the seals off. Never had that happen to me. The seals have a metal outer on the lower link.

As for grease, Marine grease is the best stuff to use. Good thick and waterproof.

Key to avoiding spilling out is to screw onto the grease port and press the gun firmly in place while pumping the grease in.

alric – Member 
    The most suitable grease I could find locally is the Carlube Aquaslip Waterproof Marine grease. Anyone like this?

Exactly what I’m using at the moment. Odd looking brown grease, but does the job fine. Was likewise just what I could find in a local hardware type shop (lot of boats round there so must be what they use for boaty stuff). Tub of it so I fill the old style SC gun from it as I mentioned above (Hilka gun branded Santa Cruz).

alric
    Free Member

that hilka grease gun is supposed to use bulk grease also. On mine the seal just slides through the grease. Am I supposed to put an empty cartridge in it first and then fill it up?

deadkenny
    Free Member

I left the original cartridge in there and just refilled it each time direct in the gun. Shove it into a tub of grease, pull lever up, repeat a few times until enough grease in there.

alric
    Free Member

then I guess I have to empty the hilka cartridge first….
    it can’t be too difficult, I got grease all over everything already, without trying…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz grease discontinued – original gun, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.