Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Santa Cruz Blur TR – opinions or alternatives
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Looking (maybe) for a replacement for my 15 year old Turner RFX, this looks like a promising frame. Anyone own one or owned one and got rid?
    I like to ride technical drops / jumps / DH but also ride trail centres and natural stuff in N. Wales / Lake district. Emphasis is on having fun, not necessarily is being the absolute fastest up or down the hill.

andyr
    Free Member

I got one back in Jan to replace my old Spesh FSR-XC. It’s bloody brilliant!

Way more capable downhill but perfectly happy to climb and run through the tight twisty paths in the local woods. I’ve taken it on long moorland rides in the Pennines and it was a lovely bike to be on but it begs to be hammered downhill as quick as you can go. Grins a plenty. I’ve got it with 150mm Pikes (SC only recommend 140 forks max but I spoke to Stif/Jungle and they recommended putting 150 forks on) gives about a 67 degree head angle for hooning DH and having fun. The front is really easy to lift even with my 70mm stem.

Pedals really easily with no hint of bob even with the shock open, first bit of rear travel feels really fluid but then ramps up to give a larger than 125mm travel feel. I’m really happy I got it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Cheers Andy. What size did you go for and how tall are you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was dead set and about to pull the trigger until I spotted the LTc was slightly lighter at the time and there was a no brainer deal.

andyr
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ with a 33″ inside leg (I’ve got a long back). I got the XL.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I was dead set and about to pull the trigger until I spotted the LTc was slightly lighter at the time and there was a no brainer deal.

Yeah I spotted the LT / LTc but looks like the TR is longer for a given size, lower BB shorter chainstays and shorter travel. 125mm feels bang on for the riding I do which is one of the reasons I like the look of the TR.

Cheers for the sizing info Andy. At 6′ I’d be looking at a large I think.

Edit – dammit SC! Was looking at the wrong geo chart and have seen that the large has a 19.5″ seat tube – now some people may say that doesn’t matter but to me it does, anything over 18.5″ just looks wrong for my height.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah I was looking at the shorter travel but as I said the deal was too good. As for the other measurements, can’t fault the LTc at all and nothing about the bike slows me down. Unless you are bringing wheels and forks with you take a look at the Solo for the 650b option and futureproofing.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Unless you are bringing wheels and forks with you take a look at the Solo for the 650b option and futureproofing.

Not going to start a wheel size debate but am looking 26″ frames only.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

should keep the choices limited then 😉

fathomer

I’ve got a large TRc and I’m 6″. It’s my first full sus but out of the 6/7 I demoed it was easily the most fun, it seems to encourage speed and being popped off everything. I also rode an alloy version and was all set to buy one until I got a really good price on the carbon. The only difference was the weight, which wasn’t noticeable other than on the climbs.

If your local to Leicester you’re quite welcome to come and have a go for size.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qTZutY]Hope Valley[/url] by Sam Dexter, on Flickr

Stevelol
    Free Member

I had a TRc for well over a year, brilliant bike, probably the most fun I’ve had on 2 wheels. It’s very capable but won’t flatter you like a 160mm ‘Enduro’ bike, it’s a great all rounder. I rode mine all around the peaks, most welsh & scottish trail centres, Snowdon a couiple of times, it handled everything and rewarded smooth line choice.

I’ve replaced it with a Solo C under warranty due to the TRc’s well documented bonding issues, the TR alloy will be fine, I’d still be riding the TRc today if it hadn’t been warrantied.

Superficial
    Free Member

The obvious alternative is a Yeti ASR -5. They came out at much the same time, very similar geometry (the yeti arguably more progressive / modern with a longer top tube) and same travel, angles etc. The yeti is obviously single pivot vs vpp on the santa clause. There is no video of Miami Bryce ragging a Yeti.

I had a Yeti but secretly lusted after a TRc, until I rose one which felt a bit short to me and not especially game changing. I loved the Yeti, great fun.

SOAP
    Free Member

Great trail/xc bike with shite bearings. I got through 3 sets in a year. (no wonder they are free)
    IMO Santa Cruz bikes are only good if they are given to you. In other words your sponsored;)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

interesting point on the bearings as my Ltc is still perfect 2 years in on original bearings. The ex had one and hasn’t changed her’s in longer and over 12 months on the Tallboy on original ones. Most of the local riders seem to be going fine.

fathomer

Superficial – Member
    The obvious alternative is a Yeti ASR -5.

The ASR5 is the obvious choice. I had my heart set on one but just didn’t feel right, hence the TRc. Different horses for different courses.

SOAP – Member
    Great trail/xc bike with shite bearings. I got through 3 sets in a year. (no wonder they are free)
    IMO Santa Cruz bikes are only good if they are given to you. In other words your sponsored;)

I changed mine in April after about 20months of use through all sorts of crappy conditions.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My large is in the classifieds, I should have got an XL.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

6′ 2″ rode a large heckler for years. Now ride an extra large Blur Lt2.

Both sizes were fine very little in it.

How much is the trc? Vs an lt or ltc?

LT2 is a peach, all day epic outing bike, approx 28.5 lbs, 140/150 rear front travel. Bearings doing well, climbs amazing and floats downhill. Real high grin factor handling.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I went through 1 bearing in 12 months on my TRc. User error 🙂

funkybaj
    Free Member

125mm feels bang on for the riding I do which is one of the reasons I like the look of the TR.

Take a look at the Transition Bandit too if you’ve not already. Another shorter travel bike that’s designed to take some rough.

Fat-boy-fat

I didn’t think TRs were available any more. I’ve got an XL TRc. I’ve had one since they came out as it is the nearest thing I could find to an original blur (still my favorite bike ever).

I did have to get the frame replaced under warranty due to the issue with the bearing bonding. I had hoped to get a Solo as a replacement (it doesn’t have the same issues) but there were still TRcs available, so that didn’t happen.

I’ve had the new frame for about 3 years now and have had no issues with the bearings or bonding. Fantastic bike. Incredibly light, fast and fun but still able to take punishment.

Can’t recommend one enough as long as you are getting it direct from Santa Cruz and can take advantage of the frame warranty. I wouldn’t buy one second hand though for that very reason.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay I’ve been down the rabbit hole a little bit and seem some lovely looking alu TR’s, but they’re all mediums. The 19.5″ seat tube on the large would really annoy me! But I found this geo chart which shows a seat tube length of 18.5″ for a large so was there a model year with a shorter seat tube or is this chart wrong?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why would the extra inch annoy you?

now some people may say that doesn’t matter but to me it does, anything over 18.5″ just looks wrong for my height.

How can you tell when you are sat on it? For a mate it was the limit on the dropper post length that kept him off a Tallboy

theocb
    Free Member

A new large TRc on Alltricks for £1200 or so… (if you can get over the concerns with how that extra inch will ruin your street cred :0)
    Builds into a lovely trail bike with 5lb frame weight.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Why would the extra inch annoy you?

Just Because It Would. I know it would. I know it now, and no matter how much I can rationalise in my head it making no difference I know that every time I look at it I’ll think Damn that looks too big! its a crap excuse but I can’t get around it and I’m not going to make that mistake again!

… (if you can get over the concerns with how that extra inch will ruin your street cred :0)

I can’t!! Its not my street cred, but to me a bike has too look right to feel confident on it. Yes I know that makes me sound like a twunt.

theocb
    Free Member

😀 Nah, we all have our little quirks..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough but locking in 26″ wheels and a maximum seat tube length (all will actually look different depending on the frame) you are crossing a lot from a short list.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You may be right.
    All I want is an 18″ seat tube, 24″ top tube, 67 head angle, 72 seat angle, 26″ wheels, 44mm head tube, threaded BB, 5″ rear travel, dropper post compatible full sus frame that can handle xc rides in the lakes, jump trails, 20ft + gap jumps, 8 ft + drops and weigh under 30lbs fully built.

Is that a lot to ask?…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

67 head angle, 72 seat angle,

Static or sagged….

As said no longer in the main range so you will be looking at used or sale ends, have you found one?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Static. I could move a bit on the angles if I felt the ride wasn’t compromised. And no, I haven’t found owt yet. Came close with the Banshee spitfire.

sparkyrhino

I love mine, i’m 5.9 and i have a medium, we share a bed;-)

Fat-boy-fat

Not sure about how well the tr would stand up to the gap jumps and drops you’ve stated.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Not really sure what the seat tube lengths all about?

Heres the Blur LT specs for reference
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/blur_lt

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have a TR A, 6ft 2 and 32″ and ride a large with a 70mm stem. It is superb. Big fan of Santacruz after owning a Heckler for years. When this one wears out I’ll get another short travel SC.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not sure about how well the tr would stand up to the gap jumps and drops you’ve stated.

Interesting, had it pegged as quite a solid short travel bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone actually snapped a SC carbon bike?

– not the bonding issue

andyr
    Free Member

Have you seen the video of ratboy thrashing it?

[video]https://vimeo.com/57828299[/video]

Fat-boy-fat

Ratboy is a wee bit different from most folk. Also, he’s a sponsored rider. If he knackers it, there’s a new one.

8 ft drops seem a bit much for the TR to me. Yeah, it is a pretty solid bike but it wouldn’t be the first choice for that sort of action. It really is more a get in dem dare hills bike than a jump bike (20 ft gap jumps and 8 ft drops sit in the jump bike category for me but I’m an old wuss).

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s one thing saying that the frame can withstand 8′ drops (maybe it can, I don’t know) but to build it with other components that would also take that sort of abuse, the full bike is going to need to be a fair bit heavier (and therefore compromised) than what I would call a sensible build. My ASR-5 would handle being ridden fast downhill in an XC style including in the alps but I wouldn’t take it off big hucks intentionally. It’s much better as an all day ride it like you stole it fast up and fast down bike.

TLDR; they work better as zippy trail bikes than huck machines.

Stevet1
    Free Member

My Turner has survived those kind of drops for 14 years and is still in one piece. An 8′ drop to even a fairly mellow transition is not that hard on parts. Build would be Lyriks / DT EX1750 wheels / Renthal etc. Current build in 31 lbs.

<sigh> Maybe I should jus keep the Turner going for another 14 years. Trouble is with a 50mm stem it is quite short, and ideally I’d like to run a 40mm like I have on my hardtail.

chiefgrooveguru

I was about to suggest the Spitfire but I see you’ve already considered it.

8′ drops can be very hard on a bike or almost insignificant – I’m not great at drops, I’ll go off ones that seem a few feet high depending on my mood but I measured a local drop to downslope from tyre landing mark to lip vertically and it’s 6′ – and feels a much softer landing than a slow 2′ to flat. That 6′ vertical drop is rollable if you go slow enough, the vertical edge of it is only about 18″ high at most.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Blur TR – opinions or alternatives’ is closed to new replies.