Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Santa Cruz Chameleon
  • rewski
    Free Member

Anyone got one – thoughts?

Tracey

We have three, thing they are great, also got a small frame which Abigale has out grown for sale

xc-steve
    Free Member

Had mine for 5ish years, abused in Morzine and many UK uplift days, been raced on 100k enduro’s and your more traditional style XC race and still begs for more!

Most adaptable bike I’ve owned only time I replace it will be if/when it breaks/gets stolen!

In its current 1×9 set up coming in at approx 25lb (have photographic evidence if anyone doubts me!):

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id probably have one, but for some reason SC decided to put bottle cage mounts on the seat so you cant drop the seatpost all the way down on the larger sizes. Idiots.

nickc

Best bike I’ve ever owned/ridden. Tough as old boots. Will do everything from DH to XC. I’ll be riding it until it falls apart and then I’ll buy a new one

Tracey

Our bottle mounts are on the downtube

Abigales

New

Old

Katies

Mine [won it]

rewski
    Free Member

nice looking bikes – what fork travel?

poppa
    Free Member

Presumably because you have small frame sizes, non?

ianv
    Free Member

Great bikes, really versatile. I jump mine and ride xc on it, also taken it on the lifts in the pyranees. However, it is harsh at the back and long rides become a bit of an uncomfortable chore even with biggish tyres.

Old ones look much nicer than the new one IMO

portlyone

I have one, handles everything I dare throw it at and probably can handle a lot more! I replaced the EBB to stop it squeaking, no other complaints. I’d buy another one

rewski
    Free Member

Thanks all for sharing

Tracey

Forks are 130mm Revelations

2 medium frames 1 small frame

rewski
    Free Member

I assume just aluminium frame?

Tracey

Yes

nickc

However, it is harsh at the back and long rides become a bit of an uncomfortable chore even with biggish tyres.

Never really got this, even huge days out, mine’s perfectly comfortable. Has more to do with the rider than the bike I think.

seat tube bottle mounts on large frame only.

Love those girl’s bikes Tracey 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I did not like mine, it was a real bone shaker and did not like rocks and roots. I am loving my Dialled Bikes Alpine though.

ianv
    Free Member

“Never really got this, even huge days out, mine’s perfectly comfortable. Has more to do with the rider than the bike I think”

Yeh maybe your aR$e is more padded than mine

GEDA
    Free Member

I am a stand up out of the saddle kind of rider as well and I just though it was harsh.

nickc

Yeh maybe your aR$e is more padded than mine

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Have a mk1 Chameleon, not representative of newer models perhaps?

However it has been awesome. Gone down Inners DH courses and been a team bike in 24hr races.

It does hurt if you have to sit down through rougher sections, which tends to happen when you are knackered. I run a 2.35 high roller to ease this a bit. However after longer 5+ hour rides I tend to feel a bit pummeled.

Horizontal dropouts are hilarious.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Oh.. and it has 140mm Maxle’d Thors. Had 130mm Toras, but it loves the Thors. Just pure gravy when the damn things can keep their air inside.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Id probably have one, but for some reason SC decided to put bottle cage mounts on the seat so you cant drop the seatpost all the way down on the larger sizes. Idiots.

poppa – Member
    Presumably because you have small frame sizes, non?

My XL has no bottle cage mounts on the seat tube either. I’d ignore the comment.

Great bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My XL has no bottle cage mounts on the seat tube either. I’d ignore the comment.

Yours is probably old and shit then, the new ones seem to have.

oxnop
    Free Member

I had a 2009 model with EBB.

I ran a large with a 60mm stem and 140 Pikes.

Never really got on with it as I always felt it was too harsh (i’m not old either 🙂 ) Id sold it within 3 months.

Lots of people rave about them though

rob2
    Free Member

bought one second hand off here, one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned. Really direct and immense fun.

Use 130mm magura’s.

elliott-20
    Free Member

If Carlsberg made a hardtail…

Seriously, mines a 2004 model and I have loved it ever since I brought it home. I’ve since swapped the stem for a short Thomson and lower riser bars which has made it snappier at the front but apart from that it’s still as is the photo.

I shall be looking to upgrade some of the bits very soon (forks, brakes, front wheel) but that’s only for the want and not for the need.

RealMan
    Free Member

Chameleon you say?

I could post pictures on here all day of my chameleon. So I will..

(Not the engine equipped model unfortunately)

Racing shots

Harsh? Its mountain biking. If you want comfy, stay at home and sit in armchair. Honestly. Its the best bike I’ve ever had.

Oh and leaning against a wall shot..

Adjustable fork is brilliant on it. It climbs so beautifully at 110mm, and then you wind it up to 140mm, shove the saddle down, and just rip it up. Its so stiff, its so responsive, its so nearly perfect. Only things I don’t like about it are the EBB (I’d rather have sliding drop outs for SS duties – easier to maintain). And some of the welding isn’t that UK friendly, but these are just niggles. Some people (me included) can suffer with a creaky EBB from these two slight faults. But when you just stop listening to the creak that pops up now and then under big power, you realise you’re riding something very, very special.

God I want to ride it right now. It doesn’t help that its right next to me (my leg is leaning against the wheel).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Chameleon’ is closed to new replies.